driving test failure

Given the vast amount of people out on the roads today that CLEARLY cannot drive it is refreshing that at least some people are failing the test. For far too long drivers licenses were handed out as a right. The MTO was too worried about "offending" anyone attempting the test. And what about the Scarborough office scandal (many years ago) where you could BUY a license without taking the test.

Our first priority should be for the safety of those that use our highways and if that means failing a few then great. I'd also be in favour of making the test MUCH more difficult and higher standards on the quality and safety of the vehicles on the road.

If you have the time - seek out the book "High and Mighty: SUVs--The World's Most Dangerous Vehicles and How They Got That Way" It's a great read with references to inexperienced drivers, vehicles that instill an invincible mentality, etc. Should be mandatory driver education :lol:

...maybe they should not just have the 5 week college course but maybe have a 1 -2 year course so they can actually find the bad drivers and pass the good ones.

Believe me, we would love to see that. The standards for instructors should be very high, and their are some people working to try to bring about those sorts of changes, but there are too many people standing in the way, people who don't want to see their livelihood jeapordized, those who don't want to have to actually learn something, and those who genuinely don't see a problem with the status quo. :wallbash:

I could name names, but the last thing any board needs is a lawsuit. :whistling:

Given the vast amount of people out on the roads today that CLEARLY cannot drive it is refreshing that at least some people are failing the test. For far too long drivers licenses were handed out as a right. The MTO was too worried about "offending" anyone attempting the test. And what about the Scarborough office scandal (many years ago) where you could BUY a license without taking the test.

Our first priority should be for the safety of those that use our highways and if that means failing a few then great. I'd also be in favour of making the test MUCH more difficult and higher standards on the quality and safety of the vehicles on the road.

If you have the time - seek out the book "High and Mighty: SUVs--The World's Most Dangerous Vehicles and How They Got That Way" It's a great read with references to inexperienced drivers, vehicles that instill an invincible mentality, etc. Should be mandatory driver education :lol:

Amen to that one!

Well I,ll tell ya two stories here.

First one.

Past my 365 with ease. Next was the test. I show up with an old beater my boss lent me from the garage. It was a shifter on the floor. Heres the kicker,I never used one,only the one on the steering colum. To add to this,all the letters were gone. I knew park was at the top but no idea where the others were. 16 and stupid,well not stupid but,anyhoo.

I go for my test,doing ok til I make a turn and cut a guy off,after that it was parallel parking. Ok which way for reverse,up or down,guess where I stuck it? 2nd low. FAIL. I excepted that as I knew I screwed up.Lesson learned

My second attemped I got my own car,shifter on the colume,69 dodge correnet. I have been practicing alot and was ready for the test again. Well I get to the place and theres this over wieght guy. Guess what,my seat belt does not fit him. He says come back when I get another. So I book it home,undo the bolt that holds in in place and shove a srew driver through the hole and pull it tight up against the seat. There no way this belt was not going to fit him.

Do the road course through Brampton,he has a few pointers and a smart remark about driving an older car.

Back we get, I pass. Cool,go in get my papers. Just as I am about to leave he,s about to get into another car. This is childish now I know,but I lit them tires up as I left (that car could do a great break stand show. I could see him shaking his head in my rear view.LOL

Chill little one,it will come.

Yup you Betcha, when I took my Semi Truck lessons (Crossroads Barrie) they told us how some drivers would use a 5th wheel on a Pickup truck and get their Licence. You Know what, I believe them.

I know lots of people on the farms around here who got their A rating with a pickup and a 5th wheel. The law allowed it and they took advantage of it. Now the sad part came when they went for jobs driving real tractor trailers to get off the farm, and they bent up some equipment.... One owner of a fleet around here soon learned that just because someone had a AZ for 4 years it didn't mean they were experienced...

Failed my first time too. Took my test in a snow storm. Only fish tailed the old '77 Dodge tradesman van once..but that was enough...lol.

Then about 19 years later, I get a letter saying I had to do my G test since my five years was almost up.

No one cared that I had been licensed since 1984, they just knew the computer said I had to do the test.

Long story short..I did the test while waiting for them to sort out the mess. I failed! I didn't apparently slow down while driving past a school in July (never went over the speed limit) or 'take precautions' while driving through an intersection while I HAD THE GREEN LIGHT! and 'paralell parked too quickly' and failed to look left/right while driving past 'dangerous areas'.

