Balsam Lake report

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

First I'd like to say that the pictures Patrick took on his camera got wiped out, so there are no pictures. Thats a pity because I am telling you, I caught the biggest pumpkin seed in the world!!lol

Anyways....

Went out with another OFC'er(PatrickG) to Balsam in search for some smallie action.

Got there and there is a line up of bass boats. Apparently a bass club was doing a tournament on the lake. We worked our first spot that produced nothing but rockbass and one small Smallie. Got a nice chunky WGSF but as you know. No Pictures.

Decided to move. On the way to my second spot. We notice weeds so start to work them. Nothing. A guy comes and starts fishing there too,and he tells us that weedline stretches to a point and that it produces good fishing.

So we worked it. Patrick gets a hit on a tube. Brings it in and its a 23-24 inch pickerel. Lost at the boat!!!

We were getting excited. Worked it for another hour or so with no luck. Decided to go to my second spot. We get there and I cant find it...... Patrick suggests we fish close to shore. I'm like only little ones are going to be close to shore but did pick up a decent smallie close to 3lbs and Patrick picks one up also close to 2lbs

Picked up a lot of of smaller ones but I wanted bigger fish so we moved.

Worked my best spot in the lake. For Musky and pickerel. I was targeting pickerel with a grub and I was rewarded with a keeper. A 14 incher.

A little while later I pick up another one. This one in the slot and released. 19 inches

Then Patrick gets a nice hit. Gave a few nice jumps and brings in this nice Largie! In deepwater!

About 3 lbs.

So pickerel on tubes and largies on grubs.lol

Patrick was slaying the jumbo perch one after the other and then the wind changed direction and it died down. I decide I feel like targeting something else.

We fished a spot that produces in the evening but there was nobody home in the day. Then we fished a LMBass spot. I wanted to work on my jig and pig and no one was home. Decided to throw out the grub and wham! I got a fish on. Its another decent pickerel 23-24 inches. I lose it at the boat!!Dang! I could almost taste it!!!

Then we worked a spot I always heard was good and we picked up a few smallies and the biggest pumpkinseed I have ever seen. It was 10 inches by 10 inches(didn't actually measure the height but it was HUGE.lol

Then we decided to go to my second best spot on the lake. No body was home......But on the way there, i applied sunscreen on and forgot my lure in the water. We hear a big bang and what is it? My line got spooled! Lucky the rod didn't go in the water!!!Gotta go buy more line now!

We decided to go to another largie spot. I throw out the fluke and get a nice largie, jumps and he is off. Then I hook a tiny largie and that was about it. We didn't work too much slop because the bass guys had already worked over those spots.

We went to a weedy hump but the wind was blowing us too fast to work it in this area. Tried for a bit and nothing.

Went back to the more productive area and nothing was biting and the wind was not blowing the way we liked.

Patrick wanted to go to the spot where he lost the pickerel. We went and worked it. I caught another pickerel.But in deeper water(19ft). 17 inches, released.

Patrick also caught a nice chunky bluegill. No picture was taken.The sun was really beating down on us, and Patrick was tired so we left.

It was a great day. Caught a few fish, caught a few smallies here and there not mentioned. Had a few double headers.One smallie didn't make it so I kept it. Will try it out.(but it smelled when I got home...) Didn't hook or see any Musky but we were not targetting them much. It was too sunny and I knew they would be deeper and didn't feel like trolling. If we would have concentrated on the pickerel we would have probably caught more, but I like to target different species.

I did alot of running and gunning, but next time I will start to explore the lake more and try to find new spots. It was great meeting Patrick and we will do it again soon. Hope you enjoyed my report.

When my dad and I were on Balsam and gave up the musky hunting once the sun came out, we focused in on any shady spots for bass. Even right up against the bank. This is an extremely good tactic if its blue and sunny out.

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks guys. Ya Sean. I did a lot of running and gunning. Some times it is the right thing to do and sometimes it isn't, because if the spots don't produce you are using up valuable time driving around. But when the spot produces, you will know right away. After the first few casts.

Next time I will try to drive less and explore closer areas more. I just like looking for new structure all the time! Thats what I like most about being in a boat. And I have to start getting away from my milk runs. I will never find new spots like that.

It sucks about the pictures but they are just regular fish but that pumpkin seed???I bet you it would have broke a record! At first I thought it was a giant bluegill, after closer inspection? It was guaranteed a pumpkinseed. With the spot on its head the size of 3 marbles!!! 10 inches long, very thick and wide. Oh well!