Boat explodes and burns

danc

Probably a simple case of trying to prevent one thing from happening without giving thought to what could happen without using the blower to clear the engine compartment. Trolling with a kicker the has the ability to provide enough pressure ( air force ) to not allow the vents from the engine compartment to let fumes escape. I would be willing to bet that's what happened. Guy is lucky to be alive and / or not burned.

Being around boats all my life that's not the first time to see that. Fumes in the engine compartment is the usual cause.

Also seen guys cheap out on using the wrong parts too. Using a car alternator in place of a shielded I/O alternator is a good example. When the fumes explode there is no time for an extinguisher.

Good reminder for us all Dan!

Being around boats all my life that's not the first time to see that. Fumes in the engine compartment is the usual cause.

Also seen guys cheap out on using the wrong parts too. Using a car alternator in place of a shielded I/O alternator is a good example. When the fumes explode there is no time for an extinguisher.

Good reminder for us all Dan!

I agree I've seen many a guy using car parts on there I/O engines instead of using marine grade parts. I always leave the blower going from the time I get on board, better safe then sorry

Sounds like gasoline fumes igniting to me, starting the inboard without turning the blower on?

If you read the article the first explosion happened after he bent over and flipped the ignition. It is obvious that gas released from an earlier meal caused the initial explosion that then ruptured the boats gas tank and blew it up.