End of a ERA

Tybo

Since I started fishing, I have wrecked, burnt out or lost 100 spinning reels.

But of my last outing I'm retiring my last one without anti reverse.

Why does it seam to me that the old reels are alot stronger.

At a day and age that the metals and composites are far superior.

and I don't use them as much as the bait casters.

This old Shimano has a full turn back before the bailer stop and it has been smash

into the stop alot of times(the bailer would drop to the bottom when not held).

Used year after year also for ice fishing.

Joey use mid-priced reels($150) and can burn one in a year.

What ever happened to quality control.

I agree Paul..... I wish I would have had the foresight to keep my grandfathers old Johnson reels.... I learned to fish with those things..

nothing is built anymore as it was back when... everything is on the cheap, cheap labour (try to find something entirely built in North America anymore), cheap parts and who can supply what we want at the lowest cost possible...

we have become a world of disposable goods...

buy it, use it, chuck it...

I should call my Nanna and see if she still has some of Poppa's fishing stuff... (he is still with us.. but after several stokes and heart attacks etc... well he is not him anymore)

G

Yes ive been through many reels myself as well,and i learned something because of that,you only get what you pay for !!!!!...i still have a shimano stradic 2000 thats at least 18yrs old,i have had it repaired once,and it still works like a charm,not as brand new but theres sure alot of memories of big fish i caught using it too,lots of boat rash,and wear & tear,but hopefully it will still keep ticking for several more years..so now i buy better more expensive reels and its true,they are still made very well,and stand up better to years of punishment !!!! cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: well be happy now you can go get a real nice brand new shinny reel !!!!

Guest skeeter99

that is why you always buy shimano

unfortunately u get what you pay for

Shimano all the way and dont cheap out, think of it as a investment

Edited by skeeter99

All of my spinning reels (and rods) are Cabelas brand. Both are made by high end manufacturers for about half the price, or less. And with better warranty than the original manufacturer. I've been playing this game for a couple of decades now. Couldn't be happier.

In fact I've just ordered a Cabelas Prodigy (Diawa) spinning reel with an 8 1/2 foot Fish Eagle (Rain Shadow or Loomis blank) for $150.00. Try and buy these items separately with the original brand names on them. $500.00 if you're lucky.

Penn recently got rid of their Z series. Those reels were basically bullet-proof. I was at a fishing show a few weeks back and talked to their rep about it and he plain and flat-out admitted to the fact that it didn't pay for them to sell reels that would last forever. It is ridiculous but from their stand point I guess it does make sense.

FHR

Edited by FishHeadRic

Penn recently got rid of their Z series. Those reels were basically bullet-proof. I was at a fishing show a few weeks back and talked to their rep about it and he plain and flat-out admitted to the fact that it didn't pay for them to sell reels that would last forever. It is ridiculous but from their stand point I guess it does make sense.

FHR

Faulty, poor quality products don't sell a brand...Reputation does. Short term thinking on part of Penn. I know dozens upon dozens of people kicking themselves for selling their original green Abu Garcia Cardinals from back in the day. I personally don't see any great spinning reels from Abu today which can compare in terms of quality or durability to Shimano or Daiwa or even their original reels.

As Gerrit mentioned, I think outsourcing has a lot to do with a decline in quality. The older Shimano Stradics and Daiwa Emblem reels my dad and I own (which still run great) happen to be made in Japan (The origin of quality concepts like TQM, and JIT). It's rare today to find a mid-priced spinning reel at $150 and under to be made anywhere but China, Malaysia or Taiwan. You can have the greatest improvements and technology in a reel, but factor in a low to moderately-low skilled labour force to assemble them and the benefits of those add-ons is pointless (when they eventually fall apart or fail to work as intended).

Can't argue with older reels lasting forever! I still run a Mitchell 300 that is at least 40 years old, my light rod reel is a Mitchell 309 I bought when I was 13 years old, and I bought it used! Keep a few bail springs handy and your golden!

I have a Penn reel that's pushin 20 years, still looks and acts brand new and my main reels now are Quantum. Never had a Quantum let me down! I've let them down by braking the handle off, but not the reels fault!

As Raf mentioned, I still have a couple of Diawa's kicking around as well. The Silver series if I recall. Gears were crap, but the silly things still work!

Regular maintenance is key, but also, keeping them clean will help them last.

HH

I have 2 Quantum 'Rippin Reels' that we've had forever. I used them until the start of last year when I upgraded to a new Shimano Citica. Besides loose handles, they are in perfect shape. I think I am going to pick up another rod and use the spare Quantum also. Having 3 baitcast setups in your arsenal is good right? :)

I got a Mitchell spinning reel about 6 years ago, because I remember using an old Mitchell when I was a kid. The new Mitchell turned out to be junk. Since then, I've used Daiwa spinning reels exclusively, never had a failure or any problem whatsoever.

I have a Shimano TX from 3 years ago that I beat the crap out of, and not only does it all still work, it's still smooth as silk. I won't buy anything but Shimano anymore. Even the low end stuff lasts a good amount of time.