Need Advice Purchasing Atv

Basskicker

I am looking to purchase a A.T.V from Detroit, Michigan, U.S in a private deal. Does anyone know what I need to do to ensure that everything is legit? Regarding paperwork, customs...how to find out if there is a lean on the ATV? What do I need to do to get it registered and licensed?

I hope someone call help...I would like to buy this ATV this weekend but I haven't got a clue as to want I need to do to cover my but!!

Thanks

Jason

Hey Basskicker.

I looked into this a few weeks ago. Cause I thought we were getting hosed in the costs. (WE ARE)

There are a few forms to complete, a standard processing fee, +GST PST.

You need to complete the forms in advance and send them in, you need to give the border 48 hours notice when your coming.

Then you do the customes things, you then have 30 days to get it "cert" as canada allowed at a few locations.

You are good as gold. I believe you have to do this unless its over 10-20 years old...

Look under buying a car from the US a and there are reference to ATV in the same document.

Thanks

This is going to be a private sale.....is it possible to make a bill of sales from the seller for $1000....and pay cash for the rest? I mean the seller does care either way...he gets his money, and I would have to pay ALOT less GST,PST etc. at customs?

Let's just say for argument's sake.....that I have a relative in the U.S. and he gave me his ATV as a gift (because he's a nice guy)....would you still have to pay the GST and PST....how could you if it was FREE?

Just trying to figure out the cheapest way to get this ATV across the border....if I have to pay full price at customs.....this deal doesn't quite look like a deal anymore......they really do hose you at the border.

see this is where having my job with revenue canada stinks

now I have to trace his IP

then his name and address, and see if charges are warranted

cross border fraud...3 to 5.....$10,000.00 fine to boot...damn

....just kidding, ...

but I don't know if I would talk about ripping off the tax man, openly on the WWW

LOL, Don't worry Basskicker.. Goverment has you covered.

Even if you pay $20.00 for the machine there is a book value and you get charged the full amount of the book value.

Just really depends if how far off you are from the true cost if they look or not.

With the border dudes go ligit or pay for it later :) those hand prints on the floor are not decorations.