So by the time we get back and the instructor tells me i have failed and have to keep my G2 (which I didn't have!) a supervisor comes out and says they found the computer error and tears up my failing test. They refunded my money and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at the whole thing.

I did manage to look at the testing parameters and what they look for before it got tossed..they do look for the dumbest stuff. Alot of it requiring drivers to not be looking straight ahead. The supervisor agreed with me the new standards were quite stupid since most accidents are caused by people not looking where they are going or what is in their path ahead of them.

Take your test in Guelph, they pass everyone

I was doing 60 in a 50 zone and I kept palming the wheel instead of the 10 and 2 thing and I still passed

make sure you take it on a friday afternoon too, they'll be in a better mood and maybe a little more leniant than if you do it on a monday morning

here is a story for ya.

Last year or the year before my buddy was taking his G test. He was on the highway and someone was tailing him like crazy. Got off the highway and the examiner told him he should have sped up and was driving dangerous. He was going the speed limit in the slow lane as I was told. I guess they were having a little fight so he pulled over and told him to get the F out. and drove away.

haha

I booked my G test for the 17th but my car went belly up so I gotta cancel.:(

The funny thing about it all is, that I bet you still got to drive your car home!!! Failed a driving test but still get to drive, now that makes sense!

Ironic, isn't it?!

Misfish, '69 Dodge Coronet! Nice! :clapping: Betcha wish you could have that car again.

I got my license in 1961 up in Agincourt and used my Mom's little 1955 Austin A-35.

A funny little English car not much bigger that your kitchen table with a 4 speed floor shift and for turn signals, there was a big knob on the dashboard. When you turned it either direction, a lighted plastic arm would swing out from the side of the car pointing in the direction you were gonna turn :lol:

In order to swing the arm back inside the car you simply turned the knob back to center.

I was making a left turn and switched the arm back in before I completed the turn and lost a point for that. The driving tester had never seen a contraption like that before and I don't think he knew how to penalize me properly so he said he'd let me off easy :thumbsup_anim:

Crazy little car but me & my buds sure had some laffs in it for the next couple years.

as3.jpg

Edited by lew

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I grew up in an A-35 Lew. Believe it or not at 5 years old I used to stand in the front between Mom and Dad and turn the signals (indicators) when Dad said he was turning right or left. Try letting your 5 year old do that today..........

John, that's hilarious that your folks had an A-35 too, I just added a picture that I found on the net. Your right about the different rules today, you'd be tossed in the clink now if you let your kids do what we did.

And Roy, do you remember how Agincourt was waaaaaaay out in the boonies back then, man that was an expedition just getting out there.......today it practically downtown :lol:

I failed my first G test as well. The evaluator said I had a "rolling stop" at a stop sign. He asked me just after I made the turn if I though it was a complete stop, and I said "Ya I'm pretty sure it was" I guess he didn't like that response so he failed me.

Took the test again and passed with flying colours. Just get out there and take it again as soon as you can. I wouldn't go through the whole complaint, just seems like too big of a hassle, just swallow your pride and take it again!

in order for you to fail a driving test you have to be a really bad driver (many people fail to admit this) or the instructor had it out for you. id choose the first option in most cases.

when i did my road test to get my G2 i had to merge onto the highway, drive around a few blocks, and park in a parking lot.

for my road test to get my G it was pretty much just a cruise around town until my left front caliper locked up so tight that id lay a patch every time i tried to move. flicked on the 4-ways to find the problem and then proceeded to the nearest parking lot doing what you should do in that situation. i passed with flying colors.

the bottom line is instructors can tell if you are very nervous or just a bad driver. if you know how to drive properly then its impossible to fail. ya always hear stories about "perfect drivers" failing, when its really just bad drivers blaming the instructors for not giving them the license they arent ready for yet.

my dad would have a new story everyday about what happened at truck driving school. sounds brutally easy to get your AZ

I passed my G test in Aurora less than 2 months ago 1st try, and my driving instructor wasn't a jackass. Nevertheless, go back there, take the test again, and show them what you can do! You will only become a better driver for it.

Edited by grilw