gas fumes

forrest

I have a 6.5 gallon tank for my tiller. I noticed a build up of gas fumes in my garage so I started storing it outside.

Later I noticed that when I filled it right up to the top some gas would leak out fromt he cap area. I keep the vent screw closed.

Is this normal?

What is the best way to remedy this?

forrest

Edited by forrest

I think your problem is you are putting to much gas in the tank.As the gas warms up it will expand and force out any excess,remember the gas is stored in undergroud tank and is much cooler down there. My tanks hold 25 liters but I never put in more than 22 in so there is room for expansion.leave the vent open some so the air inside has somewhere to go. The fireman that used to live on the street and my insurance agent both told never to store gas in an attached garage because of the risks involved.

vance

I think your problem is you are putting to much gas in the tank.As the gas warms up it will expand and force out any excess,remember the gas is stored in undergroud tank and is much cooler down there. My tanks hold 25 liters but I never put in more than 22 in so there is room for expansion.leave the vent open some so the air inside has somewhere to go. The fireman that used to live on the street and my insurance agent both told never to store gas in an attached garage because of the risks involved.

vance

Never leaving the container in the garage....its a good safety tip but it is not becuase gas tanks vent on a regular basis.

-Overfilling it is not the issue.

-Leaving the vent screw open is a no go. Neither I or my neighbors like the smell of gas.

-My Jerry can just seems to expand and sit

-My car does not vent gas into the garage or outside.

forrest

If liquid is leaking out from the cap area then you simply have a defective tank or cap/gasket. If this is an engine that is used only on occasion then fuel should not sit in the tank or carb bowl for very long anyways as the fuel continues to degrade plus water will build up.

It is 1-2 years old. red plastic.

Not really my first choice in external tanks, but I know their less expensive than a steel one.

All gas cans are supposed to vent, it is dangerous to not let them vent. Most (even your car) are vented thru the gas cap.The internal tank on my boat has a seperate vent because I installed a watertight cap.

As far as the spillage goes, have you checked the neoprene or cork gasket in your cap to see if it is worn or missing?

It's illegal to have a venting tank or cap on most ( newer) cars Greencoachdog many states and provinces test for this and the vehicle will not pass an emissions test.

I beg to differ, the gas cap on your vehicle is vented. The next time you put gas in look at the underside and you will see. If your gas tank was not vented, it would create a vacuum as fuel was drawn from the tank into the engine... creating a suction that would make it very difficult to remove the cap, and if you ever did get the cap off, air would rush into the tank! Not good!!!

Modern truck and car gas caps are vented with a damper, it lets air in but not out.

Edited by Greencoachdog