ADvise on fishing and emm camping?

hi09

Hey can any one suggest some good places to try some winter river fishing in the GTA area?

Also what would you say is the best Provincial Park to go camping in in or around lets say 100Km of GTA - just pre planning some summer stuff for the kids... i guess we like nice sekluded parks - where its just u and nature - any ideas?

Cant answer on the winter fishing for the GTA

But if your wanting a secluded park your going to have to go further then 100 KM.

I would assume your are looking for a Nature Park as opposed to a Rec park.

Are you looking for something that allows motor boats ? < 20hp, > 20HP, canoe ?

http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/locator.html

As far as the summer camping. My kids favorites are always the ones with fantastic beaches and swimming . For that The Pinery PP and Sandbanks PP can't be beat. I think both are well over 100kms from you (in opposite directions) but well worth the drive. If you want Sandbanks you better book a.s.a.p. You can book either park five months in advance, but Sandbanks fills up within hours. Actually all the good spots are usually gone in five or ten minutes. You book them online at 7:00 AM the morning that's five months before your arrival date. Be sure to get on the computer early and have everything picked out (I usually choose at least 10 sites that I would accept of the available sites). Have your Visa info and everything ready and make sure you create an account prior to booking as well. I just booked mine on Monday (for August) and got the first site(on my list). Within five minutes most were gone. I checked a couple hours later and everything in that entire area was gone (even the ones in the middle of a field rated full sun, poor site quality/poor site privacy). Apparently it's the most popular PP in Canada?

Edited by kennyman

see my problem is i have a 16 month old + a pregnant wife plus elderlies with me - so the drive has to be less that an hour max 1.5 hrs

Last year we went to bronte creek for camping which was like 20 mins from Hamilton - it was nice - but you could see people houses from the camp site - so that kinda sucked - the pool was nice though

im booking a site at emily pp again this yr, had a good time there last time i went

some of the sites have quite a slope to them, its not the most secluded of parks, but the swiiming was okay, and the fishing was decent (better this yr now that i wont be stranded on shore hopefully)

just slightly NE of peterborough if i remember right, near Omemee

it was a 2hr drive for us, but im out in oakville

im booking a site at emily pp again this yr, had a good time there last time i went

some of the sites have quite a slope to them, its not the most secluded of parks, but the swiiming was okay, and the fishing was decent (better this yr now that i wont be stranded on shore hopefully)

just slightly NE of peterborough if i remember right, near Omemee

it was a 2hr drive for us, but im out in oakville, actually, about 5 mins from bronte park...took a drive thru there and couldnt really imagine stayin there heh, looks like the field near my parents house

Sturgeon Bay is great, but its 2.5-3 hours from Hamilton/Stoney Creek.

Its small (76 sites) and relatively quiet. I dont like recommending it, cus it seems to get busier by the year, but if you are wanting to take your family, its a great place. You dont have to worry about traffic in the park and its small so you cant get lost and nothing is far from your site.

Its about 20-25 mins past Parry Sound in Pointe Au Baril.

If you have a boat, GET A MAP. My parents used to own the Store/what used to be a resort across the road and we rented boats and had a lot of friends with boats come up. Even people that know the water still hit rocks that appear every year due to the decline in water levels.

Rule of thumb out in Sturgeon Bay....until you hit the Main Channel

If it looks like there is a rock, there is, if it looks like there isnt a rock, there probably is.

The water clarity from Big Island (have a look at a map) all the way to the park is very stained. Heavy weed growth is all over now, so just be careful. DO NOT CUT ANY CORNERS, stay wide on every one. I can take my boat from Midland to the French river and almost every inner channel but every year I see a rock that I didnt see last year.

I guess its the same all over GBay but this area in particular due to clarity is very very hard to navigate if you dont know where the rocks are. Its not like Severn Sound, the Moon River Delta or the Key so be aware. Sorry I know this is way off topic.

If anyone wants any info of the area, I will be glad to help out where to go.

There are loads of Pan fish for the kids here. Dont fish at the marina side, fish the beach side, you will have better luck. Or off the "Point" in the park, ask the staff they will tell you where it is.

Have fun, and good luck.

Mike