northwestern ontario

goodtimer

As some of you may already know, a buddy and I are headed out in less than two weeks and I hoping for some help and suggestions on where to fish. Driving from Hamilton to Edmonton and we don't have any time constraints so I think we'll spend about a week or 2 fishing NW Ontario. Probably 2 nights at 3 different camps (hopefully tenting), and then spend an entire week at a single fishing camp, in a cabin.

WHERE WOULD YOU FISH????

Even if I can get some general locations. I've been searching the SunsetCountry website quite thoroughly and I'm really having a tough time deciding where to go. There are just too many places to choose from. I was looking at Ignace/Dryden area but it seems like it's pretty popular, and maybe not as remote as I'd like. Maybe north of there?, farther away from the trans hwy?? or is south a better choice?

I'm looking for somewhat smaller lakes, with fair prices, boat rentals, possible boat caches on other lakes, possible tenting allowed. Pike, muskie and bass are what we want. Exceptional fishing is our top priority. I know the main ones like Lake of the Woods and Eagle Lake but I think those are too big of lakes for my liking, and don't want wind affecting if I can fish or not, or me requiring a big boat, or me getting lost.

If anyone can offer any suggestions and tell me a little about their experiences I would be very thankful!! I wish I had something to offer in return but I think all I got is a big THANK YOU and hopefully a great report when I return. Feel free to PM me. Thanks OFC.

Goodtimer, I'm planning to be fishing Little Vermilion Lake (north of Red Lake) from September 13-27. It holds lots of huge pike and tons of small to medium walleyes. No bass. No muskies. Late season fishing is always rewarding on LV. There won't be many boats on the lake and you'd have your own cabin.

I'd see that you get on fish starting the first morning and might take you out for a while if you promise not to load me up with too many Notre Dame stories. Maybe your sweatshirt came from a garage sale.

I have a hidden motive since my boat could be the only one on the water and I'd like having another around to come looking for me after dark some night in case our prop finds a rock.

A smaller lake than Rainy/Eagle/LOTW is called Thaddeus Lake north of Dryden---I want to say about an hour

Good smallie fishing and muskie--walleyes as well---I believe there's a lodge there --don't know if they'll rent boats but it's only a call

Bushart

www.oldpost.com

a few hours north of Thunder bay located on the shores of Lake St.Joseph (pickle lake district)

Monster Pike and countless pickeral. So many its almost boring.. John Grace is a great host and his staff is first class, as well as the

accomodations.

Edited by sturgman

http://www.seineriverlodge.com/

Located between Atikokan and Fort Frances off Hwy 11. I was there for a week and enjoyed the place. Unfortunately I was working in the area so I never had time to fish. They have tent camping, cabins, and boat rentals. Access to 5 lakes without getting out of your boat, boat caches in, I think 5 other lakes.

Walleye, Small Mouth, Lake trout, Pike

I hope this helps

Wes

Edited by Wes

Hey goodtimer,

I live n Dryden, but i'm fairly new here...1 1/2 years.....i actually dont know what the lodges etc are like cuz i have no need for them, i think all the lakes are good round here, the ones that are limited access are good.....i feel as though i should be able to help more...lol...considering i'm right here....but hey feel free to pm me if ya need anything.

PS....I was meant to be in a Bass tournament with the local tackle shop owner and his son...unfortunately i had other things going on....but when i spoke to Kevin about it later(they came 3rd) he said that the amount of bass in this lake was ridiculous.....his buddy took a little click counter wth him on one day and after reaching the 200 count gave up clicking!!!! Kevins a pretty decent guy and i fish often with his son so dont think he would Bull me. Anyway that Lake is called Little Vermillion and apart from Bass is renowned for Musky and Lake Trout too, i'm not sure about walleye but its all part of the Lac Seul chain and the walleye fishing here is fantastic...i catch 25" walleye for fun on the lake at work in Sioux Lookout, in spring anyway, but we have fished lac seul recently and there is some good fishing....

