Cabela's order

kickingfrog

Shipping costs has come up before so I'd thought I'd post about Cabelas. I just ordered some essentials (I have to use the term essentials in case my wife reads this) from Cabela's. The base order was $57.00 US, $3.50 handling, $10.95 shipping and $8.68 tax, for a total of$80.13US. The shipping fee is based on the dollar value, unless it is an awkward or heavy item(s). The fees might be a bit high, but these were items I was not able to find locally and 16 odd dollars in fees (the taxes are almost a wash) is less than the gas I would have used to get to a more complete tackle place. I'll let you know how long it takes to get to my door. Now where is that darn Mailman????

UPDATE:

I ordered online Sunday April 5 and received my order on Thursday April 17. Location: Barrie, Ontario. All items received. No other fees applied. This is the first time I've ordered form Cabela's, and it won't be the last, but I'll still be buying locally as well at LeBarons and BPS.

Edited by kickingfrog

I order TOO much stuff from Cabela's but the shipping has always been fast. On big ticket orders like my recent purchase of a new trolling motor I ordered on a Sunday night via Internet and UPS dropped off the motor on Tuesday. I thought that was a fluke but then I ordered a new Lowrance LMS 520 unit and again 2 days later UPS dropped it off. Now Friday I ordered a bunch of small stuff and I am expecting it by this Friday, no hurry though.

You mention paying tax. The reason I ask about that is here in NY State we have no Cabela's so when I order from them it's considered a out of state purchase and NO tax is added to the order. That's why I order from them instead of Bass Pro Shops. We have BPS about a 100 miles from me, too far to go for stuff and if I mail order I will have to pay shipping and tax which is against my religion.

BTW on my trolling motor and LMS 520c unit shipping was FREE (my favorite word). Do you have their credit card. I get about $200-300 worth of free stuff because of it yearly. Also do you get their coupon codes taking off like $25 if you spend $200 or $20 off if you spend $150. I use both codes and got $45 off my LMS unit plus the free shipping and no tax I saved $101.79 if I would of purchased it locally here from Gander Mountain.

Recently spent an entire day shopping online at Cabelas, then catalogue shopping at LeB's and the FishingHole. You're right, they have some things I can't find elsewhere and I haven't ordered with them in about 5 years... so this one was a biggy. Same with LeB's. FishinHole lost out this time, they're usually more expensive anyway.

With both places sending me goods I can't dang' wait for the mail to hit the trucks, then the train, then the helicopter, then my skidoo to get to my house. lol.

Never complain about shipping down south. lol.

I order TOO much stuff from Cabela's but the shipping has always been fast. On big ticket orders like my recent purchase of a new trolling motor I ordered on a Sunday night via Internet and UPS dropped off the motor on Tuesday. I thought that was a fluke but then I ordered a new Lowrance LMS 520 unit and again 2 days later UPS dropped it off. Now Friday I ordered a bunch of small stuff and I am expecting it by this Friday, no hurry though.

You mention paying tax. The reason I ask about that is here in NY State we have no Cabela's so when I order from them it's considered a out of state purchase and NO tax is added to the order. That's why I order from them instead of Bass Pro Shops. We have BPS about a 100 miles from me, too far to go for stuff and if I mail order I will have to pay shipping and tax which is against my religion.

BTW on my trolling motor and LMS 520c unit shipping was FREE (my favorite word). Do you have their credit card. I get about $200-300 worth of free stuff because of it yearly. Also do you get their coupon codes taking off like $25 if you spend $200 or $20 off if you spend $150. I use both codes and got $45 off my LMS unit plus the free shipping and no tax I saved $101.79 if I would of purchased it locally here from Gander Mountain.

Ya the Cabela's club offer is only good for the US, I should have mentioned that I'm in central Ontario. Our combined sales tax in Ontario is 14% right now (I think). Not sure what tax is was charged, state or federal???? Like I said, the tax was close to what I would have paid here, if I could find the stuff.

Does anyone know if there is a store that is not in Ontario but is in Canada that will carry a lot of the stuff we are looking for?

The reason I ask is that for my computer needs I order from NCIX, they're only in B.C., I don't have to pay for PST and I don't have to worry about custom fees. Shipping is reasonable and sometimes free.

Wouldn't this be a blessing for those us that order from the US!

