Grand River Fishing

j6kwok

so I'm fairly new to this forum and I read a lot of threads which were helpful and very informative. My question though is where can you fish on the Grand River. I'm from the east end border line Scarborough and Pickering and pretty much this whole season I've went to most of the east end lakes to fish. I really want to end the season before school starts to try the west end. Mainly I want to fish walleyes and both small and large mouth bass. To be more precise just mainly anywhere in the west end shore fishing would be good. If you guys don't want to post up publicly where the spots are please feel free to PM me thanks all

Edited by Jacky124

The Grand River runs from Fergus to Port Maitland on Lake Erie. You can fish at any of the towns it runs through and many places in between.

There are always people fishing from shore at the pier at Port Maitland and the dam at Dunnville. These two spots might be your best shot at a Walleye.

Below the dam at Caledonia is another good spot. There's a Bait Store across from the dam and they will give you tips and information etc.

At Fergus there is a dam, behind the dam is Belwood Lake...Pike and Bass. Below the dam there is trout fishing...but there are special regulations in effect, so be sure you know what the rules are. I don't know much about the area between Belwood and Caledonia, but if you check with the local bait shops they will know what's going on.

If you want smallies there aren't many spots you can't fish on the grand, just go for a drive along the river and there are plenty of access points. If you want walleye you'll want to stay in the southern end of the river, which also holds bass. check out the GRCA website and they'll tell you what species are located in each part of the river, though they're a little biased and sometimes overate the fishing a little in some spots (or maybe I just haven't figured out how to fish these areas yet?:o ). There are also many tributaries of the grand you can fish but I've done better fishing the Grand itself.

Edited by timmeh

Come down to Fishmasters Bait and Tackle. We are in Dunnville, just East of town right on the river. You can fish from shore for just about anything and if you spend some time talking to anyone in the shop they will point you in the right direction.

Let us know how you do and where you ended up fishing and what you caught.

And remember have fun

Cheers

Jen

just outside caledonia there is a park on the right side. park there and walk down the trail till you get near the power lines over the water. If you have a float reel use it and float fish worms or shrimp in spawn sac material on the bottom. Lots of catfish and bass there. The better areas you will have to get wet and wade in the water. good luck

Cambridge, Paris, Brantford, Caledonia, York, Cayuga, Dunnville.. all have the species you're looking for. For smallies, Paris is my favourite stretch. The fish aren't necessarily big and it has it's tough days, but it's my favourite stretch for scenery.

For numbers of fish Caledonia/York is my favourite. The Grand takes some work, especially for the walleye, but you can have spectacular days there.

• 2 years later...

Cambridge, Paris, Brantford, Caledonia, York, Cayuga, Dunnville.. all have the species you're looking for. For smallies, Paris is my favourite stretch. The fish aren't necessarily big and it has it's tough days, but it's my favourite stretch for scenery.

For numbers of fish Caledonia/York is my favourite. The Grand takes some work, especially for the walleye, but you can have spectacular days there.

Yes so many fish in the grand by York, some days may be boring with no action at all then the next turns out to be spectacular . One day had Bass,walleye,mooneye,carp,rockbass all in the same spot from shore