a couple of boat questions

motv8tr

Hey all, time for me to start thinking of changes to my boat. Right now I have two seats, I'd like to add two more, so are the posts a standard size? I'd like to match the size I have now so they are all interchangeable. Can I just go to BPS and get a pair of brackets and install them or should I mesure the diameter of the ones I have now and try to match the plates?

Slowpoke was very nice and gave me his old fishfinder, I know nothing about these, how much is a transducer on average and where's the best (least expensive) place to get them....what exactly am I looking for?

When towing the boat, for the mean time, can I get away with just tying the steering wheel so the motor doesn't shift side to side, and I guess the motor should be in the raised position or does it matter? My budget is very tight right now and I'm trying to avoid buying a transom saver until things improve a bit.

I'm sure I'll have more questions but I'll leave it at that for now :D

Maureen

Are you able to post picture of the seat recievers? It would give us a better chance to see what you need.

I'll let someone else chime in on the motor. Again it depends on ground clearance, boat size, motor lenght, etc. There should be a tilt tab on the side of your motor though to be able to trailer it raised. Then you could tie it down to the trailer to keep it from bouncing. Just an idea, again someone else probably has better info.

Like C-B said, post a pic of the seat hole(don't be imagining anything) for the post, there are a few variations. Transducers cost anywhere from $45-80 depending on model and features, again we need the Fishfinder brand name and model # to send you in the right direction. If you're towing the boat right now, motor down, full speed ahead, make like a snowblower...just kiddin. Tilt up, lay to one side, tie off the steering at the front. There could be a tilt/lock mechanism on the motor(right side from rear) to prevent the motor slamming back down. Some guys will say, motor down, I don't like leaving prop marks on the roads.

You shouldn't have to worry about the motor shifting when travelig..the natural friction in the steering should keep it in one place or another.

If there is sufficient ground clearance, travel with the motor down. Having the motor up with make it bounce and put alot of strain on the transom.

Just a thought here....Can a transom saver be jury rigged with a piece of 2 x 8 a hinge and clamp down strap. Bolt the hinge to the trailer screw the 2 x 8 to the hinge , cut a "V" into the other end of the 2 x 8 and wrap tight with a tie down strap.

(BTW Bernie if your Hummingbird is looking for a home, I may be able to find one for it.)

Just a thought here....Can a transom saver be jury rigged with a piece of 2 x 8 a hinge and clamp down strap. Bolt the hinge to the trailer screw the 2 x 8 to the hinge , cut a "V" into the other end of the 2 x 8 and wrap tight with a tie down strap.

(BTW Bernie if your Hummingbird is looking for a home, I may be able to find one for it.)

That's a pretty good description of a home version transom saver, mine started similar many years ago, a 2x6 was wide enough to make mine, carpet lined in the "V" end. I only travel with the motor up, no dings or road rash from flying or kicked up road debris on my lower end.

Hi Maureen,

I'm sure I sent the transducer with the unit... boat shaped thing with a metal bracket and long cable with a plug end.

Seats... many different sizes depending on the age/style of the bases. If you want to add rear seats, consider using what the front ones are on now and making boxes to replace them. They will feel more stable for driving and also add storage space by adding a hinged lid.

Motor... I run with my motor up and locked with the tab. I wouldn't advise running it in the down position unless you have a transom saver (or make-shift equivelent).

-Brian

Thanks for the reply guys, I'm not able to post pictures at the moment as I'm having problems with my connection, but will when I can.

Brian, yes I took another look and there is a transducer in the box....helps to know what it looks like :P...

I thought of the box idea for the seats, but I want them to all be interchangeable so I need to get the same as I have now, or put four new posts in...and from what I've seen so far that can be pricey.

I'll post some pics when I can.

Thanks

Maureen

Hometown. I guess Maureen wont be needing it. Next time I go out to the cottage I will try to locate where I put it. Its an old one but it still worked.

Do you ever come up this way? If not we will figure a way to get it there if you want it.

Read your motor manual , mine says to only use the transom lever that comes with motor and not to use a transom saver. So I googled the good and bad of these savers. The only thing I found from the pros was the bad. Most said that every bump you get from the road will be directly transfered to the motor transom. So not a good idea. Your motor comes with a lever that slips under a spot made to support the motor properly and free from sudden thumps on the transom.

I also use ratchet lines to hold my motor from moving, just put the ratchet line through the tow hook on one side at the stern of the boat and the other end around the transom of the motor and ratchet snug. It works great.

I suppose that if the transom saver companies were to give away free samples to the "pros", then all of a sudden they would be the best thing since sliced bread. When they are properly installed and snug along with the boat being snug on the trailer, everything moves in usison, no banging around at all. I made my first one and then have a store bought model since '96, no damage to my motor or boat.