Where Tim Horton Means Fish, Not Coffee Nf Kinda

ccmtcanada

Where Tim Horton means fish, not coffee

U.S. pro angler, company settle copyright issues

January 10, 2007

Cathal Kelly

SPORTS REPORTER

Exactly how big a deal is Tim Horton in Alabama?

"More popular than the doughnut store, I can tell you that," the former Bassmaster Angler of the Year said yesterday.

So it was more than a little annoying when some restaurant chain from Canada told Tim Horton the professional fisherman he couldn't use his name as a logo on licensed merchandise, like fishing lures and DVDs.

"I couldn't grasp it," Horton said. "How could I not be allowed to use my own name?"

His spat with the iconic Canadian company began last year when Horton attempted to trademark his name. The resident of Muscle Shoals, Ala., was contacted by lawyers from Tim Hortons who warned him about infringing on their copyright.

Horton, 34, is a veteran of the Bassmaster Elite Series, a professional fishing tour that sponsors events across North America that regularly feature six-figure winners' purses.

Looking for a compromise that didn't involve a court fight, Horton offered to change his name. He even asked officials on the fishing tour to begin referring to him as Timmy.

"But they had that name registered, too," Horton said.

By that point, the simmering confrontation was drawing attention at the Oakville head offices of Tim Hortons.

"Once it got to the corporate level, they were very cordial," Horton said.

In December, Tim Hortons agreed that Tim Horton may use his name on licensed products, as long as he doesn't use it as a logo. Just to prove there's no hard feelings, Tim Hortons spokesperson Rachel Douglas said yesterday she's packing up a "big box of swag" to send to "our good friend, Tim Horton."

Now the angler only has one remaining name-related problem with his friends in Muscle Shoals.

"Nobody will call me Tim anymore," he said with a laugh. "Now they'll phone up asking for Tom or Fred or whatever."

Newslink: http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/169576

I can understand that they didn't want him infringing on their trademark but it looked to me like a natural for them to jump on his wagon and put together a sponsership agreement. I don't know Tim Horton, the bass fisherman, but every thing I have heard and seen he is a class act.

I hear ya Fishergirl. Because of a large company, a friend of mine had to change his name. His real name was Toys. R. Us. He was so upset over having to change his name that he changed everything. I won't tell you his full name to protect his identity but I can tell you that his close friends call him 'Victorias'.