A nice Lakair musky

lew

Hi guys, I got home from Lakair this morning after another fabulous week up there and can't wait to get back up there again in August.

As has already been said in several posts, the 2008 trip was excellent as it every year. We had some scattered showers Wednesday & Thursday, then myself & Aplumma got caught in a huge downpour on Friday but other than that everything was beautiful.

I was using a new tent & dining shelter this year and everything worked out perfectly and never leaked a drop even in the heaviest of the rains.

Cnv0087.jpg

Musky season opened on Saturday for Lake Nippissing and I was on the water & heading for a favorite spot as the sun was breaking over the horizon and when it looks this pretty, you just know the rest of the day has to go well too. :Gonefishing:

Cnv0091.jpg

There was a nice chop on the water and I wanted to start casting to a rocky point up in Muskrat Bay before it got too bright out. I was twitching a new Firetiger Shallow Raider and after a few minutes it got smacked real hard by a musky I but only had her on for a few seconds before she spit the hook.

With the cool water this season the cabbage isn't as high or as dense as usual in many areas, but I headed to another favorite spot about 1/4 away mile to have a look and found some nice thick patches in some areas with plenty of open water between them which is something I actually prefer to cast to, rather than trying to cover a huge indistinguishable flat of weed.

I got downwind & clipped on a large black/orange Grim Reaper spinner bait and started working it thru the cabbage patches. The wind was working in my favour and with the help of the tracking lines on my GPS I was able to make several long drifts towards shore and move about 50' apart for each consecutive drift and cover all the patches.

On the 4th drift and about 150' west of my starting point, I tossed the bait out and almost as it touched the water about 50' away, this big girl nailed it from just under the surface put up an excellent fight before I got her in the net.

A quick picture and measurment and she took off strong and headed for home.

It was interesting too as I got her only about 100 yards from where I landed another big fish in the fall of 05 and both fish came from 8 fow in the cabbage patches.

I'm already lookin forward to heading back up there in August to see if this girls Momma is hanging around the same area. ;)

Cnv0084.jpg

Thanks to all the OFNers who helped make this another fabulous week @ Lakair :thumbsup_anim:

Great report Lew. It was a real pleasure to see you again up there this year. I took your advice and checked out that area you mentioned where you got that nice musky in your pic. Had a follow and strike...just no hook set. I think my heart is still pounding....LOL.

Glad to see you made it home safe.

nice fish...all you guys with the nice musky pics are killing me, I can't give it a go until like Sunday or Monday.

That must have been the biggest fish caught on that trip, thanks for the big gigantic teaser :Gonefishing:

Nice one Lew !...

Definately bigger than Maureen's but then again she doesn't have your experience... :whistling:

48 inches eh?...one inch shorter you would have had to release her...like it or not... :lol:

Edited by Beans

Very nice fish Lew didnt land anything that big this weekend but my buddy lost the fish of a lifetime casting a Grim Reaper bucktail to the Canadian Side Fish took and sounded screaming drag the whole way. Had it on for 5 minutes Head shaking the whole time but could get it off bottom then nothing reel up hooks pulled out. I think hes still shaking. We ve caught many fish in the high 40's and Ive been on the boat when a 37 lber was landed but nothing Ive seen put up a fight like this.