What bass lures do I *need* to have

Breach

I used to fish quite a lot when i was a kid, but that was many years ago and Im just starting back up now. I got myself a nice little rod and reel, but I completely forget what I used to use for bass fishing. I know I used to use texas rigs a lot, never tried carolina or weightless. Is a few spinnerbaits and some stuff to make texas rigs all i really need for some bass fishing? Going to be hopefully going down to Toronto Islands next weekend to try out my new rod and hope to catch a few bass.

I fish tournaments and guide part time.

If I could rig up 10 rods with general baits ... here's what I would have

1. Spinnerbait (1/2 oz white, with double willow blades)

2. Senko (5" watermelon)

3. Tube (1/4 oz head with a 4/0 hook, watermelon/red fleck in colour)

4. Pop'n Image (colour not important, white belly)

5. Lucky Craft Pointer 98 (Aurora Black)

6. Berkley Power Worm ( Black )

7. Zoom Trick Worm (Green Pumpkin wacky rigged on a small octopus hook with a few small split shot)

8. Rapala DT10 Crankbait (Perch)

9. Zoom Super Fluke (White)

10. Zoom Horny Toad (white with a 5/0 widegap hook)

Hope this helps

Guest skeeter99

1. spro frog (put a couple of big dots on the botom with magic marker)

2. excalibur wake bait (lemon lime)

3. stanley icon spinnerbait (tennesee shad)

3. triple rattleback jig, with a chunk

4. basstrix swimbait

5. 8 inch plastic worm

6. tiki sticks (bruised orange)

7. suspending jerk bait (suspending thunderstick) they are discontinued if you got any I will pay $15 a peice for them

8. bagley balsa B's

9. pop-r (shave all paint off and just use the plastic color)

10. tubes (st209 color nickname "baby pooh") with rattling hooks wont hurt either

11. lunker city salad spoon

12. herbs billy

13. manns baby 1 minus (any color seems to work)

14. horny toads (stick with black for all around performance)

and now can you see why I have no room on the bass boats deck when I am in a tournament, too many things to tie on LOL!!!!

Edited by skeeter99

I fish tournaments and guide part time.

If I could rig up 10 rods with general baits ... here's what I would have

1. Spinnerbait (1/2 oz white, with double willow blades)

2. Senko (5" watermelon)

3. Tube (1/4 oz head with a 4/0 hook, watermelon/red fleck in colour)

4. Pop'n Image (colour not important, white belly)

5. Lucky Craft Pointer 98 (Aurora Black)

6. Berkley Power Worm ( Black )

7. Zoom Trick Worm (Green Pumpkin wacky rigged on a small octopus hook with a few small split shot)

8. Rapala DT10 Crankbait (Perch)

9. Zoom Super Fluke (White)

10. Zoom Horny Toad (white with a 5/0 widegap hook)

Hope this helps

I second Steve. Thats is almost exactly what I bring with me.

You don`t have to break the bank to get started, consider your ability to cover a variety of water depths with a minimum amount of lures and go from there.

Plastic worms, lizards, tubes, ect. can be rigged a variety of ways to cover different water depths.

Jigs, swim them or fish on the bottom.

Spinnerbaits slow rolled near or on the bottom to near the top, even in line spinners can work well at times.

Some type of surface lure, buzzbait, pop-r, torpedo, devils horse, frog a lot of them out there and a matter of choice.

Crankbaits, you don`t have to buy a bunch of one style, just get some that will cover a few different depths to start. Ones like a rattle trap style you can adjust the depth by retrieve speed.

Thing about bass is they'll smack just about anything. I use a spinner bait for searching. Stick baits for flat water. When the bite is slow I downsize to crappie baits on a slip float with some phenomenal results. Of course every method mentioned is gonna bag fish. it's all about establishing a comfort zone and styles of fishing that work for you.

I have power worms but used Zoom u-tails more often, just a personal choice. Rigging can vary a bit more for me than probably for most anglers.

Cover sort of dictates the choice, solid cover like trees,boat docks,heavy weeds make the first choice a Texas rig, even though the soft plastic baits are sort of cheap I don`t want to be snagged a lot, wastes time and spooks fish.

Around lily pads and such same deal without the weight usually worm with a 3/0 - 4/0 wide gap worm hook, weight of the hook lets it slither down.

Sparse weeds, light cover I will put a worm-lizard on a light jig head, ball, worm nosed, exposed hook means better chance for a good hook up.

Carolina rig works, allows you to cover areas of sparse weeds and what ever faster.

Just my choice at least a 2/0 hook, L/M S/M even smaller ones have no problems with them. Fishing waters that I know have bigger than average bass a 4/0 even 5/0 hook.

Quality hooks may not seem important, but they are, don`t try to save a buck on hooks. I use Mustad wide gaps or Gammies for the most part and I make my own ball or worm nosed with good hooks.

I was slow to jump on the Lizard bandwagon, they work and average size of the bass tends to be larger, just a bigger profile lure compared to a worm.