French River Depth

RobHall

Hello OFNers,

I'm a new member here. I live in Ottawa, work at HP and love to fish as much as humanly possible. :Gonefishing: I have both light and heavy fishing equipment and spend 50% of my time fishing for the ever so elusive monster musky. The kind that make your heart pound and your eyes pop out of their socket. :w00t:

I have managed to squeeze in 2x 1 week fishing trips every year, for the past 7 years. :thumbsup_anim: We started out on the west arm (Welcome Lodge) for 4 years (caught my 1st musky in 2002, near Musky Island) and then moved to Rice Lake (some lunker Bass here) for one year and Restoule lake (not much luck here) for another year and now the gang has decided to try some river fishing in 2007. After some debate we decided to hit the French River, near Wolseley Bay. We will be heading up in late June and I was curious as to what the average depth was for the following areas. Deep Points? Shallow Points?

Main Channel, North Channel and Wolseley Bay.

frenchrivermainchannelnorthchannelw.gif

Has anyone fished this area during this past summer or in previous years. If so, what has the fishing been like the last couple of years. Any erea in particular, that may produce an eye popping musky or some decent walleye?

Thanks in advance,

fishinonthebrain :Gonefishing:

well you'll get into a bunch of fish off the shouls and in rapids, those areas will produce a variety of species, especailly that time of year. You'll catch anything from smallies to sturgeon and everything in between. This past summer my father and i stayed at Lockhaven for a couple of nights, which is near little pine rapids (i think). we got smallies and pickeral right around that island. Tubes, jigs and trolling cranks in the evening were the ticket. I also saw a 44" muskie pulled off one of the shouls with some decent cabbage growing off it. The guy was fishing with a shad-rap for eyes and smallies and fluked a nice muskie....gotta love the muskie surprise on light tackle

ps.

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!

This part of the river is more like a lake. There are deep sections in excess of 110' . Depending on water levels (controlled by two dams upstream) there may be hazards lurking beneath the surface. Outside of Wolseley Bat it is mostly unmarked and as you propably know it is not charted either. If not sure, take it easy.

Muskies? Yes. ;)

Edited by Raf

I have fished this body of water for many years and of course have seen the water level drop, if you fish in Wolseley you will find depths of 34 to 86 feet as you haed south and approach the Main Channel if you head east(left) you will find yourself in a huge bay where the depths can go to 131 and more feet.

If you are looking for Musky instead of heading east head west the the same intersection, you will see and light brown cottage on your left and a dark brown cottage on your right these are the only two landmarks that make this intersection.. anyway head west the depths range from 32 to 48 feet if you take it to the end and I mean till the rapids you will find a nice section that reanges in the 15 to 32 feet.

I caught a 36 lbs musky trolling in this area back and forth and there are pickeral there also.

If you need morer info email me :

Ken

[email protected]

well you'll get into a bunch of fish off the shouls and in rapids, those areas will produce a variety of species, especailly that time of year. You'll catch anything from smallies to sturgeon and everything in between. This past summer my father and i stayed at Lockhaven for a couple of nights, which is near little pine rapids (i think). we got smallies and pickeral right around that island. Tubes, jigs and trolling cranks in the evening were the ticket. I also saw a 44" muskie pulled off one of the shouls with some decent cabbage growing off it. The guy was fishing with a shad-rap for eyes and smallies and fluked a nice muskie....gotta love the muskie surprise on light tackle

ps.

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!

GO LEAFS GO??? :rolleyes:

Isnt it Gone Leafs Gone? ;)

Thanks for the info woodro. I think i checked out Lockhaven, but was not too keen on not being able to drive right up to the cabin. I suppose it's okay, if you're travelling light. Sounds like it will be well worth the trip, with a great chance to catch a monster musky and a few eyes.

fishinonthebrain :Gonefishing:

I've fished out of Wolseley Bay the past three years and I'm booked there again the last Week in September this year. The main channel from Wolseley Lodge our to Rainy Island is pretty clear sailing as long as you stay a little way off shore. A few shoals along the left-hand side as your coming out, but the rocks on the outside part of the shoal have been out of the water more than enough to see where things are. Other than that, I've not had any problems or worries heading towards Rainy Is.

Coming out, you can swing down the North Channel, but I've had no luck at all down there, other than the smaller pike here and there. Go clear to the end, where the rapids are, and I've heard of a few nice skis taken there.

I've fished all around Crane's, including a large bay that's down along thje left-hand side of the lodge. No luck down there, but the few times I've been there, it was so dang windy, I could hold a spot for long. Looks like some potential structure, so I'll be back again.

A lot of guys fish out around 5 finger rapids, which is on your map. The first year at Wolseley,. someone pulled a 50+ somewhere in that area. Can't give you any specifics, as I have not yet fished that area. I do plan to hit it pretty good this year.

Lots of good structure around and out from Wolseley and the potential is certainly there for a trophy size fish.

Good luck and let me know how you make out in June. I wanted to switch from September to JUne for some longer days, but the better half can't tolerate the black flies.

