Economy Sinking~!

Benthook

I've kept quiet, mostly cuz I have no idea of the true extent of the problem as it applies to each of us in Canada. Much of the fear I suspect is driven by media reports of financial problems in the US housing market, and the reaction to rising oil prices across the N.A. market.

About all I'm reasonably certain of is that anyone who expects no negative change in their economic condition for an entire lifetime is in for some letdowns. Today it's at least as important as it was 100 years ago to be able to adapt. It's more complex nowadays but it still comes down to whether or not you have the tools to adapt to whatever comes your way. Maintaining the status quo is a fairy tale, no matter how many people tell you it's possible. Don't wait for the government, your employer or your union to put you first. They're all just trying to survive themselves, and any benefit to you is purely incidental.

They used to call it rolling with the punches, or versatility, but at the end of the day it's just plain old survival. There's no point in being down in the mouth about it. Just deal with it. Somebody throws you a lemon, make lemonade. (I like that one).

Good luck to all of us. We're better off here than folks in a lot of other parts of the world.

JF

The slowdown we are starting to see has been known for sometime. Those that have been preparing by reducing debt will be fine. Those that have been accumulating debt will wish they hadn't.

The global environment is changing, it has gone too far to be stopped. Currently 2/3 of metals are being used by China and India, that leaves 1/3 for the rest of the world. Many metal companies like GE are no longer selling metals to other companies because with the increased demand from China and India, GE simply doesn't have enough to sell.

If you think we are seeing a resource squeeze now then wait a few more years. All I can say is it's a good thing we are a natural resource country. Being a manufacturer I am being told this resource squeeze will last at least 10 years. In other words, oil, copper, steel, nickel, corn etc... will continue to become more expensive until those two countries have finished their growth spurt. If you want a stable job with a good future then you may want to look into the mining, oil and gas, or farming industry. If you are in NA auto manufacturing or customer support services,,, well you may want to rethink your career path.

It's always good to have a plan just in case- no doubt. That said, I refuse to watch the news in the U.S. It's all being orchestrated to convince us to vote one way or another. Have a plan but don't let the hype get you down.

Wouldn't it be nice if the political types put twice the amount of energy into fulfilling their election promises and mandate and half as much into following the party line? We're the willing victims of a massive con job.

JF