Anybody Up For A Trip To Nip Tomorrow?

pokeherman99

5+ inches? I find that hard to believe.

I was up at home (west of Sudbury - we live on a lake) and there was no safe ice. Guys actually put an ice hut out near home with the last "cold snap" and I wouldn't be surprised if they lost it, as the ice went south after that.

I drove south on 17 Sunday, everything was open. It's just gotten cold the last couple days, but not cold enough to make 5 inches (the first cold snap we had a while back put about 4" down where I was, and that was after 4 or 5 nights of freezing with temps down to -20). The low for sudbury tonight is 2 dregrees with a possibility of rain tomorrow.

If we get the temps they're calling for, there might be 5" by the middle of next week?? Not now.

Don't venture away from his spot then...I read that Hyatts been flooding the ice to build thickness!

We may sound like old mother hens...but we have your best interests at heart. I remember this last year like dejavue....and some didn't listen. Thankfully they were able to get home and post their "I fell thru the ice, should have listened" report!

Hi Irish. Its possible it still could be open water there. It was open the day before. The wind was still blowing hard today. 1 more week...Nobody wants to get out there more than me. You are right Irish, its not worth the risk.

Confirmed---Open water at Deepwater point today.

Edited by Nipissing

The bigger concern is finding bait?

The bigger concern for me would be, well.. going through :blink:

Screw minnows.

I would take the operators info with a grain of salt. Sounds like he's betting on ice that isn't there yet. They're calling for warmer than normal temps up until March, and we've had two cold snaps already that produced fishable ice, only for it to go back to the springtime weather and soft ice/open water. Who's to say it won't happen again?

I posted a while ago (maybe on another board) about guys getting gung-ho for "safe" ice. Don't risk it.