Ever Dream About it?

little angler

Not anymore, but I can remember that feeling.

I have a vivid childhood memory, I was maybe 8 years old and already obsessed with fishing.

It was the night before the trout opener, and back then that was a bigger deal to me than Christmas.

I remember being so excited I was almost hyperventilating :) .

Went to bed fully dressed so I'd be ready to go in the morning. Not just all my clothes, but my Canadian Tire rubber hip waders, fishing vest, wicker creel and hat as well :D .

Laid on the bed like that staring at the ceiling just dying with anticipation.

I tend to get a bit blase these days, but every once in awhile it's possible to recapture that feeling, usually through the eyes of a youngster.

I'm looking forward to my kids getting a bit older and being able to experience everything new again through them...

I have those fishing dreams starting usually in January and they just get more intense as opening day approaches. The only problem seems to be that I have to wake up and I can never remember if I got that big one I had on the line

Was talking about this the other day with a buddy......im in my 30's now, but remember the days that Solo Paddler mentioned quite vividly. The most exciting times were our week long spring trip with Dad, grandad, and the uncles. Getting out of school on friday and sometimes taking friday off of school, getting all my stuff ready, the sleepless night before...... "waking up" at 4am, getting out to the already packed car with the boat hitched up, dad sippin his coffee in the fog on teh front porch waiting for grandad and the uncles to arrive....one by one they would pull up, and it was like a party in teh driveway already before the sun was even up. Me and my brother and my cousin naggin the older guys to just get in teh car already and lets go lol. Of course i would have a pillow and snooze for the begninnin of the road trip thru the boring local roads.........but id awake soon to daylight and unfamiliar surroundings. We were usualy way up north, so waking up to someone jabbing you in the side screaming, MOOOOSE MOOOOSE!!! Was like many said, christmas morning. Man i get teary eyed just thinkin back on those younger days. All the older guys around ya just knew everything in your eyes........when you arrived at camp it was like a new home and it felt like you were going to be there all summer even if was only a week long trip. (those week long trips seem to go by like hours now) But man, just opening the door to your cabin and pickin your bed, takin a walk down to the lake while the guys did all the work, launching the boat , gettin lunch goin. Just a blast. Loved the smell of the outboard firing up in the morning, the pound of the waves on the tinny and holding onto the minnow bucket to make sure it didnt tip........the other guys cruising next to you in the other boats on the way to the hotspot, nobody on teh lake but you and your group. And finally getting to "the rock" (our honey hole) and shutting off the motor........dead silence except for nature, I could go on for hours with the memories, but point being........ya just dont get that anymore the way you did as a kid.........i mean i get fired up still these days, and i love all that goes with it .....even just getting up for a day of steelheading............but there just isnt that feeling ya used to get as a child. Once in a while ill capture it for a second when looking back on it, or sitting out on the boat and reminiscing, walking out on the cabin porch first thing in the morning...... like literally get that "feeling" from a smell or something that triggers you right back there, but it lasts for a second and its gone. But man i wish i could just harness it and hold onto it. If i could go back i wouldnt change a thing............i just wish i could go back

Not anymore now that I am insomniac, if I can't sleep I just drive on up earlier than anticipated and get the spot.... This ticks off my buds though who always say I would have went with you if I had of known what time you were going.... I tell them I didn't know if I was going or what time till I left. Now that gas is so expensive though I am going to have set up a time and wait till then to go since so many friends have families who don't grasp the importance of that 2AM call to leave early instead of their family member getting up quietly and sneaking out at 4:30AM...

After a day on the water though I do dream about the fish I miss or just the watching of a float going under or rod tip doing that magic tap atap tap with a rainbow on the other end.... I usually wake up and can't remember if I set the hook or it got away.