Firefox 3 now available! (NF)

bigfish1965

Wow! I hadn't bothered with it since I tried it on an old XP machine a few years back. This version makes Explorer look like the proverbial turtle. I've got it loaded now on my new Vista machine and I'm impressed, very impressed.

Thanks Rick

JF

Not being a computer geek :whistling: Can it be explained to me why this is better than the current IE that is on my machine?

If I install or download this new version, what will it do to my current applications etc.

Thanks

John

Not being a computer geek :whistling: Can it be explained to me why this is better than the current IE that is on my machine?

If I install or download this new version, what will it do to my current applications etc.

Thanks

John

I'm not a geek either but I can tell you that my machine now runs like it's got a rocket up it's butt (on the internet), at least compared to the way it ran outa the box on IE. I'm impressed, seriously. It doesn't change your other apps like IE. You can choose whether you want it to be the default browser. Try it. I'll bet you'll like it too. This machine is only a few months old with pretty good RAM etc and is running on Vista. I even screwed up and activated the Norton freeby that came with it and this browser doesn't seem to be slowed down by it. IE sure was boggy.

I've used Firefox before, several machines, but never experienced the results this one gives.

JF

Edited by JohnF

Just to add with Firefox you will have a lot less trouble with viruses etc. than you will with IE. Try Firefox and Thunderbird, both are from Mozilla. I switched on Ricks recommendation 3 or 4 years ago and could not imagine using IE any more.

Thanks

John

Hey John, there are so many reasons why it is a lot better then IE. the Pop up blocker is much better, the anti phishing is more thorough, literally thousands of add-ons that let you customize the look and feel of it. Once Ver 3.0+ comes out you will see a lot more extensions come about. Tabbed browsing is a lot easier and more customizable, and it doesnt have the errors that IE does (it doenst crash consistently)

Try the add-on's go FireFox Add-ons

You will definitely like it, just give it a chance, you will not want to go back to IE once you start using it.

I hope this helps

Version 3 is nice and fast.

Only problem I have is that all but one of my add-on's are not compatible with version 3.0.

Don't know if I am going to keep 3 or go back to 2.

Tom

Version 3 is nice and fast.

Only problem I have is that all but one of my add-on's are not compatible with version 3.0.

Don't know if I am going to keep 3 or go back to 2.

Tom

Hey Tom, about 98% of Add-ons are compatible. You probably just need to go to the developers website.

What add on is it? I know this was the case for Minimize to tray.

Wow I am ever in the minority here. I tried all the FF's before and they all quite frankly weren't any good. Sure they had lots of bells and whistles but I like my IE 6.0 it is fast stable and I never have any hassles or viruses. The earlier FF's were slow and ungainly to me.... But then again I spent a lot of time setting IE up to do what I want and haven't made the mistake of going up to 7.0 with Xp because it is just a nightmare, because it was really designed to work with vista.