Canada Puts Brakes on Electric Vehicles (NF)

Rich

Exactly!

If they make an electric car to haul around my 2 kids, two large dogs, boat, car trailer and what ever else I decide to take with me I would happily trade my suburban for it.

I don't have the $$$ to have another vehicle in the driveway either.

How often do you haul 2 kids, 2 dogs, a trailer or whatever else? 2%-5% of the time, maybe?! Keep a log of the time you drive solo/with one passenger, towing nothing (to work, to the mall, to the ball game, etc...) and you'll be amazed! You do have the money to put a second car in your driveway... you're just burning it in your Suburban's tank every month. I'd love to know what you spend in gas every month on that Suburban?!

The gas money you'd save in driving a small car for the remaining 90% of your travels would probably get close to paying for the small car's monthly payments! You could keep your Suburban and buy a Civic, Elantra or other cheap small car!

Here's a fuel comparison of an Avalanche vs a Civic with old and new MPG measurements for city/highway/overall driving. Also includes Consumer Reports real world driving tests. EPA tests on a dyno with no wind/hills/cornering. CR measures in the field, driving the cars.

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche (available 4wd)

** Your Suburban is at least 1500 lbs heavier than this Avalanche according to Chevy!**

Engine: 5.3L V8 Transmission: Automatic

Old EPA City: 14

Old EPA Hwy: 18

Old EPA overall: 16

New EPA City: 13

New EPA Hwy: 17

New EPA overall: 14

CR City: 9

CR Hwy: 20

CR Overall: 13

2006 Honda Civic **Seats four comfortably... I own one and I'm 6'3" tall and weigh around 250lbs and it's still comfortable.

Engine: 1.8L 4-cyl. Transmission: Automatic

Old EPA City: 30

Old EPA Hwy: 40

Old EPA overall: 34

New EPA city: 26

New EPA Hwy: 36

New EPA overall: 30

CR City: 18

CR Hwy: 43

CR Overall: 28

So according to the EPA and CR, the Civic would at minimum cut your monthly fuel costs in half! It's not even a hybrid/electric car.

Interesting fact: Statistics Canada pegs the number of Canadians that have ever/will ever take their SUVs off paved roads at under 13% of SUV owners! And, of those 13% of off-road going SUV owners, they are only going off of paved roads 2-4% of the time.

And if anybody wants to have a SUV or a hummer just because they enjoy them or for style reasons then they have every right to drive them.

And others have the same rights to criticize them for driving them! The free market and gas prices will kill the "glamour SUV".

Check the news on Hummer these days! GM has stopped all work on the next generation H3, cancelled the H2 redesign, scrapped the H4 entirely, and they have hired Citibank to facilitate the sale of the brand.

http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/6255364/whats-new/next-gen-h3-cancelled-h4-shelved/index.html ://http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/625536...ved/index.html

U.S. auto sales dropped 8.5 percent in the first five months of 2008, led by the slump in demand for large pickups. Toyota's U.S. truck sales fell 7.3 percent in the same period! I wouldn't want to by working in a truck plant these days!

Like I said, it is up to you to educate yourself.

Here's something to think about... would you rather spend two hours in your closed garage with an electric car running or a gas car running?

I thought so!

People that cry about economics and how we're all being manipulated, and "the environmental lobby is all big business" need to take a look around! Everything is big business and about making money!

"Those damned environmentalists! They are just trying to manipulate us! They are just in it to make money! Those sweet oil companies are really into making fuel because they care about us! They really want to give it away! It's really the government taxes on fuel that are so high!... Oh...wait... I guess they are all into making money!"

Heard of solar? How about wind power? Sure, they all have some negatives, but relative to fossil fuels, they are minimal!

How often do you haul 2 kids, 2 dogs, a trailer or whatever else? 2%-5% of the time, maybe?! Keep a log of the time you drive solo/with one passenger, towing nothing (to work, to the mall, to the ball game, etc...) and you'll be amazed! You do have the money to put a second car in your driveway... you're just burning it in your Suburban's tank every month. I'd love to know what you spend in gas every month on that Suburban?!

The gas money you'd save in driving a small car for the remaining 90% of your travels would probably get close to paying for the small car's monthly payments! You could keep your Suburban and buy a Civic, Elantra or other cheap small car!

Here's a fuel comparison of an Avalanche vs a Civic with old and new MPG measurements for city/highway/overall driving. Also includes Consumer Reports real world driving tests. EPA tests on a dyno with no wind/hills/cornering. CR measures in the field, driving the cars.

