1 boated, 1 missed, 1 followed

lew

Muskies often become very active in that transition period as the sun breaks the horizon in the morning and again as it sets below the horizon in the evening, so yesterday morning I wanted to be casting to a favorite spot at the precise moment the sun rose.

The wind was blowing fairly strong from the s/w so I positioned the boat downwind and let it push me to the "spot on spot" I've often had luck with very early in the morning. This particular place is no bigger than a house yet it has 2 small points that very often hold a fish.

The sun was about 1/2 exposed above the horizon and I'd only made about 10 casts as I tossed a black / chartreuse bucktail at the target and sure enuff when I got to that magic spot, there was a nice boil as the bait hit the water and then that beautiful solid hit I've been waiting for since last December.

It wasn't a big fish, maybe 40-42" but it was a nice way to start off the 2008 season and get my new Calcutta 400TE slimed and ready for another year on the water. I don't take many fish pics anymore and seldom even measure them now, so as soon as she was un-clipped she was off to swim another day.

I moved on to another favorite spot and had a follow from a mid 40's but she wouldn't commit and then I had another fish take a swipe at a figure 8 but missed it.

Muskies can be very predictable critters and it's nice when a plan is formulated and a fish is caught within 10 minutes and exactly when & where you thought it would happen. Sorta makes it all worthwhile when a plan comes together.

We had friends coming to the trailer at noon yesterday so I spent the day with them and this morning I had some firewood to stack so I never got on the water again, but the season has started off well and that's all any of us can ask for. ;)

Hopefully everyone else enjoyed the musky opener as much as I did, it was a long time coming.

Edited by lew

Hey Lew great report.

I for one look forward to yer first report,as I know that Musky are your fav,well just ahead of them icefishing perch.LOL

Glad to hear you got out and by reading yer report,sounds like a bit of a lift off from the winter blues.

TFS

Let me know when yer up for the weeks of stays. I,ll be up.

I think it'd be pretty safe to say that the fish that made it into the inside of the boat was one of Lews "trained pet" fish, prolly got released with a mouthfull of smoked Anchovy treats! ;)

Good on ya for gettin' out and makin' sure they were ok Lew!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Exellent news Bud!....... :canadian:

.....I am curious tho.....what size weight was that bucktail....or was it a bootail???

Unfortunately, Ill have to wait til nextweekend for my opener.

WTG on yer first fish of the season.....I dont need a pic from you Bud!

Great report Lew, thanks for sharing, great start to your season, may there be many more :thumbsup_anim:

I think it'd be pretty safe to say that the fish that made it into the inside of the boat was one of Lews "trained pet" fish, prolly got released with a mouthfull of smoked Anchovy treats! ;)

Good on ya for gettin' out and makin' sure they were ok Lew!!! :thumbsup_anim:

TOO FUNNY