Howdy Fisherpeople

dave kaeon

hi people. i almost never use caps so i hope nobody goes crosseyed from reading one of my posts... well, it's good to be back in the flow of things. taking a well-earned break from the crazylife is good. it's crazy that i totally stopped fishing about two years ago... right about the same time i met a good bunch of fellow fisherpeople (admittedly mostly steelheaders :blush: ) haha... just kidding about that. ah, but life got in the way and i lost touch with a lot of good people. there's a few people on this forum i recognize, but i just wonder who else is lurking around.

mostly fished smallmouth and walleye with my pa... i was addicted to working my eagle sonar and whining to get on the 9.9 so i could work it like al or babe. y'know, back in the day when limiting out was totally acceptable and 'catch n' release' was just the latest tacky catchphrase on all the shows. open water everywhere and nowhere near the numbers of people fishing today. anyways, somewhere along the line at about 7 or 8 i caught my first chromey shaker while drifting the trent for 'eyes.

from there, it was boxing up all my walleye insider mags and scouring through all the fishing facts, outdoor life, and ontario fisherman mags for anything to do with steelies and other migratories... and oh, can't forget matt straw's first few pieces for in-fisherman. just killer work. i think the best articles for bows in print mags came from the 1985-1990... just juicy stuff, no nonsense and gritty stuff.

back then bottom-bouncing was still basically king and the talent to roll a couple bb's and feel the distinct tap-tap (familiarity with jigging helped alot) really helped. oh, and btw, i have no real idea what i'm rambling about but i'm bored and i'm just gonna eventually get around to posting a few fish pics and some such... anyways, i'm gonna go out one day soon and bb one of those nifty dropper rigs again just for kicks. i miss the old school feel of the spinning reel on the flyrod.

but these days everywhere you turn it's those dang centrepins. the great equalizer... totally puts the majority of people on a level playing field. even though a lot of rigging and shot pattern nuances can get very complex, i'd say most anybody who can tie a clinch knot on the river when fish are in... yeah, they're gonna hit something sooner than later.

bought my first pin in '88 and i'm still learning something new everyday... or at least it feels that way. with that, i gotta say what a freaky 'winter' we got down here in southcentral ontario. it's just WRONG... but hey, i missed the fall season so this is kinda novel. i just thank the man for any time i can drift a sweet seam.

anywaaaays...

check these poor guys out... very recent shots of mister frog and mister snake sleepwalkin.

onetickedoffdude.jpg

sleepysnake.jpg

1st memorable slab of 2007

jan12techwat01.jpg

a smoked-snack-sized-steelie

upsidedownmcchromicoin.jpg

a little porky male already good to go ;)

dec30200608-crop.jpg

the water's always gettin more and more crowded

unclesamwantssteel.jpg

and finally a closeup of miss lady steel.. so fine...

purdylady.jpg

so that's my bit for now. i don't take as many photos as i should anymore but there's plenty of time for that. hi cc, fishfinder, n' barracuda (you shoulda beeeeen there! :rolleyes: )

i'm tired now.

ps. i don't have the yardspace or smoker anymore but does anyone know of a shop (tackle or otherwise) that will smoke your fish for you?.. i haven't kept anything yet, but when i do decide to take my one clipper hen for 2007's roe, i'd like to get her smoked. i don't have much of an appetite for fish otherwise. selective harvest yeah?

cheers.

yeah.. i'm surprised i can still type after abusing my hands like that flyfishing today... note to self; subzero temps is bad for handling a big fat wet flyline all day. and i didn't even get to try out that sage 10' today. :angry:

fishing 'buddies'... they show up 5 hours late and (grumble, grumble) ... ahh... well, it was a nice afternoon once i lost sensation in my hands.

only one solid hookup on a shaker couple lbs rolling an egg pattern under an indi... may as well have been floatin' since i was doing that but i really wanted to see if the takers were still in the riff pockets and up for some big streamers... a no go there.

wicked intro!!

And Thank You for not using the caps lock! Makes it alot easier to read, and CAPS is considered shouting...

wicked pics... especially you storming the beach with Helicopters chasing you down! LOL

Welcome to OFC

Gerritt.

Welcome aboard, nice intro and great photos. You have found the place that supports multi species fishers.

Looking forward to your reports and pics.

Whereabouts you located. I have a spare Lhur Jensen electric smoker you could borrow. PM me and we can work something out.

John

thank you all! very kind, very kind.

yes it is very refreshing to see a whole good bunch of different types of fishers and species pursued here. i'm glad that it's all about the fish here... a good vibe.

unfortunately or fortunately as long as there are trout in the rivers, that's what i'll be chasing. but once bass opens, i just totally dig chasing bronzebacks in rivers on the fly... an older photo but you get the idea!

sowsmalliecradle.jpg

hey JFR, thanks for the offer but i live in a condo now and i lack the yardspace. i'm thinking of moving again soon and hopefully, completely out of the GTA. ugh... a nice bungalow around gbay or the peninsula would be nice!

cheers all.

Welcome to the site.

Nice pics Dave....I also love to flyfish for bronzebacks and or anything else that will take my flies....Check out the link..Great way to keep a smoker just outside your back step,even in a condo...Looks like a garbage can...wait a minute,it is a garbage can....No one will touch it :lol:

http://cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

again thanks :)

muskiestudd, that's awesome! hehe... but my unit doesn't have a balcony. hmm... i'm one floor down from the rooftop... i wonder if they'll let me keep a smoker on the rooftop... hehe

it's just nice to be out on the water and have a good fresh supply of smoked meats! :thumbsup_anim:

thinking of taking up small game hunting sometime this year too. has anyone tried smoked rabbit? just curious.

Welcome to OFC.

As for smoked rarebitt! Yes when i was small my grandaddy used to hunt alot and sometimes smoked his rarebitt.......I never been keen on it just because i think we used to each so much of it every sunday it allways seemed to be rarebitt for dinner.....so has put me off now......lol

hey mjl, ya 2 or 3 years ago i lived right 5 minutes from the humber. i mainly fished it from springmelt til the dropbacks were all gone... usually a couple hours each morning to get me through the day. i never really fished the bridge hole or above the multinumbered dams... basically only the courts' runs and below bloor in the frogwater undercut bank. i'm sure we've shared a drift or two.

i had browning gray neos but they were just too much fun to put on and wear so i had to get rid of them! ;)

why, whudda ya know? i just happen to have a pic from above the dirty subwayline! and just so nobody starts climbing my back about how shallow the water is and my flyfishin it... the slot where i caught that hen and 3 others was approx. 15 ft wide and averaged 4-6 ft deep... pretty sweet run for downtown toronto fishing i have to say. the shallows i'm standing on actually is normally a small 'island'. just so you guys know. :)

ugliestflowprettiestbow.jpg

nautifish, i heard that some types of hare and rabbit actually require more nutrients from the one eating it to digest, than what one may actually gain nutritionally from it. weird, but i heard and read about it from some 'survivalist' folks... still might make a neat snack on he water though!

:)

hi danc and c.c.!

danc, brooky right? yes sir i appreciate that. your photography never ceases to inspire. glad to read your posts again.

glad to be here, and yes scotty, it's me back from the dead! i see you've been hammering chrome bars as always! :) was wondering if dave retie and johnny hink were drifting around here? hehe...it's been a long time.

Welcome to our OFC family Dave.

Dave Kaeon ? (Dave Keon)

Nice handle dude.

I used to fish that stretch of river when I was in my teens.

I remember riding the subway before I started driving, with my rod, waders, other gear and

a couple of garbage bags doubled up with a ripe chinny hen inside.

You can imagine the looks I got from people on the subway. :glare::o:mellow::blink:

Smelled so strong in a heated subway car. :w00t:

Dave,

Glad ya liked that smoker idea...Heres another thought...Sometimes when I'm feeling a little lazy and don't want to go outside to smoke my meat I just simply do up a batch,add liquid smoke and run it throught the dehydrator....I make venison,moose, salmon and rainbow jerky and every other fish speicies you want to put in and it turns out delicious...Great food for when your walkin down the river..Just load up a pocket full in a zip lock and you never half to stop for lunch anywhere just keep fishin...

So you don't have to limit yourself to a smoker and the dehydrator is only about 40 bucks last time I checked.

http://www.popeilfamilystore.com/dehydrato...CFQOYWAod4UMtJg