Anyone have any experience with LEGEND

Shane70

Posting this for a buddy, he is looking at getting the following:

2009 LEGEND 16ft pro sport (tiller)

Live well, floor, deck, storage

25hp 2 stroke MERC (NEW)

Trailer

$7600 out the door

I think this seems reasonable , but I am not familiar with LEGEND at all.

Anyone have any experience goo/bad with them?

Edited by Shane70

just 9 pages on this board alone with the word Legend... ;):D

I look forward to others posts as I am now starting my search for a new toy...

I agree, i did the search, read through 9 pages, LOL. I guess I knew before I posted that it would be mixed opinions, it is almost like starting a convo regarding religion, or auto manufactureers. LOL

Either way, I have read a ton, and have printed some posts for my buddy to read.

I do not have an opinion or Legend other than they look nice.

I do haev an opinion on the motor....how much more is a 4 stroke?

Not exactly sure Forrest, it is my budy that has been in contact with the salesman as it is for him, however according to their website it looks like the difference to goto a 25hp 4 stroker is:

$1400 manual start

$1700 electric

Legend packages are notoriously underpowered, that's one reason the sell for less money than others. Look at the rated HP on he plate and try to match it or at least 80% of the rating...you won't regret it; and yes if possible go 4 stroke. As far as Legend itself you will get different opinions just like Ford, Gm and Dodge. The best thing to do if possible is ask a couple of people that own them. Every manufacture, yes even Lund, has lemons the question is just who has the lowest ratio of them per manufactured product.

Edited by Garyv

negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. Check US prices for the same product.

Maybe he has done so already: Its his purchase but he should research the substantial differences between the 2 and 4 stroke.

About Legend packages being notoriously under powered:

The package probably is under powered but your friend may not care and have just as much fun getting around at 20 MPH has he does 40mph. There are other consequences too (I am not an authority) but I would ask in a separate thread what they are. Most everyone will say "get the most engine you can afford", I do not agree with that. Check out CCMT's posts too....he has a smaller boat and catches a TON of fish on Lake Ontario and others.

Get your buddy to get the weight of the boat and get the prop selector chart from the dealer, its at the front of the motors service manual....it will rate the motor on a chart with prop pitches/weights/speeds. Post the info if you post a motor power question.

Forrest

Check out CCMT's posts too....he has a smaller boat and catches a TON of fish on Lake Ontario and others.

Not quite true forrest....I have only fished Lake O a few times...and I didn't catch a ton of fish when I did....LOL.

Our little 14 ft tinny (only a 5 foot wide beam), has a 1983 merc 18hp motor on it....it does 25 mph with both bly and I in the boat. Gets on a plane nice and easy at around 2/3 throttle.

My brother just bought that 16 foot Legend you are looking at....I told him to get at least a 40hp on it, so he got a deal on it...I believe it was 8500 out the door....he bought his in Alberta as that's where he lives.

Good luck!!

Good solid hull on the Legend. It may not be a thoroughbred, but a solid comfortable workhorse. You can upgrade on the power package. I didn't.

4 stroke all the way, very quiet and clean. I have the 25/4 my buddy has the 25/2. I use up to a third less gas. With the 16'4" side console and 2 persons we do 25 mph full out. Of course I want to enjoy the ride and take in the scenery. Speed is not an issue.

As for service, each dealer has a different level pf performance. Nichol's on Ft Erie has been stellar. The dealer I purchased from has been a turd.

i have heard great things about legends, my buddy has a 17ft with 60 4 stroke and he loves it!

As for the motor, if you don't need to go fast then why bother upgrading? that being said if you are on lakes like simcoe, nipissing where you may need to get off the water in a hurry then higher hp is a good idea.

Cheers!

My buddy has a 15ft legend and it's a great boat. You can't beat the price either!!! As mentioned above you need to get a motor close to 80% of the maximum hp rating to get your boat on plane otherwise it's gonna be a rough ride if it's choppy.

I purchased a 16' legend prosport this spring. Having been in aluminum boats for over 20 years.I lived on an island and boated to work everyday 7 monts of the year, using mostly starcrafts and alumamarines, lunds etc.,

I shopped around and the boat I purchased has a floor adding to the weight. Based on experience I outfitted my boat with a 30 hp electric. It is well suited to the boat as I myself weigh over 300 lbs. With two fishing buddies it moves along quite well. My son by himself flies in the boat. I chose a 2 stroke as it was 2000.00 cheaper than a four stroke. I am pleased with the package.

Yes, Legend pkgs are all underpowered leaving the experienced boater with options to upgrade to the necessary hp. Unfortunately most buyers have not been in boats as much as I have and end up with an underpowered boat.

Agreed, Lund owners don't envy Legend owners :whistling:

Yeah, but I paid 1/2 for the exact same package that Lund offered for what is still a couple of pieces of tinfoil some bar stools and a few scraps of carpet pushed by a Merc. Spend the money on the boat or spend it on fishing. Brand loyalty only goes so far.

We all know you have to compare apples to apples. I have been looking at Legend for two seasons now. (own a 14' Lund with 15 hp 4s) I have talked to a lot of Legend owners here on Simcoe. All seem satified with the boat. A few have had problems with the Merc motor but that's Merc. No one I have chatted with had a bad thing to say about the boat or the local dealer. I live not far from the dealer and like to buy local. Still haven't made my mind up yet and will probally have to wait till next season.

RR

I currently own a Legend 15 1/2ft with a 40hp 2 stroke. I am quite happy with the boat. The rivited hull is made by Smokercraft and finished in Legend's pland in Sudbury. Their welded hulls are made by Monark and again finally asembly/finish at their Sudbury plant. Both hull manufacturers sell their own versions of these boats.

Yes the boats in the showroom appear to be underpowered, but a 25hp will move you along quite briskly if fishing is the plan. My first boat was a 14ft Starcarft with a 25hp, if I picked my days, Lake O salmon were within my reach.

For fish & ski models, max hp is the way. The motor mfgs have perfected the two stroke technology, and IMO a four stroke will add a lot more weight to your boat. It really is a trade off with the price of gas today. You may save a few dollars per outing with a 4 stroke vs a 2 stroke, but your savings at purchase can go a long way to keeping your tanks full.

Just John

I Love my legend.. like everything in life you want more space, speed, power etc.. but when it really comes down too it, I get where I am going, I sometime catch fish and return home.

Was my boat underpowered??? With me and the dog nope, with 3 people sort of, 4 people yeap.

Get what you can afford. If only the boat was all the cost of fishing to worry about, then comes the riggers, baits, travel cost's etc

Enjoy