68f On A Pier In Myrtle Beach

Big Cliff

Sun shining, light breaze, warm...... I had talked to a couple of locals and it seems that the fishing is picking up. They suggested that I go to Bass Pro Shop and buy a rod ($20.00) as apposed to renting one for a day ($18.00)+$35.00 deposit so buy a rod I did. I couldn't believe it, a Shakespere heavy duty rod, reel, line, everything I needed, $20.00. Sorry Sue, now it's 15 rods and reeles LOL.

Everyone here is so warm and frendly, the people that run the pier let Sue come out fot free to see what it was like, and everyone out there treated you like you were long lost family.

So, I start to get set up, got to cut the tiewraps off my new rod, woops, filleted my finger, not a cut, a nice clean fillet right off the top about a 1/4" of flesh gone nearly to the bone (I think a sea gull got it). So, wrap it in paper towles and head back to the office at the pier. Fortunatly, the guy use to be a medic or something, blood all over the place but he managed to do a heck of a job with some tape and gauze and I headed back out on the pier.

Sue bless her heart, keeps wanting to take me to the hospital, (no point in going, nothing left to stitch and only a little blood had soaked through the bandages) no way I was going anywhere until I had caught some fish, so fish I did!

I finally convinced Sue to go do some sight seeing or shopping or something (she chose shopping, wouldn't you know it!) and she left me there to enjoy the sun, warmth, and a bunck of new friends.

Well, they tell me the fishing is slow this time of the year but I had a blast, I caught a shark (8-10 lbs) but you can't keep them; I caught a small sting ray (about 5 lbs) but let it go; and I caught several (crokers) and sugar perch (crokers are boney and you don't keep the small ones).

In short, I had a fantastic day, meet a pile of wonderful people, made a ton of new friends (all of which would fit right in as OFNR's, (TJ, you need to make up some cards "you have just been invited to join the OFC family".............. I'll bet I could have added 10 new members today alone.

Anyway, thinking of you all, wish many of you were here to share it with me.

Be safe, play nice!

Big Cliff

Great to hear you're enjoying the sun, sand and surf Cliff.

We don't have any ice fishing reports for you, because there isn't any ice.

A blast of cold air is on the way next week. Fingers are crossed.

Sorry to hear you lost some flesh,

but it sounds as if you didn't care much

as long as the fish co-operated.

Just don't make a habit of chopping of bits of meat

from your body or we'll have to start calling you

"Not so Big Cliff." ;):D

Sorry I don't have any pics to show you right now, I'm working on a borrowed lap top with limited software and a VERY slow dial up connection. I'll have to wait untile I get back to post pictures.

Got an old fishing buddy coming down next week, he and I are going to see about doing a charter trip, I'm really looking forward to that one. Haven't decided what we are going to go for yet, seems we have lots of choices. As long as it's fishing I'm happy!

Talked to the friends that are taking care of our house last night, they tell me that Sturgeon Lake still has open water, Looks like we might not have much of a problem with winter kill this year and I bet the lack of ice is going to keep the pressure off Scugog and other lakes in the area.

Good to hear your trip is going well Cliff.

Got some colder weather and snow moving in tonight and then sposed to be below freezing for a couple weeks, so the lakes should start freezing solid anytime now.

Take care of that finger and enjoy the rest of your vacation.