downriggers

yeahookk

greetings everyone .....a newbie to the boat owner dep't here....getting a 2003 pro v 1900 series next week....too excited for my own good...... :thumbsup_anim:

question is im want to get a couple of downriggers.....dont want to spend a whole lot...who does right....but ive never fished with them so i need to know of any that would be as they say stupid proof.....i was thinking more along the lines of a manual one....can anyone advise

There are a number of fine brand name downriggers - Scotty, Big Jon, Cannon, Walker etc If you planon fishing deep water - your new boat can easily handle the Great Lakes - I would suggest you consider the electric models. Scotty seems to be the big name on the water right now, but they seem bulky. Look into the Big jon captain packages - they have upgraded there motors to an equivalent Scotty high speed for a 10 lb ball.

I just bought pair of Cannon MAG 10 HS and got them at a killer deal.

They'll be going on a Lund Pro Sport 1700 as soon as this weather gets warmer.

With 250 feet per minute retrieval speed, Positive Ion and much more advanced then most of the competition and after extensive research I've decided to go with them vs. Scotty, Big Jon or Walker.

You can read more about them here:

http://www.cannondownriggers.com/products/....asp?pg=mag10hs

I've fished for few years with manuals but decided it's time to get nicer boat and install electric riggers on it.

If you decide to go for Cannon let me know and I can help you get very good deal on them.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Scotty's have my vote.I run Scotty manuals on my boat and love them.My brother has a Lund 1700 Pro Sport and he runs the Scotty Pro Pack electrics.Either way you go Manual or electric I would take a good look at the Scotty brand.

Don't go with manuals - you will regret that decision!

I second that !!!!!!!

After winding up a 12lb ball from 100' 20 or 30 times a day you'll be wishing they were electric !!!!!!!!

I'd take a look at Vectors as well, they have a nice looking product.

Al

SpoonMaster lures

Ya... ive had manuals for a while... i dont do much downrigging any more... but when you get a fishing on, its best not to have to do much messing around. when i buy next time it will definaltley be electric.

I have walker manuals, that are new to me, but I've fished with Scottys and I can say this....

Its a bit of chaos when you have a fish on LOL!

Trying to get the Ball up while fighting the fish, and hoping your partner is quick getting his rod and rigger in LOL...

but...

It adds a new elemt of challenge, they work, they are cheap, and one less Battery to carry.

But if I had the coin and could get electircs...I would

Try Kijiji, and keep an eye on the Classified.

There are deals but they go QUICK!!!!

It would be a shame to have that awesome new lund with MANUAL RIGGERS !!!!!...to besuccesfull at salmon fishing,you dont want to be widing up a manual rigger while fighting a 25lb king !!!!!...it doesnt work very well,as well as driving through 5ft swells......its a no brainer !!!!

Walker has some manuals that are reasonably priced, and can be converted to electrics if you choose,also at a decent price. Walker is made right here in Ontario, and very good about their warranty. We deal with a lot of trolling guys at our little shop, and they all have good things to say about Walker, especially if they have needed any service or anything.

There was some for sale in our classifieds very recently,im not sure yet if they are sold or not,but at least get 2 matching !!!!i have big-jons myself,so good-luck :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: oh ya there is another fishing site you might try for riggers,4 sale its www.spoonpullers.com its a site just for salmon fishing lake ontario,and they always have lots of salmon fishing tackle,and riggers for sale...just trying to help

Edited by fishindevil

If you decide to go for Cannon let me know and I can help you get very good deal on them.

Doh! I just bought a new pair of Mag 10's! I guess I snoozed.

Scotty and Big Jon are bulky riggers, that's why I bought the more "in-line" Mag 10's. Go electric. All resources point to power. You may be cursing yourself if you end up losing the "big one" because your other hand is not committed. .... and of course, that boat deserves to be fished like a pro.

Good luck!