Valens?island Lake? Ice Fishing?

urbanangler1990

Decent pike in Valens but don't expect ice there anytime soon. I live nearby and the ponds around here are not frozen. There is an ice fishing derby there on February 18th but I'm not sure if the ice will be safe by then. I'm hoping for a cold snap soon.

http://www.conservationhamilton.ca/corpora...ws/3215_452.asp

Corn Nug

Edited by Corn Nug

Just heard from a buddy in Waterloo that there is ice at Valens but less than one inch, can't walk on it yet, cracks and a boot got wet.... Not sure about Island lake, but give it at least a week, there is warm temps and rain for the next two days, so we need at least a solid week of -5 to -10 consistently for walk on ice at those two locations... Pike is good at Valens early in the season and great at Island lake for a couple of weeks after first ice... then it's crap shoot. Good crappie sometimes at Island lake and tons of blue gill at Valens all the time. Great fishing at Puslinch lake in Cambridge too when it's frozen. Follow the boys out the deep hole next to the big island and there are lots of pike, crappie and the occaisional walleye, although very rare... Hope this helps, Be safe out there!!!

CJ

Sorry for the ad on...BTW, the size of the pike varies alot, average in those places ranges from snot rockets to 5 pounds....there are a few 5-10 pounders, usually one or two every few trips on big minnows. Bigger pike at Island lake, more pike at Puslinch, least pike numbers at Valens, in my opinion anyway!!!

Cheers,

CJ

Fished Valens a couple times. Nice place,although I didn't catch much. Heard the ice fishing for panfish is good though. I might go to the derby if there's ice. I only live about 30 miles away.

P.S. Where is Island Lake? Found one in Alberta,B.C. and Boca Raton Florida (can you say Tarpon). I'm sure you don't mean any of those.Where is the one you're referring to?

Just found my own answer (I kept digging). For any others who don't know here's a quote from there site: Island Lake Conservation Area (ILCA), formerly known as Orangeville Reservoir, is located on the east side of Highwy 10 north of Highway 9 near the Town of Orangeville . Credit Valley Conservation (CVC) has been operating the reservoir to augment flow for the Orangeville Sewage Treatment Plant, but with the secondary benefit of providing a recreational resource. Home to largemouth bass, northern pike, black crappie, rock bass (all introduced to the reservoir), bullhead, sunfish and yellow perch, it has become a popular fishing destination in both the summer and winter months. For many years, largemouth bass have been promoted as a catch and release fishery, with a secondary management goal of maintaining northern pike at low numbers. More recently, voluntary harvest limits for panfish (e.g. yellow perch and black crappie) have been introduced. :blush: