Formerly:bass Season Starting Earlier For Kawarthas

snag

(HI, THIS THREAD WAS STALE, SO PLEASE SEE THE NEW MUTATED THREAD POSTS/REPLIES BELOW:)

From the Osprey Jan.2, 2007

"Bass fishing season has been extended by one week as part of upcoming changes to provincial regulations.

Effective Jan. 1, 2007, opening day for bass fishing moves up to the fourth Saturday in June from the last Saturday of that month. This year, that means anglers can wet their lines for the popular sport fish on June 23, instead of June 30."

Several more changes to Ontario fishing regulations, as part of a new ecological framework for fisheries management, still require federal approval.

The upcoming changes will mean fisheries are managed on the basis of a zone rather than by individual lakes, based on ecological and social factors. The number of fishing divisions will be reduced to 20 from 37.

There are about 26 lakes in proposed Zone 17, which includes most of the City of Kawartha Lakes (formerly Division 6) as well as parts of Durham Region, Peterborough and Northumberland counties.

In November, the government asked anglers to continue following the 2005-2006 fishing regulations until the changes are approved and the 2007-2008 rules are released.

For more information, visit www.mnr.gov.on.ca.

Edited by snag

yup heard that b4 from someone on here, thats great!

Yeah, I figured that.

Can't get anything past this crowd.

Hey Mods, you know who you are, can you delete this?

I couldn't figure it out.

Thanks

(probably better some people show up late to fish in the season anyways!)

Edited by snag

more fish for ppl that know, ahha

eh Snag do u fish the islands for largies?

Well, I was going to this year.

I saw loads of them in the spring but never got around to it.

Definately this year.

How did you do this year there?

Well, I was going to this year.

I saw loads of them in the spring but never got around to it.

Definately this year.

How did you do this year there?

u gotta try, its pretty awsome action, i brought a few in on 2 trips, not badd, biggest 4,5 lber, lost quite a few in trout pond cus of em lily pads, but not now im better eqiupped , got my selft a baitcaster with 50lb braid, b4 plain old monfilament , 8 lb ... dude u gotta try it, i can take out on a tour if ya would like...

Edited by urbanangler1990

u gotta try, its pretty awsome action, i brought a few in on 2 trips, not badd, biggest 4,5 lber, lost quite a few in trout pond cus of em lily pads, but not now im better eqiupped , got my selft a baitcaster with 50lb braid, b4 plain old monfilament , 8 lb ... dude u gotta try it, i can take out on a tour if ya would like...

Sure man,

This season we'll hook-up!

I don't know if this is a good thing

I have seen the bass on the beds on many openners....

do we need them being caught up to a week earlier.

well I guess the MNR knows what they are doing and taking bass off beds, I guess doesn't hurt

While we're avoiding the PM's.. Snag, come down here in the spring for giant cats would ya?

Ok

Bring rod or gun?

I don't know if this is a good thing

I have seen the bass on the beds on many openners....

do we need them being caught up to a week earlier.

well I guess the MNR knows what they are doing and taking bass off beds, I guess doesn't hurt

Terry,

I was wondering the same thing.

I've always found them to be plentiful.

However, without reading any of the research, I still have my reservations......

I fish a small, deep pond/lake that would be devistated with a change like this.

50 lb braid, :glare: why not just drain the lake, or bette yet I can lend you a tractor with a couple yards of clothesline.

so just so I understand

would you rather lose a fish and have it swimming around with a lure and line

rather then using anything heavier the 8lb test?

when I fish heavy weeds or pads with mono I use 17 to 25 lb test

50lb braid is thinner then that

that's why I said in my post "up to a week earlier"

and as I said I was worried about spawning bass with the old date, so even a day earlier could be a concern

The lake I mentioned is fed by spring so there's no other efficient source of importing populations.

Having fished this spot for some time, I have become very aware of it's cycles and sensitivity.

It is one of my best kept secrets.

Sadly, I know that with todays technology, it will be found and fished.

I can't see how it will survive any pressure.

So that is why I think a day or 2, like Terry, counts.

p.s. I also tend to use very heavy line so that I don't lose a fish or let it die with a lure in it's mouth.

Edited by snag

10lb test simply wont survive if you're flippin' heavy pads, wood or weed cover for largemouth. You will break off any big fish you hook. Smallies are different.. they just bulldog in open water. You can land them on 6lb mono half the time.. you'll tire them half to death, but you can do it.

Edited by Rich

I match my line to the waters I am fishing, open water not a lot of junk in it 8 or 10 pound test line is fine, all I have to worry about is playing the fish. Fishing the slop, fishing wood or docks 8 or 10 won`t cut it, especially if you are fishing tournaments, nobody counts the ones you lost, just the one you weigh in. Why take the chance on losing a PB, and worse having it swim away with a hook stuck in it.

lol after all that talk I just did.. I just realized that my biggest bass of the year was caught the day I was forced to re-spool with 14 pound mono. Luckily the bass was an open-water spinnerbait bass, or I'd have been screwed.

I just spooled my bran spankin new baitcaster up with some left over 30lb power pro I had from my salmon rod!! Can't wait to giver a go! I love the control you have with braided lines...(they're newish to me)...just awesome.....

you guys think it'll be a problem in clear water conditions though?

cheers,

UF