1st Spring Steelhead Caught In My Life/Rod Recommendation

young_one

I’ve been trying to fish for these beauties for the past 2 years, in the past, either wrong technique or miss the season. Sunday I broke the goose egg, and now IM HOOKED! Can’t wait till the opener.

n505661706_775814_4853.jpg

Went to a popular creek on Sunday. Around 9am with my last roe, I caught this beautiful spawning female. I can’t express how excited I was, this is my FIRST EVER Steelhead caught using the drift float technique. :worthy:

n505661706_775815_6120.jpg

With the upcoming opener, I need to buy a new fishing rod.

- long float fishing rod, preferably longer than 10 feet.

- combo with a spinning reel

- budget less than $120

- so far, I’ve only 2 options (Berkley Xseries 10’0 Med.Spin) (Fenwick HMX 10’6 Xtra Light)

- your suggestions are highly valued! :thumbsup_anim:

n505661706_775816_7331.jpg

Thanks, your my first ;)

n505661706_775817_2530.jpg

Beauty fish! You never forget about your first steelie.

As for the rod, I think Raven makes one called the Matrix. It's 12'6" or so and I think it retails for around $120 or $130 before tax. I've only played around with it in the store. It's slightly heavier in weight than most float rods on the market but I imagine it would handle steelhead of any size in this province...It probably would survive nicely against trees and shrubs which newbies tend to walk into with rods over 10' (first hand experience :whistling: ) I think I saw someone selling their 13'6" Okuma for around $60 at one time in the Classifieds. Those are just a couple more options to add to your list.

Congrats on your first! It's great to finally land one isn't it?

As far as gear is concerned, I use a 12'6" Shimano Convergence on the creeks....that'll run you around 100 I think. What's wrong with the one in that pic?

Good luck and happy fishing.

SWEET dude! Congrats on your first taste of steel! I'm still new to the steelheading game myself. I've only got a Shimano Stimula 10'6" paired up with an Abu Cardinal 104 and for the amount of steelheading I do it's good enough for me. I'm sure you'll get some great advice for the more serious steelheaders on the board.

Cheers,

UF

Beauty fish, now your hooked for life!

We will see you wandering the creeks all winter long, when your not in school or chasing the girls. LOL

As for the rod, it is really a personal choice. Cavilier makes some inexpensive float rods (under $100.00)

I have used fenwicks in the past and they make some nice rods. Might wanna start with something around 10' first as it is easy to break the long rods right away. You have lots of time ahead to get into a 12' + rod.

Again beauty fish. Look forward to seeing many more reports. ( nice job on the realese too)

Edited by 4Reel

Congratulations Young One, that is a very nice first!!

I have the Matrix that MJL mentioned. (Matrix MXG - 12' 6" 2 piece, med - light, 4 - 10 lb, 1/8 - 3/8 oz), picked it up last spring for about $100 no tax and paired it with the Pflueger Trion GX-7 Spinning Reel. So far, I am pleased with it. I can choose the reel position, use it with either a spinning reel or a centerpin and it definitely handles large fish just fine.....landed a 25lb carp on it last year lol

Something to keep in mind when choosing a long rod.....2 piece vs 3 piece......how are you transporting it. 12'6 2 piece...no problem in the suv but it was a bit tricky in the old 2 door corolla.

4reel makes a good point regarding breakage......be sure to get one that has at least a 1 year no questions asked warranty.

Congrats again! Happy shopping!

UH OH!!! THERES SOME DIRT ON THAT FISH!!! LOL im just joking......may there be many more to come....might I suggest buying a St. Croix....great reliable rods and perfect for steelies...many guys im sure will beg to differ but it's all about what you like and not what the guy at the tackle shop tells you will like....or me for that matter...good luck and hope to see you on the water someday...

Till then,

Hawk

What's wrong with the one in that pic?

The rod in the picture is a telescopic 14ft rod from China, its designed for still fishing for carp. While practicing drift with Sucker yesterday, I broke the tip accidentally. Just like everyone said about what to watch out for. :wallbash:

The good: Long rod, Im allowed to use smaller lb test, and I can just “pitch” my float on each drifts, save the energy. (know what I’m talking about? Don’t know the proper term)

Bad: telescopic rod is difficult to keep all the guides straight, especially with long rods. The guides are tiny, a lot of resistance when casting. It also had a terrible reel seat, my reel actully fell off when I was catching a lot of Suckers.

Haha the 'dirt talk'!

Its actully not dirt, beacuse this fish was spawning, and eggs were squirting when I was taking the quick photo. Its actully scars from spawning.

Are all the spawning fish beatup like this? or am I just lucky.