How to grab a pike

mikeymikey

It's probable somewhere up in the NWT or nunavut. Looks like an inuit child. I've spend many summers up there, biggest pike i got was 33lbs. Best pike fishing in the world up there as far as im concerned. Spent an afternoon fishing them with big 5" spoons. Caught them every second cast and the smallest all afternoon was 13lbs. And Roy, I wouldnt worry about them starving up there or that being the best meal in months. They go out and shoot 100 caribou in an afternoon like it's nothing. But pretty nice people up there, except the guy who got his arse kicked by his wife haha, shoulda seen that guy...wow

Great pic.....its really weird!

I used to hear stories of Pike being handled by the eyes... Mainly from old timers...

G

Yep, thats how people used to hold them. My 30 year old (as lost) fishing book says that holding the pike by the eyes is the correct way to handle them.

However, recent wisdom says that that is the wrong way to go about it. http://www.northernpikefishing.ca/pike-tips.htm

How To Hold A Pike

If you hold a northern pike or walleye up by it's eye sockets like they use to do in the old days, you squeeze their optic nerves into their brain and they die a slow death.

forrest

Lighten up folks. This is a picture of a child holding a dead fish. I have some dead fish in my freezer. If it'll make you feel any better, I can promise you that they are packaged and frozen HORIZONTALLY. I was also very careful not to to touch their eyes as I cleaned them not to damage their optic nerves.

We have another dude on another post crying because Mercury marine is building some of its motors in China. Don't blame the Chinese, don't blame Mercury..blame yourselves. If you are not self sufficient and your children are not self sufficient, you will lose. You can't expect the company that you work for or the union who taxes you for protection to protect you against living beyond your means.

Where are we going with all of this? Can we just fish now?

Lighten up folks. This is a picture of a child holding a dead fish. I have some dead fish in my freezer. If it'll make you feel any better, I can promise you that they are packaged and frozen HORIZONTALLY. I was also very careful not to to touch their eyes as I cleaned them not to damage their optic nerves.

We have another dude on another post crying because Mercury marine is building some of its motors in China. Don't blame the Chinese, don't blame Mercury..blame yourselves. If you are not self sufficient and your children are not self sufficient, you will lose. You can't expect the company that you work for or the union who taxes you for protection to protect you against living beyond your means.

Where are we going with all of this? Can we just fish now?

Well I still think that the kid would reek for a week or so. And I'd still rather not catch a Pike than catch one. Despite the fact that I belong to a union. :whistling: