2lb 14 oz crappie --> need help quickly

Beats

Got a 24hr Walmart or Zellers nearby? They'd likely have a cheap aquarium air pump that would help get you through the night. If you're going to do a partial water change, grab spring water while you're out.

Well, I just measured the fish and put it in the freezer until morning. Its triple bagged in grocery bags as its too big for the freezer bags I have and it will hopefully be getting weighed in the AM. I measured the length at 17 and 3/8 inches long and 12 1/8 inches in girth.

WhiteCrappieJuly0608025.jpg

WhiteCrappieJuly0608021.jpg

WhiteCrappieJuly0608029.jpg

WhiteCrappieJuly0608028.jpg

Edited by Beats

Thanks for the responses. I'll try and get it weighed in the morning. If you see the current record from that link that was posted (its in the thread further back) you can see that my fish is longer but has a smaller girth than the current holder. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Edited by Beats

Looks like a new record to me. Your local grocery store or post office should have certified scales. Congrats! Call the MNR as well as Canadian Sportfishing .i think they are the official reccord keepers...or maybe it is OFAH..can't remember

Congrats ! And Good luck on the record !

Definitely DONT tell the MNR the part about transporting it alive though .... thats against the law ... and we dont need any more tickets for OFNers :)

Congrats ! And Good luck on the record !

Definitely DONT tell the MNR the part about transporting it alive though .... thats against the law ... and we dont need any more tickets for OFNers :)

I sure hope they would let this slide, for the sake of saving a record fish!

Cheers!

Well, after all that, its not going to be a record breaker after all. I was not too confident in my scale to begin with and this morning I had my dad bring over his kitchen scale that is fairly new. While kitchen scales are not portable at all they are much more reliable in my eyes than digital fishing scales. I figured I didn't want to go and take it around London trying to get ppl to weigh the fish and sign all this stuff if I wasn't positive on the weight, so I weighed it again to double check. My dad's scale weighs it in, frozen, at 2lb 4 oz (2 and a quarter lbs). This is a full 10 oz less than the original weight that 3 of us saw my scale say 2 or 3 times when the fish was originally caught. Even a few hours after the fish was caught and I was measuring it, I weighed it a few more times and some of the times the scale would weigh the fish in at drastically less which made me concerned, and yet if I reset them it would return to the 2lb 14 z mark. Oh well. I am not going to bother taking it somewhere else to have it weighed yet again. I have no faith in my Berkeley digital scale/grip anymore. Some times it says 2lb 14 or 15 oz's and sometimes it says 2lbs 4 or 6 oz's which is closer to what the 2nd scale says. Although, as you can see in the pics, this fish has a longer length than the current record holder, it has a smaller girth and that may account for something. A belly weighs more than a tail.

While it's a disappointment, its still a great fish. After all that confusion I can honestly say I don't ever want to go through all that crap again. Having to run around and ask a million questions. The process may make sure the fish is legit, but it certainly isn't user friendly and has some flaws to it. I guess if anything, ppl can see the steps that need to be taken and not have to run around as I did and panic. Unfortunately, as we all know, fish are perishable which makes the whole process very time sensitive.

I know when I originally l told my dad last night about all the steps and that I had to go and get it weighed on a gov't certified scale and have witnesses and all that, his response was that I should just take some pictures and settle with having caught a really nice fish and who cares about a record, its still a record for me. I am leaning towards that for future catches. In many regards I wish that the fish had originally weighed in a few oz's shy of the known record and that my camera battery wasn't dead. Then I would have been more than happy to take a few pics and release the fish.

I know this thread got a lot of attention very quickly and I appreciate all the comments and advice. I thought I would feel a whole lot more disappointed with this result but I really don't. I have pics and measurements and a big fish in my freezer. I suppose it will be a meal in a few days.

Edited by Beats

Well that's too bad. Fish also lose water weight as time goes on, so freezing them right away is key. It is a flawed system, as I found out, and someone needs to take a look at it and make it a little more easier for anglers. There is no way that I can think of that would allow someone to keep a record fish alive. Especially if you are not allowed to transport live fish. Keeping it alive until you get it weighed is not easy and then you'd have to transport back to the body of water to release it. Not very realistic.

Why don't you get a mount done with the measurements. It definately is a trophy, and it would look great.

Joey

Edited by Joey

Well that's too bad. Fish also lose water weight as time goes on, so freezing them right away is key. It is a flawed system, as I found out, and someone needs to take a look at it and make it a little more easier for anglers. There is no way that I can think of that would allow someone to keep a record fish alive. Especially if you are not allowed to transport live fish. Keeping it alive until you get it weighed is not easy and then you'd have to transport back to the body of water to release it. Not very realistic.

Why don't you get a mount done with the measurements. It definately is a trophy, and it would look great.

Joey

I was thinking of either getting it mounted by a taxidermist or getting a replica made. I don't know of anywhere to have either option done around here though.

I'm not sure if it's the same up there as it is here, but we have "lake records". Our DNR keeps up with the largest species of fish coming from some of our more popular and larger bodies of water. If you're going to keep the fish frozen, you may want to check into this if you feel like it and have the time.

I figured I didn't want to go and take it around London trying to get ppl to weigh the fish and sign all this stuff if I wasn't positive on the weight, so I weighed it again to double check. My dad's scale weighs it in, frozen, at 2lb 4 oz (2 and a quarter lbs).

I would still get it weighed somewhere 'official', seeing that the Canadian record is 2.24 lbs.

2lbs. 4ounces is 2.25 lbs, if the fish weighs that or more it is a record. If it weighs more on certified scales get it witnessed.

Why not if you've gone this far?

I would still get it weighed somewhere 'official', seeing that the Canadian record is 2.24 lbs.

2lbs. 4ounces is 2.25 lbs, if the fish weighs that or more it is a record. If it weighs more on certified scales get it witnessed.

Why not if you've gone this far?

http://www.ofah.org/FishResources/index.cf...=7&RecID=44

This is the Ontario record, can't see that it is possible to have a smaller fish for a Canadian record.