Greencoachdog

a bit cranky tonight dawg? I assume your complaining about the images being created for the OFC tourney?

but since we are talking semantics.. perhaps we should also look at the fancy ways people get around the bad word sensors I suppose...

G

how do you figure? I used acronyms.. perhaps you read to much into them??

Here is where they came from http://www.ucandoit.org.uk/knowledgebase/webacronyms.html incase your interested.. and I did erase them because I added an image to my signature.. with happens to be alot less the 100kb in size.

G

Edited by Gerritt

I have no hostility at all Wayne :) Zero infact...Glen is a good guy... Just not sure where this is coming from and I am trying to figure it out..

G

Where is a Steelheader when you need one LOL!

Edited by Gerritt

Having a large signature is inconsiderate, so forums make rules against them:

a) I have seen some elsewhere that are so obnoxiously large it makes a page unpleasant to read

aa) dial-up guys potentially have to turn-off all graphics to get a single thread to load.

100K takes 30 seconds to download for dial-up connection. Anyone on dial-up?

forrest

Edited by forrest

i just removed my signature, just in case it was what you were referring to in terms of the "language" portion of your post... it wasn't my intention to offend anyone... it was simply just a quote from a tv show...

i'll find something that is more appropriate.

do you use firefox? well you should.

get a plug-in called adblock plus for it. if you get tired of seeing a signature picture, right click on it and you'll have an option for "adblock image".

there's probably an option in your user cp here to disable signature too.

I've only seen a couple big ones. I try to compress my images as much as possible without loosing quality.

Another tip is to try Opera, you have a small icon that you can click to prevent all images from loading. You can turn it on/off anytime with ease. You can also set it to just view cached images.

I know what you are saying Dawg...

500x75 = 37500 total pixels

200x161= 32200 Total pixels.

The idea about setting a size restriction on banners, is to reduce their size for dialup users.... The banners are smaller in total pixel counts and 1/10 of the size of the 100kb rule...

Sure the banner is square instead of a rectangle.. but would you prefer a rectangle @ 99.9kb? or a square @ 7kb

There is also a lowfi version of this site available for those on ultra slow dialup

Glen... perhaps we should move this into PM?

But I fail to see how this is a bad thing.... The signatures are smaller so it is beneficial to the "less fortunates" infact they are smaller in KB's then the banner ads @ the top of the page making it beneficial to the dial up users.

If you would like to discuss further I will be glad to do it in PM... this will be my last post on this thread as I can see where this is heading.

G

For the time being, the rules are: "One image in a signature is allowed. Images in signatures must not be greater than 500 pixels wide and 75 pixels in height. Signature images must not be more than 100K in file size.

Signatures must also conform to language and content guidelines."

The height and width dimensions are not interchangable. It has nothing to do with file size. More to do with esthetics.

Please try to conform to this simple rule. It's not a big deal but it would make it so much easier for everyone in the community.

Thanks.

The rules are there for a reason.. so the page doesnt get too long, Id appreciate if everyone could follow the rules...

ALSO... if ya didn't realize, in your control panel, there is an option to turn off everyones signatures, so you don't have to see them.

Go to "MY Controls" at the top of this screen...

Once in, go to "Options" and then on the bottom left: board settings

Theres an option you can select called:

Do you wish to view members signatures when reading topics?

You can set it to no... you can turn all the avatars off here as well.

For those on Dialup this is a good way to help minimize dowload time.