St. Croix Legend or Shimano Cumara?

Whitemikeca

I bought a Calais DC from JB's at the sportsman show and now I am looking for new rod pair it with. I plan to use this rig as my spinnerbait and large crankbait setup. I thinking 7 foot MH. I think I have narrowed it down to two choices, the St. Croix Legend or Shimano Cumara. Both of them are light and seem like that have good backbones. Do any you guys have either of these rods and would you recommend them? Are there any other Rods in high end category that might be better? I am leaning toward the St. Croix because I love my Medium Avid and I know St. Croix has an overall better reputation when it comes to rods, but at the same time the Cumara is really slick rod. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

I have a Legend Elite but it's a jigging stick. I love it though. Is the Cumara a new rod for Shimano? I am completely biased to St.Criox though - probably have 8 of their rods and love them all.

You certainly have a nice reel so might as well pair it with a nice rod!

i have both a legend elite spinning rod and a legend elite baitcasting rod and have nothing bad to say about them. the baitcast rod is a st. croix legend elite 7 foot, med-heavy, fast action. not sure how the shimano compares in price. im guessing it is a little cheaper, however if you can afford it i would say go with the st. croix. you wont be disappointed. that being said, im sure the shimano is a great rod too, so either way you will have a pretty nice baitcast setup.

BenBeattie - The Cumara is the new top of the line Shimano series of rods. Its an IM-10 blank and I was told that its the lightest bass rod on the market at 3 oz. I was talking about the legend tournament. Do the tournament and the Elite use the same blank with just different guides, handles or it is an entirely different series of rod?

Mike - the Legend Elite is a higher end blank then the legend tournament series.

Check them out at www.stcroixrod.com

Another high end rod to consider is Kistler. They just got a canadian distributor. They are famous for their Helium series rods, which are supposed to be the lightest most sensitive rods on the market.

If it was me, I'd evaluate the warranty when spending that much money on a fishing rod. When I've had a problem with a Croix, it's always been replaced no questions asked, for the price of shipping.

I got a Cumara last year when it was introduced. 7 ft MH drop shot. This rod is amazing. I have not drop shoted with it yet, but I have used it consistantly with cinkos and tubes. Amazing feel and back bone. The first couple of times I was setting the hook when all I was doing was hiting bottom. Really sensative. After a few times I got used to it. I can recommend it for sure. Night and day between the same Compre that I have. I now have a Crucial as well to compare, but not till Sunday perchin'.

I've never used any St. Croix sticks so I can't give you any comparison, but I was in Alabama last week using a 7'2" Cumara flipping for largemouth all day and it was pretty awesome. You can feel everything on the bottom. It was paired up with a Core - what a light combo. As for casting I can't help ya dude - but the Cumara is a pretty sick rod. Which ever way you go I'm sure you'll enjoy your new combo out on the water!

Cheers,

Ryan

I have been using many of the St.Croix Legend Tournament & Avid Rods & love them all. I bought a

Cumara medium action 6ft 8in Rod in North Carolina a few weeks ago after a Bass Tourny, I can't wait to test the waters.

I'm sure it will be a super rod as well. I use Shimano Curado baitcasters along with Stradic & Sahara Reels

on them.

The gap is closing quickly as to who makes the better rod & reel.

St.Croix has a nice fast tip on their rod which I like.

You can't go wrong with either one.

Good Luck

Dave