Monday Night Steelhead

ccmtcanada

With the rain coming on Tuesday and Wednesday, along with temps above freezing, the tribs will be nice and blown and likely not fishable until the weekend, so we decided to head out tonight to try our luck. The waters were slightly above normal and tea stained, with about 6" of visibility.

We put our little one to bed and off we went...we drove a little further than we normally would, hoping to have some success. About 20 minutes after we arrived, bly was having some line issues, so she stopped fishing for a few minutes....and of course, my float goes down while she's taking her break. I set the hook and the fish goes crazy...for about 20 seconds, then it came in nice an easy.

cliff28inch.jpg

About 10 minutes later, bly says "Fish ON!!", and she gets a nice little guy...eater size, but was released to swim another day.

carole1.jpg

Thinking this hole was done for a while, we headed off and tried a few other locations, without any luck. Bly had to re-tie a bunch of times after snags, and I was having no luck at all. We decided to head back to our original location to see if there were more fish there. Bly had to re-tie again, and was contemplating even rigging back up again. She decided to do so and began drifting again. My float went down...missed hit! Then the tables turned...I had a break off and since we were going to leave in a few mintues, I decided not to re-tie. Well wouldn't you know it...bly has a hit...sets the hook and the fish gets off. She brought her line in...gave the pool a break for a few minutes while she put a fresh roe bag on. Sure enough, it goes down again and the fight is on. This fish was bigger than her last and went crazy! It even swam right at her like it was shot out of a gun, but she managed to keep the fish on. Here it is....

carole25inch.jpg

So, all in all, we had a great night out there. She went 2 for 3 and me 1 for 1. The only saving grace for me, even though I was outfished was that I had the biggest fish...LOL.

That's probably it now until at least the weekend...if the tribs are even fishable.

Edited by ccmt

Another great outing for the duo !

Everytime I read this I wait for someone to call Children's Aid on you.. :D

LOL...dont forget we have a 16 year old daughter who babysits (if you can call it that when the little one is in bed already)....perhaps I should start mentioning that in my reports as well.... :P

Nice fish! Where did you hook those? I'm going to try Bronte tomorrow, any suggestions on tackle or tecnique?

My guess would be..........in the mouth.......... :lol:

Great report Cliff and well done by you and Bly. I have never fished for steelhead in the dark, in over 30 yrs. of fishing for them.

Nice fish! Where did you hook those? I'm going to try Bronte tomorrow, any suggestions on tackle or tecnique?

Standard float setup should be fine. I usually start using roe, but always have a variety of jigs and flies as well. Good luck out there!

Be careful on any trib over the next few days...with the rain, and melt off from the warm temps, water conditions can change within minutes. I've been fishing before and then suddenly notice that the water seems "louder"...then take a look and see the levels rise quickly.