Top Water Lures

xrap

I have been using topwater lures for pike without any leader. So far I have landed all the fish and haven't got any breaks off's. Until the big one hit and took my favourite lure. Then I tried putting the leader on but the top water bait did not perform the same. It sank half way under water and moved like a log. Now I got power pro so I don't have to worry about leaders and the lure not working the right way. I got another rod with mono on it and I was wondering what would be the best way to to fish for top water pike? I'm taking a trip up north in the summer time and I just want to be prepared for the big boys. ANy tips? Thanks

P.s sorry if this is a stupid question :blush:

hey xrap.have you ever heard of a lure called the CHUG BUG... its made by storm lures ,get a big 6 inch chug bug and fish with that for top water pike...jerk hard then pause......and repeat they cant resist it,its the best top water bait for pike....hope i helped

i dont know if i did the link right but just to www.stormlures.com and look forit on their site most tackle shops will have one

ya....cheershttp://stormlures.com/images/thumbnails/hard_lures/freshwater/rattlin_chug_bug_342.jpg

Edited by fishindevil

pike teeth will cut through 30lb braid like a hot knife through butter. When that happens you've lost a lure and possibly killed a real nice fish. I tie 50 lb fluoro leaders for pike and have not been bit off (yet) BUT I have had to discard some leaders because they are nicked. Once they have a weak spot those leaders break real easy so you have to keep an eye on them

Thanks fishindevil, I'll have to check it out. I'm really success with a the berkley frenzy frog and the pj pop. I heard the pj pop is a bass lure but it has been producing pike for me. I have 4-5 of them but only the red and black one is working well. I'll have to stalk up on some top waters. I got some for christmas that i'm just dying to try out. Thanks for te tips everyone B)

If i was in your position ... which I often am I would go ahead and buy some good quality fluoro leaders... either lighter musky ones or homemade ones... of course match line weight to fish size in lakes... I seldom have problems with pike breakoffs, its usually the lure that gets the beating and less often the leader... hope this helps some

Regards

yea i might be tuffer then mono, but i have lost i few pike bass fishin with 30 lbs braid, fishin the slop. cut clean off, like said up above get some 50 lbs florocarbon, very tuff stuff. i use it muskie fisin (100 lbs test) and 50 lbs through 90 lbs for pike and havent been bit off yet.

what kind of knot did you use with the power pro ???

I use the uni knot for everything, never had any break offs really except for a couple times I didn't re-tie after landing a big fish :blush: But talking about mono now. Never had the power pro break off on me. Even when I fish for salmon in bronte for the first time. I used power pro and landed two male nooks. But I use 6lb gama now for salmon, very strong line.

Some top water lures aren`t affected as badly by the weight of a steel leader, never tried a floro one so I don`t know how well they will work, lots of people on the board have real good success with them though.

The lures that you normally have a pause in the retrieve have given me the most problems, they hit a lot on the pause, lure is stopped and they get a chance to take it deeper. Continued motion lures like a buzzbait are less of a problem.

There was a product called twist weld wire, a plastic coated wire leader material that was easy to make leaders out of, any length just twist it and heat with a lighter and it fused the coating together, a number of different pound tests so you could match the leader weight to the lure weight pretty easily. The snaps and bearing weight can also throw off the lure action, some seem like they are awful heavy for the pound test of the wire leader they are made with.