Qick question - should have asked the CO's and Forgot

Casey123

LAst Sunday on our way home, someone had hit a deer. I understand accidents happen...BUT

This YOYO, didn't kill the deer, just parylised it, she was struggling on the side of the road, I still have the image in my mind.

From the looks of it they did a lot of damage to their car as well.

They didn't stck around BUT rather left some others to deal with the injured deer and to clean the car parts off the road...

Could they have been charged for doing so?

After we stopped to see the situation was under control, the people had already called the OPP and he showed up to dispatch of the deer.

I am not a bleeding heart, and I have 0 agianst ethical/legal harvesting of any animal. I also realize that accidents happen but what you do after such a thing is important too....

Nothing deserves to suffer like that.

Don't quote me on this, but, where I worked before we had a rule that was "blessed" by the local MNR, when asked if it was prudent to euthanize the animal for fear of it possibly causing more damage by struggling to go back on the road, you used whatever reasonable means are available to prevent it and dispatch the animal without undue suffering.

Could they have been charged for doing so?

Yes the driver could be charged with failing to remain at the scene, and if the damage was over $1000 and he didn't report the collision to the police, failing to report. As for any charges relating to leaving the animal there to suffer, I'm not too sure!

My wife hit a deer a few years ago,but it got up and ran off.

I phoned the OPP next day [ for insurance purposes ], and was told she could have been charged for "leaving the scene". he let her off though1

"Leaving the scene"??

Does that suggest that everyone who wacks a sparrow, raccoon, squirrel or groundhog out on the road needs to stop and call in the OPP before moving on?

That's completely absurd.

PS. Don't get me wrong, I don't think its very nice to drive off and let an animal suffer, but still.

"Leaving the scene"??

Does that suggest that everyone who wacks a sparrow, raccoon, squirrel or groundhog out on the road needs to stop and call in the OPP before moving on?

PS. Don't get me wrong, I don't think its very nice to drive off and let an animal suffer, but still.

No but if its a reportable collision you do! ie if someone is injured or the damage is over $1000.

Yeah Yeah, I wasn't looking to see someone arrested. I was pretty disgusted that someone would leave an animal to die like that without evening making the effort to call the OPP or local Animal Control.

As far as the other goes, accidents happen, it would be foolish to suggest they don't.

It is not always what happens in life that counts, it is how we react. Who knows, maybe the driver was drunk or didn't have insurance etc.

It was nice that the people across the road took it upon themselves to call the OPP and take care of the situation.

"Leaving the scene"??

And for the record I have hit my share of animals by accident on my travels, once I had to go back and re-hit a rabbit that I had hit. It isn't the same feeling of sucess you get from a good hunt, it really kinda sucks killing an animal in that manor.

Edited by 4Reel

unless the deer/moose is really injured to where it's barely moving, you shouldn't approach one of these animals when they're down, if they get scared and start to thrash you can get seriously hurt, (i've seen it happen)they can kick pretty good and those hooves can make some major damage, call the police and let them dispatch it,

i know it may seem inhumane but safety first, deer have excellent hearing and can hear u creeping up to it so don't try and sneak up, walk up to it so it sees you and if it starts thrashing, walk away,

this isn't gospel, as every case is different, but trust me, it can turn bad quickly and end up with an ambulance ride

we were behind one on manitoulin, the deer wasn't even moving anymore and there was an insane amount of blood everywhere, everyone thought it was dead, a LARGE gentleman approached it with an axe, when he approached it it started to thrash so he had to lean in pretty close to get a GOOD hit at a moving head and caught a hoof in the neck, i can still picture it, not pretty, the deer died a few minutes later

Yes the driver could be charged with failing to remain at the scene, and if the damage was over $1000 and he didn't report the collision to the police, failing to report.

My mother's Aveo has smucked 2 deer in the last 3 years. One in 2005, one 2 months ago.

2005 was over $5k in damage. Bambi died instantly. She called it in on her cell, and OPP arrived on the scene promptly.

2 months ago was about $2k in minor cosmetic stuff. Bambi scarcely noticed, and fled the scene. When Mom called the OPP, they told her to drive 35 miles to see someone at the detachment.

To anyone watching from a distance, it would've looked like Mom was leaving the scene of an accident. Not saying this is what happened in 4reel's case, but it's possible.

Either way, abandoning a suffering animal is inexcusable.

I hit a deer on the onramp to the 400 south from hwy 9 in 2004. The deer came from the ditch on the driver side, and although I swerved to miss it, I caught its back legs.....broke them both and threw the animal over my car (luckily for me. It was a 12 pointer) and into the ditch. The deer was hurt rather badly but I dare not get anywhere near it. I went back to it and it thrashed like crazy. I called the OPP, not because of my car (smashed hood and right fender...bout $700 damage), but out of concern for the deer......Once the officer arrived, I explained what happenend to him, and we went back to the deer. The office shot the deer right then and there (and completely scared the total crap out of a car going by us on the ramp). I think though it would have been more beneficial to the deer had the officer had a larger caliber gun.....but in that situation not much else could have been done.

Not sure how anyone could leave an animal like that......its just not fair.

Bill

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses.

I thought this was a real bung hole move, to leave an animal partially parilzed and bleeding to death without stopping or reporting. The owner of the house across the street did the right thing.

Felt bad we couldn't do anything more, but not in the habt of driving around with a shot gun in the car during steel head season.

I hit a deer on the onramp to the 400 south from hwy 9 in 2004. The deer came from the ditch on the driver side, and although I swerved to miss it, I caught its back legs.....broke them both and threw the animal over my car (luckily for me. It was a 12 pointer) and into the ditch. The deer was hurt rather badly but I dare not get anywhere near it. I went back to it and it thrashed like crazy. I called the OPP, not because of my car (smashed hood and right fender...bout $700 damage), but out of concern for the deer......Once the officer arrived, I explained what happenend to him, and we went back to the deer. The office shot the deer right then and there (and completely scared the total crap out of a car going by us on the ramp). I think though it would have been more beneficial to the deer had the officer had a larger caliber gun.....but in that situation not much else could have been done.

Not sure how anyone could leave an animal like that......its just not fair.

Bill

Pretty sure a 9 mm at close range is more than enough.

As long as the officer knew where and how to place the shot, the 9mm is more than enough.

If it was me and I saw the deer still kicking on the side of the road, I'd finish it off one way or another. I've had to do it twice already, and I've never hit a deer......with a vehicle.

Its hard to blame the people for not stopping. Maybe they did call on a cell phone. Maybe they didn't know they hit the deer.....I've seen that happen too.

Or, maybe they just didn't know better......there are lots of people who just wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do.....

You can't make assumptions in any situation......

Sinker

Your wife or the Doe.. I know I should get back to work :thumbsup_anim:

Exactly what i was thinking.... :clapping: I'd kill the deer.... and if anyone gave me a hard time about it, I would raise a ruckus.... ruckas... darn bad word filter....

wow...talk about Karma....I placed a few Gerrittesque remarks on this thread...and what did I have to do last night??????????

I had to put poor bambi down with a shotgun after she got hit by a car. Then, after I was done with that accident...bambi's friend runs out on the road from the other direction and gets hit by a car. Luckily this one ran off....

Pretty sure a 9 mm at close range is more than enough.

7 shots Rick. I told the cop I was surprised by the fact that it took 7 shots and he told me they had one the night before that took 22! :huh::o

Range was about 30 feet +-