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche (available 4wd)

** Your Suburban is at least 1500 lbs heavier than this Avalanche according to Chevy!**

Engine: 5.3L V8 Transmission: Automatic

Old EPA City: 14

Old EPA Hwy: 18

Old EPA overall: 16

New EPA City: 13

New EPA Hwy: 17

New EPA overall: 14

CR City: 9

CR Hwy: 20

CR Overall: 13

2006 Honda Civic **Seats four comfortably... I own one and I'm 6'3" tall and weigh around 250lbs and it's still comfortable.

Engine: 1.8L 4-cyl. Transmission: Automatic

Old EPA City: 30

Old EPA Hwy: 40

Old EPA overall: 34

New EPA city: 26

New EPA Hwy: 36

New EPA overall: 30

CR City: 18

CR Hwy: 43

CR Overall: 28

So according to the EPA and CR, the Civic would at minimum cut your monthly fuel costs in half! It's not even a hybrid/electric car.

Interesting fact: Statistics Canada pegs the number of Canadians that have ever/will ever take their SUVs off paved roads at under 13% of SUV owners! And, of those 13% of off-road going SUV owners, they are only going off of paved roads 2-4% of the time.

And others have the same rights to criticize them for driving them! The free market and gas prices will kill the "glamour SUV".

Check the news on Hummer these days! GM has stopped all work on the next generation H3, cancelled the H2 redesign, scrapped the H4 entirely, and they have hired Citibank to facilitate the sale of the brand.

http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/6255364/whats-new/next-gen-h3-cancelled-h4-shelved/index.html ://http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/625536...ved/index.html ://http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/625536...ved/index.html

U.S. auto sales dropped 8.5 percent in the first five months of 2008, led by the slump in demand for large pickups. Toyota's U.S. truck sales fell 7.3 percent in the same period! I wouldn't want to by working in a truck plant these days!

- I use about 40 dollars a month on gas for the suburban

- My kids and dogs are with me 99% of the time

- I am towing something 80% of the time

- If gas is $4 a liter I will still be driving my suburban

As for wanting to criticize the people that want to drive SUV's that just childish. If you have the money to drive what you like go for it (Including a hummer ;) ).

The last thing I would want to do is get rid of something I enjoy because of a little extra money being spent.

- I use about 40 dollars a month on gas for the suburban

- My kids and dogs are with me 99% of the time

- I am towing something 80% of the time

- If gas is $4 a liter I will still be driving my suburban

As for wanting to criticize the people that want to drive SUV's that just childish. If you have the money to drive what you like go for it (Including a hummer ;) ).

The last thing I would want to do is get rid of something I enjoy because of a little extra money being spent.

Yeah if i have too much spare money, I can buy a barrel of gas and just burn it in my backyard too... it's my money and my place yeah?!.

You're just missing the point...

$40 of gas a month for a suburban... So you only drive it for ~200km a month I guess?

Edited by oncogene

I can :thumbsup_anim:

Two kids..........boat..........170lbs mastiff...............and offroad club!

Works great for my needs!

If you have enough for a real Hummer you have enough money to by an economical car when you haul the kids and dog around. No need to drive it for needs other than the off-road club.

An offroad club....its kind of a luxury (just about all hte toys we have are).......I guess one could also justify driving an Abrhams tank to work because they like blowing up sutff.

forrest

Why isn't anyone jumping all over the guys who run big boats? They use considerably more fuel than my 14 foot tinnie. And let's face it, a lot of those guys with big boats - don't need the big boat. Outboards and inboards pollute the air AND water. Do you criticize a guy for running a 22 foot boat?

Why isn't anyone jumping all over the guys who run big boats? They use considerably more fuel than my 14 foot tinnie. And let's face it, a lot of those guys with big boats - don't need the big boat. Outboards and inboards pollute the air AND water. Do you criticize a guy for running a 22 foot boat?

A ban on all motors? I could deal with that......old tyme styles paddle power? How would the old guys get around?

Yeah if i have too much spare money, I can buy a barrel of gas and just burn it in my backyard too... it's my money and my place yeah?!.

You're just missing the point...

$40 of gas a month for a suburban... So you only drive it for ~200km a month I guess?

I don't think I am the one missing the point here! I see you can figure out how much I drive it. That's a good start, now go back and get my point.

bigred1.gif

I think some people are just getting a little too peed off that they have to pay a little more at the pumps and want someone to yell at!

I think some people are just getting a little too peed off that they have to pay a little more at the pumps and want someone to yell at!

I'm not and I have not heard too many complaints about the price of gas. I think the gist of this thread is one of conservation.

forrest