Boo to Tim Horton's

Big Cliff

Fired is FIRED no matter how you pretty up the situation.

While it was a good move to rehire the lady in the long run will prob lose her anyway (bad karma)

Had occasion to be there done that----they sugar coat the whole issue under the old restructuring, your position is no longer necessary and unfortunately we dont have another position for you.

Goodbye and good luck in your next endeavor.

Very true.

That is how they will handle it.

They will watch you like a hawk, and find anything at all, to justify getting rid of you. It is a losing game. You have to kiss a**, worship the boss, or you are certainly on your way out. Very political. Every man/woman for his/herself.

It's REAL simple..........

If it ain't yours to give away......dont give it away !

How would everyone feel if each Bank Teller gave away $.16 of your account balance every day?

It's only $.16 right? Who's gonna mind ?

Meely

On related news:

TH shares plummeted Thursday to 25 years low ($ 0.15, just coincidence that it is a price of timbit) after TH coffee addict threatened to stop drinking watered down kind of coffee- like liquid, and start picketing “drive through” lines. To avoid total disaster TH headquarter, in desperation, promised to make coffee two, no three times stronger, and increase timbit size to match diameter of the softball. All North American media waiting for future development of this story. Canada’s national newspaper G&M had to hire few more blog moderators to deal with overwhelming numbers of comments (close to 800 in few hrs ), and I have to tell you they were not pretty. CNN and Fox forgot about Hilary and Obama, They’ve send all their reporters to London, ON to cover this breaking story.

The only funny thing here is that this “orange” level warning was caused by 11 months old toddler and his silent accomplice, very well known :devil::devil: :devil: :thumbsup_anim: to police as a Tim Bit

Lesson learned: you fired - call the media, nothing to lose.

Apart from this, nothing interesting in the news

Oh, almost forgot, gas goes up 5 c on midnight, and death toll in Myanmar can reach 100000

Well, I figured this post would generate a lot of opinions and I'm glad it did. My thought is that any single mother of four who is willing to work for the wages she could get at a place like Tim Horton's instead of sitting on her butt and collecting welfare can't be all bad and to be fired for something as simple deserved a warning at worst!

I am very pleased to say that the response I got from my email to Tim Horton's did get answered and I was satisified with the reply and the outcome. hery is a copy of that email:

Dear Clifford Bignell:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us at our Head

Office. At Tim Hortons we strive to offer all of our customers friendly

and efficient customer service, high quality products in a clean and

pleasant atmosphere.

In regards to the recent situation with the termination of a staff member

in London, Ontario...

Unfortunately the action of the manager of this location was not

appropriate, nor grounds for dismissal. With an apology from management

Ms. Lilliman has been rehired by the franchisee.

We sincerely apologize to our customers for this unfortunate incident.

Best Regards,

Susan

Operations Services

THE TDL GROUP CORP.

_____________________________________-

Did the publicity do it? I don't know but I am pleased that if nothing else, she will be given another chance!

Like a few people have commented . . . . "There's LIKELY 2 sides to this story" . . . but, it's just what the media pray for . . . . a poor downtrodden single mother VS GOLIATH (big business) and right or wrong, big business doesn't stand a chance!! But . . . . check back in a few weeks / months until this blows over and see if she's still working at Tim's? Publicly embarrass the boss? I don't like her chances of makin' retirement age, still at Timmies! Timmies must pay pretty good though . . . . a single mom supporting a family of 4 on what Timmie's pays? Hm m m m m??

Edited by Photoz

I'm thinking she gave away pretty much the only thing she could offer. A scrap of food basically. Had she worked as as a policeman (woman I guess) she could have given the kid a tour of the car, of if she was a fireman she could have shown off the firetruck, or station even. Had she been an office manager/secretary she could have let the kid play with a computer. Is it stealing still if all you give is your time? Even if that time technically belongs to someone else? See what I'm getting at? It's easy for guys with half decent jobs or middle/upper management positions to draw the line at "stealing is wrong" but they can't begin to imagine how little influence/autonomy folks in these bottom tier positions have.

To me it's just one more reason why I don't buy Tim Hortons, or any other franchise coffee. I make my own for pennies a cup. And I do this every day. I have a fancy coffee pot that makes the coffee before I wake. Costs me pennies to make a pot. I have a cup or two before work, and then I fill my thermos and take it with me. I have coffee all day for next to nothing. There's been lots of talk about the price of gas lately. You Timmy guys are paying more for coffee than you are for gas.

Bottom line. I feel sorry for the girl that got fired, and I support her. It's just too bad that Timmys has multi millions of dollars to fight her case because people would rather pay the same for one cup at Timmy's rather than 30 cups at home. Personally, I don't understand it. But I feel for the girl.

Did the publicity do it? I don't know but I am pleased that if nothing else, she will be given another chance!

No I don't think that the publicity did do it, I heard an interview with the employee and she said that she was offered a job last night at 6pm. This story didn't really break until this morning.

I think I may have been a little haste in my comment earlier.....

I think I owe a lot of you an apology. Tim Horton's should be boycotted everywhere. Do not go to Timmies!!! Everyone go to Country Style or Coffee Time but stay away from Tim's!!!

:oops:

There... now maybe I won't have to wait 15 minutes to get my Tim's.

:whistling:

So I guess you don't have a comment about Tim Horton's giving away free Timbits to our canine friends eh?

I didn't think you would.

If you haven't heard, Tim Horton's head office gave her her job back at a different location. They reprimanded her former managers and called them overzealous.

However, she says she will still look for another job because she feels nobody's going to like her because of what happened.

So I guess you don't have a comment about Tim Horton's giving away free Timbits to our canine friends eh?

I didn't think you would.

Since it was well documented here and through the news that employees were permitted to hand out day old timbits to dogs, I didn't feel it was necessary to comment further.

Listen, I never said she should have been fired for a $0.16 timbit, what I was trying to get at is that when you own a business every penny adds up. Giving away something that can no longer be sold is a lot different from giving away something that can be.

To put it another way: if you went to the bait shop and an employee gave you a few extra shiners that were floating on the top, it would be different than giving you a few extra live ones that could/would have been purchased from someone else.

Tim Hortons will not give any details about this story so it's not easy to make a judgement when hearing only one side. Having worked in the hospitality profession as a manager I know that sometimes there is a need to get rid of an employee whether it be theft, attitude, or just plain work ethic. When you have clear evidence of a violation, no matter how trivial, you jump on the chance to fire the employee even though what you have as evidence is minor in comparison to what is not documented.

Now, let's go fishing!