Garmin SD and Mico-SD Cards

LeXXington

Hey All:

Thinking of buying the blue charts on mico-SD..

Where is the best place to buy them, I checked out e-bay, and the standards but just checking for local place that has good pricing.

Weird that you can buy from Garmin MSRP cheaper than anywhere in Canada so far

Another more technical issue has anyone used a Micro-SD chip in the SD (coverter) and had it still work correctly.

Hate to buy a micro-SD card, upgrade my equipment and then need to buy a standard SD card of the same thing

Thanks for any advice

Guest skeeter99

it will work fine, you can buy the adapter for the micro card to make it the same size as a sd card and you can read and write from it, and if your unit has the slot for a sd card, use the adapter it will work no problems

the adapter essentially you insert the micro sd into a sd with a slot and becomes compatible, they are cheap!!!! I got 3 or 4 kicking around the house

Edited by skeeter99

Why not purchase a DVD instead of microSD card version? With DVD you can install it to your PC via MapSource. Browse it with PC and make waypoinits, routes or whatever you want and upload to your GPS.

Plus you can mix and match different map to single microSD card and swap the maps within the GPS intead of phycially swap out memory card to utilize different types of maps.

PLUS~ you can not make a backup of your microSD card because the informations on the map is tied to the physical unique serial # of that specific microSD card. So if you damage it or lose it, that is it for you. Where as with a DVD version, like I have said before you can use it on any microSD card you wish whether you mix it with other maps or not. You can also make a safe backup of the DVD.

I mean price of 1GB microSD cards can be had for little has under $10.

I always recommend anyone buying Garmin maps to buy it on DVD instead of SDcard version. For obvious reasons.

Why not purchase a DVD instead of microSD card version? With DVD you can install it to your PC via MapSource. Browse it with PC and make waypoinits, routes or whatever you want and upload to your GPS.

Plus you can mix and match different map to single microSD card and swap the maps within the GPS intead of phycially swap out memory card to utilize different types of maps.

PLUS~ you can not make a backup of your microSD card because the informations on the map is tied to the physical unique serial # of that specific microSD card. So if you damage it or lose it, that is it for you. Where as with a DVD version, like I have said before you can use it on any microSD card you wish whether you mix it with other maps or not. You can also make a safe backup of the DVD.

I mean price of 1GB microSD cards can be had for little has under $10.

I always recommend anyone buying Garmin maps to buy it on DVD instead of SDcard version. For obvious reasons.

Good points Mikey. I was thinking the same things.

I have a Garmin with the MicroSD card. MikeyMikey is bang on in his thoughts. Get the charts on CD/DVD and save yourself a lot of problems.

Being able to use the charts at home on your computer makes planning the trip so much easier...

Thanks guys, I was originaly thinking of doing that but with all the new devices going to the SD cards I was worried that the CD's might go like the bataMax...

I will have to head to the sportsman show (TJ offer free tickets here :D) and chat up the GPS\Sonar guys to make sure there compatible in the long term.

Thanks for the input

Think of it this way. If you want to have all the maps available to you that you use without having to switch chips from road/hydro etc. It is easier to buy the maps on CD and then transfer them to your SD card in the unit. You pick and chose which maps you upload. Some hydro some roads, etc.

If you go with the chip for the hydro, you are stuck using those maps until you swap out the chip.

The answer is get it on CD/DVD.

No need to talk to GPS/Sonar guys.

There is absolutely no need to think about the future compatibility issues. There is absolutely no difference between buying pre-installed microSD card map vs. transfering whatever mix of maps you want into your own microSD card.

You can either buy a reel and have them spool up for you or just do it yourself. Same idea.