Hello,

I just came back from fishing a Professional Walleye Trail tournament on Wabigoon Lake in Dryden. During 6 days of practice I caught well over a 1000 walleye and many nice pike. Every point, island and mid lake hump you stop at holds fish.

-sheldon

I live on Lake Wabigoon...'TIS TRUE WHAT SHELDON SAYS!!!! but there are some better little lakes around which i'm slowly starting to explore...Tallman Lake, Grassy Bay(Lac Seul), Anaway Lake, Basket Lake, Route Lake all are better for walleye IMHO...and like i said i fish the Goon (wabigoon) almost daily!

There are bass on Wabigoon chain...but they can be difficult to get into.....but if you do try Wabigoon for Bass go into Butler Lake and Mile and Trap Lakes......they are connected to the main lakes. There are also lots of Musky on Wabigoon apparently.....i have caught a few tiger musky...small...but the local camps cater for musky fishermen...try Indian Point Camp (visible from my house) or perhaps Bonny Bay camp.

If you have specific questions i could more than likely tap into my friends' local knowledge for ya...might take a day or 2 to track them down though...they will probably be out fishing....lol.

Edited by limeyangler

I may be a little biased as I live in nw ont right on the us border smack between lotw and rainy

a few areas i have personally fished that i could suggest are

the pipestone burditt(locals call it clearwater) chain lots of camps to stay at many with outposts on connecting lakes

nestor falls area which would put you on lotw or kakagi (crow) lake as well as numerous small lakes

or my personal favorite for smallies and pike would be the mine centre atikokan area

if you like i could send you some names of camps that i know the owners of as alot of them deal with us here at the home hardware store i work at

Thank you all. Great input. Everyone's comments have made narrowing down my options much easier...and at the same time gotten me VERY excited for this roadie. Nothing set yet, going to talk things over with my buddy tonight. Will keep you updated on destination choices. Am still welcome to more suggestions if anyone's gottem'.

i second LOTW or rainy lake 2 great fisheries. If u have not drove that far NW b4 u will be overwhelmed with the amount of potential fishing spots on Huron and Superior as well just along side the road itz crazy. Good luck.
Never driven that way so yeah I am REALLY looking forward to seeing the landscape up there...

Goodtimer, I'm planning to be fishing Little Vermilion Lake (north of Red Lake) from September 13-27. It holds lots of huge pike and tons of small to medium walleyes. No bass. No muskies. Late season fishing is always rewarding on LV. There won't be many boats on the lake and you'd have your own cabin.

I'd see that you get on fish starting the first morning and might take you out for a while if you promise not to load me up with too many Notre Dame stories. Maybe your sweatshirt came from a garage sale.

I have a hidden motive since my boat could be the only one on the water and I'd like having another around to come looking for me after dark some night in case our prop finds a rock.

Sounds like a great lake. I couldn't find any lodges on LV. I'd need at least a rental boat and a camp site. Where do you stay?

P.S. - Notre Dame sweater came from campus crew...$20 haha it's nice and warm. No football stories from this guy, maybe a few fish 'tales' and hockey talk though...

I have always wanted to fish LOTW and will be doing so in a matter of days now on my trip.
Bill good luck on your adventure, all the best. I might end up stopping for a day or two at LOTW...JUST because EVERYONE pops a woody whenever it's mentioned haha... it's gotta be worth the stop!

http://www.seineriverlodge.com/

Located between Atikokan and Fort Frances off Hwy 11. I was there for a week and enjoyed the place. Unfortunately I was working in the area so I never had time to fish. They have tent camping, cabins, and boat rentals. Access to 5 lakes without getting out of your boat, boat caches in, I think 5 other lakes.

Walleye, Small Mouth, Lake trout, Pike

I hope this helps

Wes

Wes this place looks great. Right price, nice boats, lots to explore, narrow waters...only small downside is no muskie. This place is in our top choices so far. We were hoping to conclude the trip through NWO, nearer to Manitoba, with a weeks stay in a cabin, and do all the camping first, but this place might change that plan.

