Travel / Pack rods

Lefty

Hey all

I was hoping for some feedback on this one. With the new little guy, all of a sudden the vehicle is packed a little tighter on road trips and the room that once existed to slide a rod or two is pretty much no more. I've been looking at some of the newer travel/pack rods as my thinking was it could be tucked away in a smaller space. Anyone have any recommedations as to what style is more durable the telescoping style or the 3-4 piece ones. Does anyone have any experiences with either?

Thanks

L

I'm not a fan of the telescopic rods. Maybe my opinion is a leftover of what was available 20 years ago. St Croix makes a really nice 4 piece Premier. It is not cheap but I hear good things from a friend who has both the 4 wt fly rod and the spinning rod versions. They break down to roughly 20" sections and pack in a nice compact nylon tube.

I don't know your situation but if you have room for a packed rod, why wouldn't a rod protector case work for a standard rod? It would be about a foot longer but only about 10 inches across at the pouch part where the reel goes.... If that is too much you could carry the reel in a small tackle bag/box and just have 2in or 3in pvc pipe made into a container the right length to fit a 6ft to 7ft rod.... That would fit just inside the trunk taking up no room at all hardly. I made one for my 11.5 ft rods that only cost about 15 bucks, and my buddy INSISTED on running over it with his car just to prove it was indestructable I guess and he was right it was fine and so were the rods. Something to think about....

Guest lundboy

I just picked up a Shimano Exage TEXAXS2124M. $110.00

It comes with a quality carry case which is about 2' long.

Same feel as a premium 2 piece rod, and can be configured for 6'9" for 8' using included extension.

I got it for keeping in the back of the car to fish after work when I have free time.

This rod is awesome. Much better than the ones that come in a kit/case for $50.

Edited by lundboy

These are the two that I use, both come with carrying case. One a very small compact black case (shimano exage ax stc te travel spinning rod). The other a small green tube(St Croix Tidemaster® Inshore Casting Travel Rod) both come in different lengths. I use both and they are very reliable and well balanced. They vary in price. Angling Outfitters in Woodstock carries the Shimano ones .

shimano_exage_axstc.jpg40.gif

Edited by LundGuy