We Freed A Trapped Raccoon

lew

Early this morning before day break, me & the pooch were walknig thru the woods on our daily hike, when Marvin started whining at the base of a nearby tree. I walked over to see what was happening and saw what appeared to be a dead raccoon jammed up inside a hollow spot in the trunk right at groundlevel and between some roots.

As I was walking away I heard it make a growning sound so I went back, and sure enough it was alive but jammed solidly in the hole. He was sorta standing and facing me, but twisted around and hopelessly stuck and the poor thing looked terrified. I was able to reach him, so I put on my gloves and tried to twist him free but there was no way that was gonna happen without alot of the root and trunk being cut away, so I went home and got a hatchet, hammer and some big wood chisels, and then my daughter and I headed back down.

It took me an hour to cut enough of the trunk and roots away without injuring him, but finally there was enough room to get him out. We layed him on an old towel I had and he was breathing fine but was so exhausted he could hardly move. Alot of the hair had been worn away from the top of his head and on both front feet and legs from him trying to free himself, but he didn't appear to be injured and continually tried to bite me.......ungrateful little bugger :D:D

From the looks of him I'd guess he was stuck for at least a couple days and was just too stiff to even move, but my guess is he'll make it.

We were just kinda standing there trying to figure what to do next, when along comes a man who stopped to see what was happening. Just by a stoke of good luck, it turns out he volunteers for an animal sanctuary / animal rescue group. He used his cell and called their local vet, who also volunteers his services free of charge for injured animals and he was coming over to get him. He said the raccoon was probably dehydrated and was even bringing an IV set-up to use on him while he took him back to his clinic which was about 30 minutes away.

He has a seperate section dedicated to rehabilitating wild critters and specializes in raccoons

I had an appointment this morning and couldn't wait any longer, so we wrapped the animal up in another blanket and put it on the front seat of the other guys car with the heater going and he was gonna wait for the vet to show up and get him.

He'll call me later to day and let me know how they made out.

I know alot of folks think of raccoons are a nuisance, and yes they are, but I'm a HUGE animal lover and there's no way I could leave that poor critter trapped like that. I told my daughter that I'd take the whole tree down if neccessary and worry about the consequenses later.

Anyways, that's how I spent my morning and just thought a few more of you animal lovers may find it interesting.

Well that was certainly an exciting moring Lew. I have racoons in my attic, and yes they are a nuisance, but they were probably here first and "WE" invaded their spot, so they probably think we're a nuisance :lol:

I've had a few experiences helping them out too and they sure are cute.

Good for you, you probably saved his life.

Joey

Well done Lew. Your going to sleep well tonight knowing you ended his suffering saved his life....Shure he may only be a racoon but he is still one gods creatures and deserved to have another chance at life.I'm just glad you found him.....

Sad news folks, we just got a call from the vet and the little guy died an hour ago.

The vet had him at his office and said he seemed to be doing much better, but then suddenly went downhill and that was it.

I'll never stand by and watch an animal suffer and at least I know I did all I could for him and his last few hours weren't spent suffering while he was jammed inside that tree trunk.

Damn.....