Near-shore June Salmon

Master of Bait

Hey guys and gals,

I promised a while back to post a pic when I finally developed a roll from the disposable camera I use. Anyway, that was June, and now I finally have the pics (will buy a cheap digital soon)!

Anyway, the fish in question is a salmon I caught while flatlining in 12 feet near shore on June 20th. I just thought it was interesting to see just how cold the water still was at that time. My guess is that it's a coho but, since I took the pics with a disposable, the pics are not that clear.

Here are the two shots I got:

Image014_22A.jpg

Image013_21A.jpg

Also, on a funny note, I caught a white bass and a sucker on the same rapala crankbait within about an hour in the same general area.

Image015_23A.jpg

There's just nothing more exciting than crankbait suckering!

Image012_20A.jpg

Cheers,

MoB

Hey guys,

That's really cool about this being an Atlantic. Thanks for the Id. Who'd a known?

As for the regs, don't panic, the fish was, in fact, released! I usually try to refain from meat hunting in Lake O.

By the way, I think I read something once about ministry people asking for angler info on Atlantic catches. Anyone know about this? I'd send them a link to the post if I knew who was tracking catches.

Cheers,

MoB

LOL. Funny how people seem to jump on the Atlantic bandwagon everytime.. I believe the hopes of seeing a salmo salar are so great that it kinda creates a euphoria where anything remotely resembling this fish would be deemed an atlantic.

Those are all really kewl catches. And Master of Bait, that's a great technique for early spring... I'd love to try it!

But those are not Atlantics. First fish (might) be a coho, and that second fish, is a chrome brown trout.

I won't post links, and am not interested in continuing on with this thread, but I'd be willing to bet that if these pictures were shown to a fisheries biologist, of even better, if you kept scale samples and sent them in, the id of the fish would be confirmed to be another species.

Flame away, but before you do, I'm sure that there are others here who share my idea. People such as myself who have worked in fisheries and have knowledge of fish taxonomy.

Nice thread! Let's keep it civil.

cheers

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

From what I gathered of Master of Baits post both those pics are of the same fish. Perhaps he can clarify as it looks to be the same fish to me.

Forked tail, no spots on tail and the tail has a thin base my guess Atlantic. Be interesting to get it confirmed.

LOL. Funny how people seem to jump on the Atlantic bandwagon everytime.. I believe the hopes of seeing a salmo salar are so great that it kinda creates a euphoria where anything remotely resembling this fish would be deemed an atlantic.

Those are all really kewl catches. And Master of Bait, that's a great technique for early spring... I'd love to try it!

But those are not Atlantics. First fish (might) be a coho, and that second fish, is a chrome brown trout.

I won't post links, and am not interested in continuing on with this thread, but I'd be willing to bet that if these pictures were shown to a fisheries biologist, of even better, if you kept scale samples and sent them in, the id of the fish would be confirmed to be another species.

Flame away, but before you do, I'm sure that there are others here who share my idea. People such as myself who have worked in fisheries and have knowledge of fish taxonomy.

cheers

HD

Those who have knowledge of fish taxonomy would know that brown trout dont have forked tails

cheers

HD

Salmo salar tard!!!

;)

Hey guys,

Yup, both shots are of the same fish. I was solo so I netted him, snapped a shot, he flopped out of the net, I snapped a second shot and tossed him back in right away. No harm, no foul, he looked fine swimming off.

Thanks for the contacts for Atlantic Salmon info. Will pass along.

Cheers,

MoB