Hey goodtimer,

I live n Dryden, but i'm fairly new here...1 1/2 years.....i actually dont know what the lodges etc are like cuz i have no need for them, i think all the lakes are good round here, the ones that are limited access are good.....i feel as though i should be able to help more...lol...considering i'm right here....but hey feel free to pm me if ya need anything.

PS....I was meant to be in a Bass tournament with the local tackle shop owner and his son...unfortunately i had other things going on....but when i spoke to Kevin about it later(they came 3rd) he said that the amount of bass in this lake was ridiculous.....his buddy took a little click counter wth him on one day and after reaching the 200 count gave up clicking!!!! Kevins a pretty decent guy and i fish often with his son so dont think he would Bull me. Anyway that Lake is called Little Vermillion and apart from Bass is renowned for Musky and Lake Trout too, i'm not sure about walleye but its all part of the Lac Seul chain and the walleye fishing here is fantastic...i catch 25" walleye for fun on the lake at work in Sioux Lookout, in spring anyway, but we have fished lac seul recently and there is some good fishing....

You must mean the another Little Vermillion, not the one TennesseeGuy mentioned. The one he talked about is above Red Lake and has no muskie or bass. Are you talking about 'Vermillion Lake', beside Minnitaki Lake near Sioux Lookout? Either way 200+ bass sounds like fun!!

Hello,

I just came back from fishing a Professional Walleye Trail tournament on Wabigoon Lake in Dryden. During 6 days of practice I caught well over a 1000 walleye and many nice pike. Every point, island and mid lake hump you stop at holds fish.

-sheldon

wow...i can't wait!!!

I live on Lake Wabigoon...'TIS TRUE WHAT SHELDON SAYS!!!! but there are some better little lakes around which i'm slowly starting to explore...Tallman Lake, Grassy Bay(Lac Seul), Anaway Lake, Basket Lake, Route Lake all are better for walleye IMHO...and like i said i fish the Goon (wabigoon) almost daily!

There are bass on Wabigoon chain...but they can be difficult to get into.....but if you do try Wabigoon for Bass go into Butler Lake and Mile and Trap Lakes......they are connected to the main lakes. There are also lots of Musky on Wabigoon apparently.....i have caught a few tiger musky...small...but the local camps cater for musky fishermen...try Indian Point Camp (visible from my house) or perhaps Bonny Bay camp.

If you have specific questions i could more than likely tap into my friends' local knowledge for ya...might take a day or 2 to track them down though...they will probably be out fishing....lol.

Thanks for the info, might throw you a question or two. Indian Point looks like a decent camp, not sure if they have any boat caches on other lakes though.

I may be a little biased as I live in nw ont right on the us border smack between lotw and rainy

a few areas i have personally fished that i could suggest are

the pipestone burditt(locals call it clearwater) chain lots of camps to stay at many with outposts on connecting lakes

nestor falls area which would put you on lotw or kakagi (crow) lake as well as numerous small lakes

or my personal favorite for smallies and pike would be the mine centre atikokan area

if you like i could send you some names of camps that i know the owners of as alot of them deal with us here at the home hardware store i work at

I've been looking at a few camps in the Pipestone Lake area...looks very nice. And yeah that would be great if you could send some names over, might throw u a PM to ask a few Q's.

Halleys Camps on the English River System near Kenora......will blow any of those other places away.....it is truely unbelievable....
Thanks but that place is a "bit" pricey...actually it's about 5x my budget for a week's stay. Even if it does blow the other places away it can't be worth it with my wallet.

• 1 year later...
Take a look around this map... you might find something you like. (It's just of Northern Ontario).

It shows you the lodges, backtrail, routes, etc. Coolest thing; it shows you what kind of fish species are in a lake. I thought that was neat. :)

NOmap.ca

AWESOME search tool....Decent detail and nice viewing options...

Thanx one n....

Will