I can try to give you a little more info if you wish. Wanted to get a quick post out before heading off to bed.

Best of luck to ya !

<-- french river 'ski ;)

Cranes has a barge they use to pick you and your stuff up. They're in a great spot with lots of good fishing nearby. If you're are bringing your own boat it's about a 10-15 min ride at 25mph from the launch at then end of Wolseley Bay.

I can't believe I am helping a sens fan. ;)

Rich C. , last week of Sept is a great time to go there searching for a muskie. I would take it over June every year.

Edited by Raf

The time I was up there I marked fish all over. If you have a high speed depth finder you might want to travel around some and check some of the island points right in the bay. At Five Fingers there is an island to the south. Troll between it and the shore. Lots of weeds with some shallow spots, you never know what is lurking in there. Also go up the river if you can get under the bridge tossing spinner baits. At the top at night time there are some large fish in there. Good luck.

<-- french river 'ski ;)

Cranes has a barge they use to pick you and your stuff up. They're in a great spot with lots of good fishing nearby. If you're are bringing your own boat it's about a 10-15 min ride at 25mph from the launch at then end of Wolseley Bay.

I can't believe I am helping a sens fan. ;)

Rich C. , last week of Sept is a great time to go there searching for a muskie. I would take it over June every year.

Nice ski Raf!! Hopefully i catch one just like in late June. Cranes looks like a great spot, being situated on Commanda Island. I know exactly where it is and plan to fish many different areas. I hear alot about the Five Finger Rapids as well as the Chaudiere Channel leading up to the rapids and the far end of the North Channel right up to the Cedar Rapids. (see map)

frenchrivermainchannelnorthchann-1.gif

I had no idea that parts of the french river was in excess of 110'. That's good to know and i will certainly be very cautious when boating. My dumb ass and GPS will get some got use on this fishing trip. Still 6 1/2 months to go. :( Hopefully the time will just fly by. :thumbsup_anim:

fishinonthebrain

:Gonefishing:

I have fished this body of water for many years and of course have seen the water level drop, if you fish in Wolseley you will find depths of 34 to 86 feet as you haed south and approach the Main Channel if you head east(left) you will find yourself in a huge bay where the depths can go to 131 and more feet.

If you are looking for Musky instead of heading east head west the the same intersection, you will see and light brown cottage on your left and a dark brown cottage on your right these are the only two landmarks that make this intersection.. anyway head west the depths range from 32 to 48 feet if you take it to the end and I mean till the rapids you will find a nice section that reanges in the 15 to 32 feet.

I caught a 36 lbs musky trolling in this area back and forth and there are pickeral there also.

If you need morer info email me :

Ken

[email protected]

Thanks for the info Ken. :) I will certainly take your advice and fish the far end of the North Channel. I also plan on hitting the Five Finger Rapids and Chaudiere Channel. I will hit you up with an email if i need more info.

fishinonthebrain

I've fished out of Wolseley Bay the past three years and I'm booked there again the last Week in September this year. The main channel from Wolseley Lodge our to Rainy Island is pretty clear sailing as long as you stay a little way off shore. A few shoals along the left-hand side as your coming out, but the rocks on the outside part of the shoal have been out of the water more than enough to see where things are. Other than that, I've not had any problems or worries heading towards Rainy Is.

Coming out, you can swing down the North Channel, but I've had no luck at all down there, other than the smaller pike here and there. Go clear to the end, where the rapids are, and I've heard of a few nice skis taken there.

I've fished all around Crane's, including a large bay that's down along thje left-hand side of the lodge. No luck down there, but the few times I've been there, it was so dang windy, I could hold a spot for long. Looks like some potential structure, so I'll be back again.

A lot of guys fish out around 5 finger rapids, which is on your map. The first year at Wolseley,. someone pulled a 50+ somewhere in that area. Can't give you any specifics, as I have not yet fished that area. I do plan to hit it pretty good this year.

Lots of good structure around and out from Wolseley and the potential is certainly there for a trophy size fish.

Good luck and let me know how you make out in June. I wanted to switch from September to JUne for some longer days, but the better half can't tolerate the black flies.

I can try to give you a little more info if you wish. Wanted to get a quick post out before heading off to bed.

Best of luck to ya !

Thanks for the info Rich. I'm thinking the Black Flies won't be too bad at the end of June. Especially with a possible early sping, with the way the weather has been going. I guess this would mean an earlier spawning season in most waters. I just hope the weather is stable and the bite is on, come late June. :thumbsup_anim:

fishinonthebrain

The time I was up there I marked fish all over. If you have a high speed depth finder you might want to travel around some and check some of the island points right in the bay. At Five Fingers there is an island to the south. Troll between it and the shore. Lots of weeds with some shallow spots, you never know what is lurking in there. Also go up the river if you can get under the bridge tossing spinner baits. At the top at night time there are some large fish in there. Good luck.

Thanks for the info Dave. The OFC community has been very helpful and i'm sure by the time i head up to the French River in late June, i will have my week all planned out on where to go and what to fish.

fishinonthebrain