Ya the Cabela's club offer is only good for the US, I should have mentioned that I'm in central Ontario. Our combined sales tax in Ontario is 14% right now (I think). Not sure what tax is was charged, state or federal???? Like I said, the tax was close to what I would have paid here, if I could find the stuff.

kicker....actually our combined tax is 13%. What I find with Cabela's and I have bought from there many times , is they ship by UPS and they hit you hard at the door. The cost is absorbent, makes up for what we would save, so I stopped buying there. I buy knives for my collection and through USPS I never get dinged, but through UPS I get dinged every time.So I will not buy where they ship with UPS anymore.

Also word was out a while back that Cabela's was going to build in the Kitchener area so they would do business between Windsor and Toronto. Don't know what happened to that .

I am surprised Cabela's doesn't have a store in Ontario like Bass Pro Shops does. Can't you guys get most of your stuff from BPS ? ? ?

Cabela's does not have a store in Ontario, or in Canada for that matter. I can/ do get most of my stuff from BPS and Lebarons, but it requires 2 hours driving, plus traffic. Gas is about $1.10/ litre, I get about 6.8 litres/ 100km for my car 180 km round trip and a dollar right about par with the green back. Makes internet shopping more and more appealing. I made my order with watching 2 hockey games and trash talkin' my friends in our hockey pool.

Now if the mail would just get here already....

Picked this up using the search function...

I just placed an order through cabela's for a waterproof stereo enclosure and antenna... as they had both in stock where BPS did not..

I too paid taxes, duty and brokerage

So I have to ask.. will UPS hit me again in fees when I have already paid them to Cabelas??

If so I will cancel my order....

Thanks in advance

G

Nope everything is included, was for me anyways. Kinda ticked me off though UPS just left it on the front porch, dang don't they know it's Oshawa.

anytime UPS has delivered something and i havent been home, they leave it on the porch.. rediculous.. i'd rather just have them call me when its in, and i'll go pick it up at their warehouse..

I love ordering from Cabelas

the only problem I had was with a return..you send it to a Canadian address, they get it and I think throw it in the corner for four or five weeks before they call cabelas and tell them to reimburse your credit card account..just takes too long

but they are still better then BPS once they switched to sending everything by UPS and them acting as brokers....

I love ordering from Cabelas

the only problem I had was with a return..you send it to a Canadian address, they get it and I think throw it in the corner for four or five weeks before they call cabelas and tell them to reimburse your credit card account..just takes too long

but they are still better then BPS once they switched to sending everything by UPS and them acting as brokers....

With gas prices being what they are, for me shopping online is the only way to go.

I love Cabelas, by far the best :) .

As far as returns go, yeah the stuff goes to Windsor I think, but when I've needed the exchange pronto Cabelas has always called the Canadian depot for me, confirmed the presence of my returned item, and expedited the shipping of my new item.

Never a long turnaround at all. You do have to call customer service and explain the situation though..

I contacted them every week and they were tired of telling me that until the place I sent it too confirms the return of the product there was nothing they could do......I still use them..

To: xxxxxscape.net

Sent: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 2:21 pm

Subject: [incident: 08xx0-0xxxx]

Hello Terry,

Thank you for your correspondence.

I'm sorry, but your return hasn't been processed yet. The turn around time on returns/exchanges is approximately 4-5 weeks from the time you sent it back.

The packages get sorted and processed as they come in. Once Returns gets to your package and processes the request they will then update the records so we are able to tell you more details. Please allow the designated amount of time for this to happen. Feel free to check back in either via email or chat as the time approaches.

If you need further assistance please feel free to contact us.

Have a great day.

Melanie

took six weeks now that I checked my emails

Edited by Terry

I picked up my new rod and reel in Minnesota today. The half hour drive saved me $50.00 in shipping costs, but I had to pay $8.00 GST at the border. I'm always a little leary about buying rods and reels without holding them in my hand and getting a feel for them. But with Cabelas, there's no problem returning anything if you don't like it. But man. I love everything about my purchase. I bought an 8 1/2 foot light action spinning rod (Cabelas Fish Eagle II) and a Cabelas Prodigy (Diawa) spinning reel. They balance out perfectly and I can't wait to catch my first Brookie on it.

Well I gave Cabela's a call as my order is still showing as pending... they said orders to Canada take 14-21 days! is this normal for Cabelas? Wish I would have known that earlier, but their website does not give time frames for Canadian Orders....

G

It's really not up to Cabela's on how long it takes to get across the border. Who are they using for shipping? UPS? USPS? FedEX?

If they shipped it via USPS Expedited, it would be here quick and with minimal border fees.