Niagara Fishing Report (pics)

What a snow storm Niagara Falls just received! Finally it stopped after snowing hard for two days!

We were on the Niagara river Friday, the day started out really nice. Light winds, no ice floating around the river and best of all the steelhead fishing was ON!

307775038.jpg

We started at the backdrift and hooked one after our second drift on a pink roe bag. tried one more drift before moving on.......Ran up to the next spot, and the action was steady until lunch.

307774859.jpg

All darker fish with the biggest, 11lbs. The fish was purple and hit a live minnow.

307774860.jpg

By 9am the snow started, by 11am the snow was really coming down and the wind picked up!

307774857.jpg

We stopped for a quick lunch break (hot chicken soup and coffee) then back to fishing. The afternoon bite was better then the morning despite the weather. It was surreal out! Snow was blowing, boat totally covered, all the other boats had left. No big fish in the afternoon, but we did find a good school of smaller silvers.

307774856.jpg

The last fish of the day a small brown trout. We decided to call it a day just after 2:30. The guys were driving back to North Bay that afternoon, and the snow was really started to build.

307775039.jpg

Good call, the boat ramp and hill out of the parking lot was tough to climb with the 4X drive..........Best day out for numbers to date in 2008! Although we didn't get a 15+ lber, it was a great day Adventure on the Niagara River!

Cliff Kindly give us a few streamers that morning (CCR Streamers). If you haven't used them before, give them a try! We landed some nice silvers the second part of the day with them. Other baits that produce, hot pink roe bags, live minnows that we bought from Bill's bait & Tackle in Hamilton (bigger 4" common shiners). only two fish were caught on the US side the rest were from the Canadian drifts. Moving around was the key! We located two different schools of steelhead, in different areas. 20-to-27 feet was the depth that produce for us on Friday. Water was clear with a slight stain below the power dams, perfect Conditions!

Had to cancel the weekend trips because of the weather! I Will be at the Sports men show next week. At 1:00pm Thurs & Fri Nick Pujic from the Canadian Fly Fisher and myself will be taking Fly Fishing/Niagara fishing at the WFN stage. On Saturday at 1:30pm I'll be at Bass Pro Shops talking about fishing the Niagara River. If anyone is there and interested in learning a few old and new tricks about the Niagara River, come by and check it out.

See you on the River,

Paul Castellano

Cast Adventures

Great report. I love the Niagara reports. I can imagine that hill was a biach to get up, but yes 4x4 is a good thing.

That one fish is so purple, its unbelievable.

Thanks and great pics.

Joey