Gull / Moore On Saturday --> Report

Entropy

Gull / Moore on Saturday --> Boat ??

Friday afternoon I have to make a phone call to my buddy.

We are thinking of putting my 14 ft alum in the truck and taking his 9.9 up to the Minden area lakes. Gull / Moore.

I would appreciate anyone driving past them this afternoon or tomorrow morning to post back.

I guess we need open water where we can slip it in .... I really don’t want to launch off ice, where there is 20 ft of ice then open water.

Updates would be appreciated, or advice.

Thanks

Entropy

Edited by Entropy

Left my buddies house (Kirkfield) in the early afternoon, drove up hwy 35

Noticed that the Gull River was totally open, got to Moore Falls. Both Moore and Gull were wide open, should have brought the boat or at least the canoe. Took a few casts in Moore - Nothing. Then I began my “Tour”

Headed up Deep Bay Rd. - Gull had no ice at all, could have driven a boat around the whole thing. Checked out Devil’s Lake, it had some ice not enough to walk on. Continued up to Little Bob Lake Rd. Saw a peddle boat below the dam, should have tied a rope to it and pulled her out, strap it to the roof and call it mine (forgot my tow rope at home). Little Bob had some open spots and much frozen. 4 Wheel drive paid off, much better than my pickup truck (2wd, no limited slip).. Very happy with this Chev Tracker. :)

Checked out Big Bob Lake, it was mostly covered with a couple open areas.

Drove up past Minden and Took a few casts in Mountain Lake (open), Twelve Mile was open / partially covered.

Toured around the east side of Mountain Lake (wow, I now know where they got the name from), and past Horseshoe Lake, and down past the Minden White Water Reserve ( wonder if I could make it through that in my canoe... might lose a rod.)

Stopped in at Minden Bait and Tackle, but by this time it was closed.

Got at bagel and coffee at Tim Hortons and headed back down home (Scugog).

The outing was enjoyable, have learned that the rest of the vehicles I buy WILL have 4 x4.

Sorry no pics, (Anyone want to donate a digital camera?)

If anyone knows where there is a boat launch on Mountain Lake or Horseshoe Lake, could you P.M. me, I would appreciate it.

Entropy

You may be interested in the Community GIS Map Service online for Haliburton County.

http://www.haliburtoncounty.ca/MapsGIS.htm

Also I think if you are launching a tin boat you can get one in just north of the Bridge at the top of the White Water Preserve. Then you can boat up Horseshoe and under the bridge into Mountain. There is some current there so be careful.

Thanks Nemo.

That launch just up the river from the WWR has signs posted all along it, with curbs in place "NO BOAT LAUNCHING".

Any idea why that is there now?

Any where else to launch?

Edited by Entropy