Our Cat Nightmare!

KyleM

Just took our cat to get declawed as its destroying our furniture.

Hes a good cat, just loves to scratch and play (typical kitten)

Dropped him off at 8am this morning and was to pick him up anytime after 3.

I show up and this woman takes me in a room and says their has been some complications.

Apparently our cat is allergic to the anesthetic, his heart stopped at the end of the surgery and they

had to revive him. Well he's now temporarily blind, they arent sure if he has any long term damage.

He is responsive when they touch the inside of his eye, he was up walking around but Iam extremely concerned.

Andrea had just put her cat down after 7 years when she moved out here, the poor thing had a tumor in her stomach.

This is turning into a disaster, the cat was extremely sick when we purchased him....infact he almost died

the first week we had him...we thought we were in the clear and now this happens!

Has anyone heard of this happening before?

His names Tucker.

tucker.JPG

Ah man that's awful!!! Hopefully the blindness is due to swelling and that will get better after time...

My 2 kittens go in Monday morning for spay/neuter along with declawing.. They'll be there 3 nights..

Edited by BillM

aww :( geez i'm sorry. i lost my two kitties the last couple years and i was just heartbroken.

i googled it and there are other cases similar to yours, some have regained vision and others lost it forever.. I really hope your cat gets better!

Geeze....

Thats ruff for sure.

Did they offer to do a pre-opp blood work test?

Just curious, as our Vet tests for this situation....its appearently common

So we paid this fee for all our pets, so its on file with their office

The blood work is generaly $70-$100 so....

Unfortunatly many Vets skip this step and don't even ask the ownner being some people veiw it as exsessive.

I've not known any one who had it happen to their cats, although I do know a PERSON who its happened to.

They were fine after the fact, but it was scarey for sure.

The Reaction caused swelling that cause pressure on the optic nerve...I'm no doctor but thats the explanation I remember?

Once the swelling went down the sight returned, and now they were a pretty little braclet(medic alert)

My wife is also Alergic to it...

We found out the hard way, when she had her wisdom teeth taken out.

She wouldn't wake up...had to keep her on the oxygen, but it could have been worse

I agree with Crappie....

They are cute and cuddly but they can be pretty resiliant.

Sounds like your little furball has used atleast 2 of 9 lives :)

Edited by Cookslav