Cell Phones And Boating

krawler

Looking for a cell phone that has great reception. id like to use it on a daily basis but be able to count on it in case im stuck in the middle of a lake. i fish gbay a lot and often go for long runs into the middle of the bay after summer kings and bows. the storms can pick up really fast plus my boat is getting old so just in case my radio fails id like to be able to contact someone if need be. Im with Rogers and would like to stick with Rogers so a phone associated with rogers would be great. so anyone out there that swears by there phone reception, id like to hear what model you have.

thanks

I'm with Telus but I'm usually in the GTA area and as far North I go is Orillia and East is out to Peterborough. My reception is great never had any problems except for the corridors where there is no service.

But this might be a use to you. It's the coverage map of service providers and shows how strong of a connection they have in certain coverage areas.

Cell Phone Coverage Areas From Service Providers.

Hope this helps. I don't see telus in this coverage though.

dsn

I'll tell you what NOT to do krawler <_<

Don't go fishing and tuck your cell phone up under the console of your boat to keep it dry when the rain starts, and not check to be sure it's secured up there, and then find it laying on the floor of the boat at the end of the day with water dripping out of it :(

Yup, I did it, just ask Mr Eh, and it was a very expensive mistake :blush:

krawler: What you need is ancient technology...called a "Bag Phone". Don't know how old you are, but the one I have looks like a flat purse, very "not cool", but, has a full 3 watt output. The little dinky phones that have every option except the capability of getting through don't cut my mustard. I camp on the north side of the Meaford Tank Range on GB, it's the only thing that will make the call, the other gadgets can't get a signal or not strong enough to get out. I'm on a pay as you go plan, I can leave it inactive for up to a year without having to re-activate it, I use it May to September.

Exactly what I was gonna say fisherman. My 5 watt 1985 Motorola finally packed it in, so had to go to a hand held this summer and that was a fight as well to stay analog with Rogers. They will only sell their new digital phones, so I had to find an old analog phone that had been on their system before. Next problem will be that I hear they will be dropping their analog capabilities all together in the near future. Kinda like Televisions apparently in 2009 will no longer work with the old dial turn tuner!

That said....I never had any issues raising Wiarton Coast Guard in the past on a VHF, the many times our old Fiberform and it's OMC drive left us stranded all over G bay.

Edited by irishfield

Hey Calmpet

I believe that info you copied was probably from a Rogers Lover. I am pretty sure that they are all comprable and I use a Telus And get signals as far north to date as Temagami back lakes. Now mind you I have to either find a high spot on land or use it in the middle of the lak but it still works. Another thing to keep in mind is to try to find a phone that is digital and analog, but allows u to force analog rather than having the phone choose

Oh yeah P.S. they are all using GSM here

Edited by ShaunB

Nothing beats a quality VHF radio when on big water. Consider visiting a shop like West Marine (many throughout the province) and pick up a VHF radio and mount it and an 8ft antena on your boat. Forget about cell service in the middle of the lake, iffy at best.

If you need assistance the Coast Guard can and will summon other boats in the area to assist. You can remain in constant touch with them until assistance arrives.

Be smart, be safe when on the water.

John

I'm with FIDO and have been ever since I got my first phone 7 years ago.

Now they are owned by Rogers and share tecnology, but are still run as a separate company

so far.

No problem getting reception on Bay of Quinte.

Not sure how it is on Georgian Bay.

I have both Rogers and Telus .. both worth great out on GBAY - at least around Waubaushene through to midland and up to Parry Sound

Have been some recent upgrades to Rogers/Fido ... I now get fll coverage al across the muskokas too ... used to only get bell analog service ... now its all god ... and I have been through about 5 phones in the past few years (dont ask) anyhow it seems to be MUCH easier to get signal and get out ...

the only challenge I have is up the Kawarthas .. seem to be a little touch and go in some areas... and theres a stretch on the 407 where I swear the CFB is blocking signal .. NEVER get it reliably from near the 400 to Bayview on hwy 407

But I actually keep both because ften when one wont get signal the other does

btw I now have a razr (Fido) and an old blackberry 700 series (telus)

my wife caries her fido (motorola v300) and we rarely have anywhere from Toronto up to Muskoka where we dont get full signal.

By the way alittle trick I learnt a while back ( I use it for my camera as well) ... zip-lock freezer bags .... they do wonders at keeping moisture out - and I zip it up with a little air in it acts like a little pillow to absorb some of the banging around (in the cooler - where I toss em when not in use)