Solo Expedition Pic's

solopaddler

Hey guys, I thought I'd share a few pic's from one of my solo canoe trips. They're scanned and the quality isn't great, but you'll get the idea.

My trip started in the train. Here's a shot of my gear (2 packs and canoe) in the boxcar enroute to Allanwater Bridge.

100_0291.jpg

The next 2 shots are of a forest fire that was raging all around me as I descended the Allanwater River. At one point I came to an impassable rapids which I couldn't run or line and my only option was to quickly portage my gear along the burning portage which was about 800m. I wrapped t-shirts around my face neck and hands, doused my entire body in the river to soak it down, grabbed my first pack and canoe, and RAN! LOL! By the time I made it to the end of the portage, all my clothes were dry, the soles of my boots were starting to melt, and the gelcoat on my boat was beginning to blister! Worst part was I had to run back and get the rest of my gear and do it again.

100_0292.jpg

100_0325.jpg

Next shot is my campsite on Kenoji Lake downstream from the blaze.

100_0294.jpg

The next 3 shots are of the Pallisade River which I ascended. If you look closely in the last pic you can see a native pictograph on the rock just below the rust coloured lichen.

100_0297.jpg

100_0296.jpg

100_0295.jpg

Lunch!

100_0300.jpg

The next couple shots are first, an awesome spot for Brook Trout on the Misehkow River (a large trib of the Albany), and the resulting catch, which were very tasty!

100_0299.jpg

100_0298.jpg

The next 3 are shots of rapids I ran in my canoe on the Albany River.

100_0301.jpg

100_0302.jpg

100_0303.jpg

Some nice spec's from the Albany (also very tasty!)

100_0304.jpg

The next 3 shots are Eskakwa falls on the Albany and another nice spec caught in the frothing whitewater below.

100_0309.jpg

100_0306.jpg

100_0307.jpg

Beach campsite on the Albany.

100_0310.jpg

100_0312.jpg

Lunch again!

100_0311.jpg

More rapids I ran.

100_0315.jpg

An assortment of campsite shots on the Albany and Ogoki Rivers.

100_0316.jpg

100_0317.jpg

100_0318.jpg

100_0319.jpg

Whiteclay Lake

100_0321.jpg

Last 2 are Smoothrock Lake near the end of my trip.

100_0322.jpg

100_0324.jpg

As mentioned the quality of the shots isn't very good, sorry 'bout that. Hope you enjoyed them anyhow, cheers, Mike :Gonefishing:

Wow!!! Awesome report! And here I thought it was a pain in the butt getting my stuff to go on a 30 minute drive to go fishing....LOL. You trekked thru a forest fire to canoe and go fishing....now THATS dedication! Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us...it was a great read.

Thanks for that solo, I've been waiting a long time for you to start posting about some of your trips !!

You take some incredible trips and as I've said before, it'd be great if you could ever take the time to post some of your stories in more detail. I know for a fact that alot of us would definetely enjoy reading about them. ;)

Thank's guys! I've got a lot more trip pic's from other expeditions, this particular one was 31/2 months....If I figure out how to improve the quality of my shots I'll likely post more. As far as the stories, I've got lots. One of my close friends has been bugging me to write a book, says he's got the perfect title for it: "I almost died!" LOL! (most of my best stories involve a near death experience :D ).

Cheers

Intriguing to say the least. One day when old and grey and on your last breaths, unlike many you'll feely fully content.

I'm stuck at work but looking forward to going home, throwing in my Fugawi Maps software and trying my darndest to follow your route.

Anytime you want to post adventure like that, please do, but elaborate even more.

Yep Whopper, dat be da same spot! Your pic is much sharper though...I think all I have to do is figure out how to manipulate the settings on my digital (I'm a complete novice) and the old pics will be much sharper. Thank's Moosebunk...as far as my exact route on that particular trip goes: it was down the Allanwater R. to Brennan Lake, then into Granite Lake, then on down the Allanwater R. again into Wababkimi Lake. From Wabikimi, down the Ogoki into Kenoji Lake. From there up the Pallisade system into Burntrock Lake. From there, (this part was nasty!) into Davies Lake, then through another lake downstream to the headwaters of the Misehkow. Down the Misehkow to the Albany, then waaaay down the Albany to it's confluence with the Ogoki River. All the way up the Ogoki to (eventually) Whiteclay Lake, then Whitewater Lake. From there via a series of small lakes to Smoothrock Lake, then into Caribou Lake where my trip ended and I caught the train home. I actually did a more epic trip than that one a couple of years ago.....but that's another story. I could elaborate more, but exactly how much do you guys want to read?! :D It would take a lot of writing to get really indepth.

Cheers, Mike