Restoule & Stormy Lake

nancur373

Ive had good success for pike on spinnerbaits particularly white and chartruese. Try the bay east of the park .We call it Valhalla Bay cause there is a sign there individual letters spelling Valhalla. Bass are eager to go on dropshot rigs in many places but my favourite is the point that extends out into the water just to the west of Porters Landing. The sandy point off Arthurs point has also proven bountiful. If you've got a week do some exploring. Restoule is a big lake and has tons of productive water. If you want to really explore try some of the surrounding backlakes. Hike up the falls at the west end of the lake and enjoy some excellent smallmouth fishing on Crooked Lake. Launch at Stormy and boat out of the docking bay to the NE you will see a big sand beach. Pull your boat up here and walk about 50 feet and you'll be on Hazel Lake which is full of Largemouth and some smaller musky. Good luck and dont forget to make a report when you come back.

I have been fishing Restoule and camping in the park for 20 years now. We just got back from 2 weeks there. The fishing was definately slower this year due to the fact the water temp was cooler than normal. We still managed a few good feeds of walleye and caught 3 musky in a time period of 30 minutes. My son caught a 5lb smallmouth off one of the park docks with a crayfish.

For walleye on Restoule Macarthurs Point which is west from the park seemed to be the hotspot this year. As well the first island west of the park. Bass are pretty much everywhere but Maws Island has great smallie action all around it. Musky are everywhere usually in the 15ft depths around islands or shoals. We watched one devour a smallmouth while standing on the government dock beside marina.

If you want some great bass action and have a canoe or small tinny or you can even fish from shore travel down Sand Lake road about 14 kms to Sand Lake. The road has some rough spots but you can get back there with a mini van,I did. Also just outside of the village of Restoule on the road to Powasson you will see Barton Lake. There is a spot to throw in a canoe or small tinny and again you can fish from shore. This lake has bass,pike and walleye and sees very little pressure.

Both Stormy and Clear have generally better fishing then Restoule. Try any of the shoals for walleye and bass. There are musky everywhere and some real big ones. Pike are very few in these lakes due to the fact the musky are so numerous. Try taking a boat ride down the river from Stormy towards the dam. Great bass water as well as probably the best pike fishing in the lakes.Once at the dam try fishing below it in the pools lots of smallies and maybe like us you will get be surprise. In the largest pool we pulled out 3 musky this year.One was about 25lbs the other 2 around 12-15. All were caught on 5 inch jigs fishing for smallies. Spend some time on Clear great fishing for walleyes, musky and bass. Lots of shore and shores to fish.

As for baits try jigs,minnow baits and of course live bait. Leeches for walleye and minnows for the bass.

For any other questions to be answered talk to Bing at Martins Camp.He will point you in the right direction.

• 6 years later...

I dont know much about the fishing in june in the area but in july we fish in 14-18 fow with twister tails tipped with leeches and minnows or worm harnesses slowly retrieved with a dew worm in the mornings and evenings for walleye and bass. Topwaters along the park shoreline in the evenings at dusk work great for bass and pike and the occassional musky.

Fishing in the park it awesome. I've been there twice on strictly "fishing" trips, and did very well for Bass & Pike.

Bass seemed to just love the dropshot rig with Slammers and Craws, topwater poppers and frogs, and jerkbaits.

Pike seemed to smoke spinnerbaits, topwaters and jerkbaits as well.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Best of luck and enjoy the trip!

Just talk to Bing(unless he has sold the camp) he will point you in the right direction. If I was hunting skis I would be spending more time on Stormy and clear . Big orange and black bucktail spinnerbaits and big black and gold pikie minnows work well. Lots of skis in the waters.

Edited by bowslayer

These lakes sound interesting for a mid September muskie trip I'm planning. A few questions:

1) Are there camps on all the lakes? Housekeeping or AP?

2) Can you get to all lakes without trailering your boat?

3) Are there islands and bays that offer prospects on very windy days?

4) What's the topography of the lakes....ie plenty of structure?

Thanks in advance!

underrated musky fishery

Only camps are on restoule and are housekeeping cottages. not sure if Mr.grawberger is still doing cottage and guiding packages or not. there is still martins and Eckford(I know they have a new name now) To get to stormy and clear lakes plus the restoule river you will have to trailer your boat down to stormy lake inside the park. there are lots of islands and bays to get out of wind on both all the lakes and down the river towards the dam. The lakes have lots of structure,dropoffs,sunken islands,boulders,logs and weedbeds,restoule stormy and clear all have depths of over 100ft and have lake trout and whitefish.

• 1 month later...

I'm a pickerel and musky kind of guy if I get bored some day I'll break out the downrigger and head for deep water,Ihad given up on lakers but now its confirmed that lakers exist i'll probably give it another go.Heading up to the park the 2nd week of aug and planning on hitting Clear pretty hard although its going to pretty hard to ignore the cabbage beds on restoule.

Given the slow start and not overly warm temperatures I would not ignore the deeper water - it is very likely that weed growth is behind, if your chasing musky and want a chance at a trophy I would take the approach of absolutely fishing weeds and positioning boat to just get to them - I would then do the same path and cast outward. I think the later could be the key - also look for the bait school and throw depth raider of same size maybe six or nine inch - trolling wont be random to induce a strike,good luck and post your trip efforts!

I've always had better luck working the cabbage beds adjacent to deep water placing the boat on the deep side and casting into the cabbage, it seems the bigger fish like to lay in ambush in the weeds as close to the deeper water as possible,I've had a number of hard strikes just as the lure breaks free of the weeds,in any event I guess i'll find out shortly.Just bought a new okuma komoda 350 paired with a 8ft Im8 heavey action rod and i'm dying to try it out.