ANOTHER Carp Die-Off??

Photoz

Carp fishing brings in more tourist dollars in the Kawarthas & area than ALL other types of fishing combined.

Just curious where this info comes from? I've always been curious as to the economic breakdowns of the various fish species in Ontario, as well as total economic impact of anglers on an area, but have never seen anything that I could use.

Charles

I know this will raise some eyebrows but I personally do not like carp. they overrun lakes and are disgusting looking. The reason more people fish for carp is because in a lot of these places there are not a lot of species of gamefish to be caught except carp. Did you ever try to eat one? Thinning them out will not hurt anything and if those carp that are in the states ever get into our waterways then our fishery may be destroyed.

I know this will raise some eyebrows but I personally do not like carp. they overrun lakes and are disgusting looking. The reason more people fish for carp is because in a lot of these places there are not a lot of species of gamefish to be caught except carp. Did you ever try to eat one? Thinning them out will not hurt anything and if those carp that are in the states ever get into our waterways then our fishery may be destroyed.

Common Carp have co-existed with 'gamefish' for hundreds of years and are here to stay. Our fisheries are being destroyed by pollution, over-harvest and the loss of quality spawning habitat, not Carp! (true that common carp in numbers can contribute to habitat destruction, but not on the scale other factors contribute)

Now the Asian carp is a whole different story, that species of carp has not been historically introduced and fits the definition of an invasive species better than the common carp. They are being strictly controlled for a reason.

Tony

Everyone's subjected to have their own opinions and ideas on this as long as it's not violating any regs. So i'm not arguing who's right or wrong here, just giving my ideas ...

There are many reasons why people fish for carp; A couple of them would be ... 1) they are everywhere, they can tolerate tougher environments relative to other gamefish. 2) their average size is fairly big. 3) they put up quite a good fight most of the time. 4) you can easily get 10 15lb+ fish within a few hours on a good day ... and there are many more

It is true that more and more people fish for them in the city nowadays but many also travel great distances for carp. Because of the great carp fishery we have here in Ontario, many European anglers come here for a week every year just to fish.

It might be true that carp isn't great tasting to many people (I do not eat them either), but many people fish for the sport and not for food.

No dead carp seen on the upper side of the dam at Bobcaygeon today...Saw several live jumpers that seemed to be laughing at me as none would pull on my string...miserable sots !!! :wallbash:

Oh well...maybe the bass will be more co-operative tomorrow... :whistling:

The Simcoe Carp die off story has hit 680news. Being attributed to an annual die off???

I was looking for last minute cottage rental and booked a bay on Simcoe's NW side last night....now my wifes phoning about smelly fish stories.

Like Ron at Little Lake I have noticed a decline in the numbers at my "Swim" in Caygeon. Best morning this spring was 7 landed, but last week on vacation I got skunked 3 times and that has never happened in June over at Carp Point. Average size is way down as well. Typically we get a majority of the fish 18-23 LBS..this is a guess...this year 8-12 LBS.

It's to bad if a die off is happening over on Simcoe. Never like to hear of a die off of any kind.

Might have to get the boat out and chase walleye and bass again. Haven't done that during the summer months since I started Carpin.

mmhmmm.. quite the news.. Need I remind you that carp are an invase species that were INTRODUCED (that's right) here for the purposes of consumption by eastern europeans.. A massive carp die-off could only be beneficial.

YAY!!

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

:asshat:[quote name='Highdrifter' date='Jun 27 2008, 03:37 PM' post='220447']

mmhmmm.. quite the news.. Need I remind you that carp are an invase species that were INTRODUCED (that's right) here for the purposes of consumption by eastern europeans.. A massive carp die-off could only be beneficial.

YAY!!

HD

Old Wives Tale #97 . . . . a statement like that deserves no other comment.

Carp fishing brings in more tourist dollars in the Kawarthas & area than ALL other types of fishing combined.

Sorry Photoz, I agree with most of what you say - but I had to laugh at this "fact"

If anything, panfish bring in more tourist dollars. Mostly from the hundreds if not thousands of Americans who come up and fill their baskets. They rent cottages, hotel rooms, pay launch fees or dockage, buy bait... the list goes on. The few UK tourists that go to Peterborough and area are nothing in comparison. And let's face it - 10lb bag of maize = $3. 2 dozen worms = $3

10lb bag of maize lasts a year.

2 dozen worms lasts 2 hours.. if ya stretch em out. Nevermind minnows and leeches!

I got this 'FACT' from a fishing show, that used several British fishing mags as examples, booking British & Europeans (several interviews with local outfitters, tourisim officials AND the tourists themselves) to come over here on carp fishing excursions, mostly in the Kawarthas, but a lot along the St. Lawrence too. Most were booked FULL 2 years in advance! No musky excursions, no bass excursions, no pickerel or pike excursions, and not even one panfish excursion. As for facts . . very few panfishing excursions book tourist accomodation, for up to a month, and literally LIVE in the area . . . . if we're gonna talk facts, perhaps you might be more careful to get yours straight, BEFORE ridiculing someone elses? Someday when you are near a well-stocked magazine rack, have a boo at the advertising for carp fishing, rated as omong the best in the world and money these foreign anglers spend just to come over here and fish carp, But . . . . they could be dwindling by now, with the skyrocketing costs of fuel and news of the carp dying off. And I have 2 bags of corn (40 kilos each) that I'll be VERY happy to sell @$3.00 for each 10 pound bag . . . which, usually gets me through ONE fishing trip! (10 pounds)

Nature has it's own ways of controlling populations, but if someone is playing amatuer biologist they need there butt's kicked !

