Rod Holders

Matt15

I have scotty's myself,,,,but whatever you do DO NOT,,,,,,and i repeat DO NOT,,cheap out on rod holders,,,you will just regret it and end up buyingg the better ones down the road,,,,understand the type of fishing you will be doing and where they will be mounted on your boat(makes a differance for strain on the boat),,,and pick your best option from there,,,,,a good thing would be to have an experianced fisherman help ya set up and go over what would be your best bet.. i personally had cheap ones on my boat when i bought it and got tired of them really quick,,,i had a guy whith a tackle shop who also runs charters set me up with what i needed for walleye and salmon fishing...always a good move getting some help from the guys that know from experiance!!

I've got Scotty's on my boat, and had some 30lb salmon wail on them over the last 10 years, and yes, they are still in one piece. If they use them on the West coast for salmon a lot larger than the average musky, it leads me to believe they are good quality

I've got Scotty's on my boat, and had some 30lb salmon wail on them over the last 10 years, and yes, they are still in one piece. If they use them on the West coast for salmon a lot larger than the average musky, it leads me to believe they are good quality

Well scottys will handle 30lb salmon,they will sure hold for a muskie

Guys, it's not the fish that does the damage to the plastic rod holders, it's the baits that are being trolled and the pressure they apply.

Salmon baits are relatively small and don't have a huge amount of drag to them, plus the fact that they are often attached to a cannon ball, which is fastened by a wire cable to the downrigger. Basically all the holder is doing is holding on to the rod.

Musky baits on the other hand are much larger, with some well over a foot long and a diving lip the size of your hand, and when you've got something that big, diving down 20 or 30' at a speed sometimes of 5 or 6 miles per hour, there's some enormous pressure being put on the rod holder.

The plastic rod holders just have small tabs that fit into corresponing slots in the base and when the pressure builds, those tabs can strip.

I'm not putting the plastic holders down, infact many of the models on the market are excellent and the Scotty Strikers are a perfect example, I just think for tolling VERY big baits with enormous drag, your much safer with an all metal holder.

I've seen plastic holders fail while holding the pressure of large, deep diving baits, but I've never seen a metal one fail yet, although I'm certainly not saying it can't happen with them either.

That's only my dimes worth though.

I also like the extra security of using wire cables to attach my trolling gear to the boat. Nothing worse than seeing all that expensive gear taking an unplanned swim when you least expect it. :w00t:

Cnv2089-1.jpg

Edited by lew

I used Scottys my first year of musky fishing I just wish I had taken a pic of my holder after it stripped the teeth down to where the rod alomst went into the drink that fall. After the summer of pounding baits around LSC the big 9" Thumper Woodie almost took my rod off the boat since then I have switched to Downeaster Saltys and that is all that will hole my rods unless I use the stainless ones for board rods but then your looking at solid pipe to hold the rod streight up.

I would say its about a 50/50 split,from all the boats i see salmon fishing all summer,between saltys & scotty strikers,they are both very good at what they were designed for but i think the strykers distribute the weight more evenly,check out the members post with the picture it says it all !!!!! big holder for big heavy rods,they work great,thats why i have them cause of all the years my friends have had them and used tyhem with no problems,they are tought big time !!!

Good point, but I wonder how much drag an oversize dipsy with a lure behind will create in comparison to alligator bait?

Dipsey's do pull quite hard but it's a steady pull whereas the big muskie lures 'pound' (you really have to see it). Like everyone has said, downeasters. I won't trust all that gear to plastic.