Grand River & Speed River

rooster

Hey man you just have to put your time in. I have gotten pike and bass out of there numerous times. For the pike try bridges, they are usually hanging around and the bass can be found anywhere. Last summer I actaully did quite well for bass just above and below the Speed River 401 bridge.

Hey man you just have to put your time in. I have gotten pike and bass out of there numerous times. For the pike try bridges, they are usually hanging around and the bass can be found anywhere. Last summer I actaully did quite well for bass just above and below the Speed River 401 bridge.

i have finshed above and below that bridge lots and have gotten alot of nice sized smallies out of there, but no pike as of yet

Thanks for all the awesome replies guys! To tell you the truth, my brother-in-law went to Riverside once and got a small bass, but that's about it.

I for the most part caught 876.jpg, tires.gif (thinking of going into the tire business), Plastic%20Safety%20Fencing1010.JPG (probably left there by troutologist) (I also considered the plastic business, but it's not as profitable). :Gonefishing:

As for me, I'll keep trying, I'm bound to find a car or corpse some time ... that should be a bit out of the ordinary. :glare:

Glad to know that there's something out there other than crude-oil originating artifacts. :worthy:

You're absolutely right...there is no fish in either of those two rivers...pack up and leave while the gettins still good for an awesome round of golf or a couple sets of tennis.....ever try bowling much more satisfying then fishing the Grand for these.....

100_0962.jpg

I know I would rather be doin just about anything even in the winter than fishing the Speed.......

7807a1b0.jpg

Well good luck with your new adventures in bowling and/or lawn mowing or whatever you decide to do with your time instead. B)

Nah, joking aside, I think I've just been going to the wrong places. This seemed like a great place Speed River [1] as did this Speed River [2], because there's a lot of cover, but it's really poluted. I kid you not, I did find some plastic fencing.

I think there are fish in the Grand / Speed, I just need to find the right places. Thanks for the suggestions that you guys provided. I'll definitely try those! I'm pretty sure that there'll be some under the 401 overpass. Surprisingly, there are also a lot of small little lakes around the Cambridge area. I wonder how access to those will be. :angel:

No doubt...put in your time, and stray the beaten path.

They have a bass derby every year on the grand...wouldn't be doing that if their were no fish right?

The Grands a funny river down this way..,heavy spring currents and the silty bottom make for a new river every year.

Seems the banks, weedbeds, depths, holes, Trees ect...can be completely different year to year.

So don't discount your spots...just cause there were no fish this time.

Go back and find the holding waters next season.

When its hot them bass will be under anything that casts shade, or right in a torrent. If its muddy(by muddy I mean muddier then usual)you have to drop on their heads...get in there right in the wood with some heavy line.

Good luck, and keep at it.

Thanks guys! Will definitely!!! :thumbsup_anim:

I'm by all means not a pro at it (only been a few times), but so far, I love it!

One of my friends got me into it. Can't thank him enough! :worthy:

I come from a non-fishing family. Seems I'm the only one that's taken up the sport in a few hundred years (go figure). Bet none of you can understand it either.

Now, I think I've got my wife hooked on it. She wants to try it and see what all the commotion is about.

I'm even considering getting my 1 year old a fishing rod (eventually). M60356c.jpg:santa:

LoL :lol:

You mean this one? M60353c.jpg

Maybe ... maybe. One thing's for sure, bet you she'd look like :w00t:

So I thought about going to a lake or two around Cambridge this week. Then, I looked around and though fooorget that! You seen the snow outside?

So then I started researching about what else, but :Gonefishing:

Any of you know how fish can survive such cold water? I think this might explain the subject for this post.

1. They MIGRATE! :o (now why didn't I think of this?)

2. They stay active. :D (might help me to catch something)

3. They go all the way down to the bottom of the lake and hide under rocks and even bury themselves in mud. They become "dormant". (then again, it doesn't help if they're active but that deep; or asleep?!?) :huh:

Guess I'll have to wait until the Spring. :glare:

Edited by rooster