And I don't care who spends what fishing for whatever we are doing what we are passionate about and that's FISHING :Gonefishing: were supposed to be all on the same team

Have a wonderful long weekend everyone

Whether there is or isn't another Carp die-off in Ontario, the Carp fishing here will always remain world-class, just scroll the first couple pages of reports on this forum and count the number of carp pictures!

If a parasite or a disease has infected the Carps, well, watchagonnado! That's nature for ya, epidemics are nothing new! I doubt it was done deliberately by anyone, especially the MNR, who spend quite a bit of time and effort advertising and promoting Carp fishing in Ontario, so it would be a bit hypocritical of them to thin out the population while making all these promotional efforts.

Where are all these kawartha carp fisherman hanging out? I'm on the water twice a week at least, and I can't say I've seen any carp fishermen? I do see lots of american boats on the water though.....HMMM

Must be a secret spot that I don't know about?

Sinker

No carp die off anywhere around here. Lots and lots of the big smelly beasts so come to the Thames anywhere from London to Stratford and fish until your arms fall off. Take them home to do whatever with too please eat em mount no danger around here of them going extinct. So if any rich European fishermen are reading this any of the towns between London and Stratford welcome your tourist dollars and we have the carp too. Heck bring your wife let her take in a play in either London or Stratford it seems no one else is going to them anymore and you just fish fish fish!!!!.

:Gonefishing:Gee . . . I've fished the Kawarthas for carp many times . . . ran into MANY others of my ilk . . . but never saw YOU anywhere up there either?? Maybe you don't shore-fish the carp spots? Come to think of it . . . I've NEVER yet run into any American anglers either . . . hm m m m m . . . what does this all mean . . . . I suppose we MIGHT just be figments of our imaginations, eh? Have ya even seen any other carp fishing members of this board up there? Figments too?

My sons and I counted 14 dead carp off of our dock in Gilford today. The pan fishing with bobbers and worms was non stop and my 8 year old was catching a few nice bass. There is definately something going on with the carp but we saw lots of live ones as well.

Read on another board of lots of dead carp at Lagoon City so this is spreading-my buddy fished near Mcrae Point PP and counted about 10 dead carp floating around. He says 1 dead carp near launch almost made them puke when wind died down.

This lasted about 7-10 days on most Kawartha lakes last year? Looking at old threads, news stories....hard to compare to Simcoe which is much larger. There are plenty of carp in Cook's Bay, as this virus moves to SW corner of Simcoe expect a major news story.

too many useless carp around anyways so i cant see any problem with a die off here and there ;)

Too many useless pike, pickerel, bass, and musky (sorry Lew) around our lakes also...lets hope these species get hit next with some sort of virus... :angry:

There...how does it feel to have your species of choice attacked ??? :devil:

Do you not understand that while we are fishing for carp we are leaving all the others for you to catch...

OFC Carp Anglers Unite !!! :jerry:

Edited by Beans

Do you not understand that while we are fishing for carp we are leaving all the others for you to catch...

Thanks Norm. J/K Bud

Myself and Terry were talking about this today while we seen this. I had mentioned , how can the carp be dead and not the bass. I hAve no idea why this happen,but talking to the guy I payed for the launch,he seems to believe it was done on purpose. To kill the fish,means they cannot lay eggs. Just what he said.

Still a nasty sight

Where are all these kawartha carp fisherman hanging out? I'm on the water twice a week at least, and I can't say I've seen any carp fishermen? I do see lots of american boats on the water though.....HMMM

Must be a secret spot that I don't know about?

Sinker

Sometimes right off Big Cliff's dock but don't tell anybody...

Edited by Beans

I got this 'FACT' from a fishing show, that used several British fishing mags as examples, booking British & Europeans (several interviews with local outfitters, tourisim officials AND the tourists themselves) to come over here on carp fishing excursions, mostly in the Kawarthas, but a lot along the St. Lawrence too. Most were booked FULL 2 years in advance! No musky excursions, no bass excursions, no pickerel or pike excursions, and not even one panfish excursion. As for facts . . very few panfishing excursions book tourist accomodation, for up to a month, and literally LIVE in the area . . . . if we're gonna talk facts, perhaps you might be more careful to get yours straight, BEFORE ridiculing someone elses? Someday when you are near a well-stocked magazine rack, have a boo at the advertising for carp fishing, rated as omong the best in the world and money these foreign anglers spend just to come over here and fish carp, But . . . . they could be dwindling by now, with the skyrocketing costs of fuel and news of the carp dying off. And I have 2 bags of corn (40 kilos each) that I'll be VERY happy to sell @$3.00 for each 10 pound bag . . . which, usually gets me through ONE fishing trip! (10 pounds)

There was no need to be rude with me. I was just debating your information, considering you posted no source with it the first time. I didn't debate that there were people coming from overseas to fish the carp. I just debated that it earned more money than ALL other ones COMBINED.

I used to live in downtown Peterborough. I walked by the infamous carp spots daily, and occasionally fished them. I did usually see 1-2 anglers in each spot. Some days I saw none.

But I tell ya, I bet my life savings next time I hit a kawartha lake for a week, I'll see other bass, panfish and musky anglers EVERY SINGLE DAY. They all spend money to get to those fish, some on a daily basis. Since they aren't just staying for a month, they do it about 6 months out of the year. There's a heck of a lot of anglers who already live here and fish the kawarthas 6 months out of the year.

I'm sorry if my own facts from first-hand experience somehow offended you.

Oh yeah, and I subscribe to several magazines. I've never seen articles or information regarding the tourism industry in the kawartha lakes area as it pertains to carp angling.

Edited by Rich