Walleye for Dummies

Golfisher

Does anyone know of a good instructional DVD on walleye? Last year was a dry year for me, as I managed to catch a grand total of zero walleye. The year before wasn't much better with just three pickerals. I figured one way to improve my odds for this year's spring trip is to actually do some studying before going in blindly with just a jig and a twister tail. I've had enough of books and magainzes though; I need something more visual for my half-fried brain cells, and something more substantial than fishing shows that yak about sponsored products. Any recommendations?

While I think that instructional videos are fine, I think that you have enough experience under your belt to make a go of it yourself. Take the experience you have now and pair it up with a few hookups with a few OFNers.

That's the way I'd do it Bud.

Maybe this summer if we can arrange it, I could take you guys out Down in the west end of Erie. The walleye fishing is amazing and while trolling planer boards is the normal plan of attack, we could do some drift fishing casting your favorite walleye bait.

Well i am sure there are alot of us here that could help ya out,,,just keep throwing out the questions,,,but fisrt lets hear a little about where you fish,, when you fish,,and how you fish,,,that will give us a starting point,,

Your right Sonny,where ,how and when. River fishing, Great Lake fishing and Northern Lakes fishing for Walleyes are all done differently. Some lakes you must fish at the right times only,other lakes its any time. River fishing usually just before dark and right at sun-up.There are tons of ways to catch them and each person has their own favorite method. The main thing to remember is that you must find the fish,they do not find you! Then get your bag of tricks out and find out what works.

P.S. Try hiring a guide who knows the area you fish and he or she will show you the spots and some tricks.

I know you said enough with books but I have found the In-Fisherman series of walleye books ( not video, I always find more hero shots and less info in videos) to be pretty good guides that cover most types of water and appropriate ways/times to fish it.

Edited by Dano

The last two walleye openers were in Gowganda and Shining Tree areas. In the first trip, the fish were still hanging around their spawning grounds at the river mouth and so I could at least locate them. The biggest problem for me is locating them in a lake. I suppose trolling is the way to go to find them in an unfamilar lake, but even in a lake that's not that big, say 5 miles long and 2 miles wide, it's rather daunting to cover so much water--and the fish keep moving all the time!

So, how do you guys go about locating walleye in an unfamiliar lake? Do you look for particular structures/features and hit them hard, or do you more or less troll the whole lake systematically grid by grid? When trolling, do you always keep your lure close to the bottom or run them at different depths?

While I think that instructional videos are fine, I think that you have enough experience under your belt to make a go of it yourself. Take the experience you have now and pair it up with a few hookups with a few OFNers.

That's the way I'd do it Bud.

... but don't make Daplumma one of those OFNCers, because he sucks at Wall-ice fishin' too!!!... Too bad he's not here to defend himself! :w00t:

Don't ask Whopper either, 'cause he sucks too... not as bad as Daplumma though.

Take that nasty-ass jig and twister tail grub and throw it away! (that's Whoppers problem too!) Get yourself some worm harnesses and live crawlers or leeches, or live minnows. A 4 hook Sabiki rig tipped with worms, leeches, or live minnows works well too.

Crankbaits like the Wally Diver or Rapala jointed Shad Rap will catch some too, but not as many as live bait... but they may be bigger.

Taper... I would be interested in going out for walleye (float fishing?) on the west end of Lake Erie...

i live in London and am new to the baord as of last weekend.

pls advise or send me a message...whichever works best...

Thanks

splashhopper

London,ON

The last two walleye openers were in Gowganda and Shining Tree areas. In the first trip, the fish were still hanging around their spawning grounds at the river mouth and so I could at least locate them. The biggest problem for me is locating them in a lake. I suppose trolling is the way to go to find them in an unfamilar lake, but even in a lake that's not that big, say 5 miles long and 2 miles wide, it's rather daunting to cover so much water--and the fish keep moving all the time!

So, how do you guys go about locating walleye in an unfamiliar lake? Do you look for particular structures/features and hit them hard, or do you more or less troll the whole lake systematically grid by grid? When trolling, do you always keep your lure close to the bottom or run them at different depths?

Hey If you are that far up north for opener then they still may be in the spawn or in there spawning areas. If they are just out of the spawn then you should be in luck. Just find the baitfish they are feeding on and you should find the walleye. In the lakes in southern ontario its easy you just follow the boats lol. up north you haev to work for it but if you do find the spot and your the only guy on the water.....look out it will be awesome.

cheers!

There's an old saying that 80% of the fish are in 10% of the water. Consequently, it's not necessary to fish the complete lake. Both the internet and individual web sites have a plethora of information on walleye fishing (e.g. preferred water temperatures, preferred food sources, preferred structures, seasonal haunts, etc). Try to get bathymetric maps for the lakes you will be fishing and study them for prospective spots to hunt for walleye. A good sonar unit (3000 watts of power + a 400 X 400 pixel display screen) combined with a willingness to use various fishing methods should put walleye in your cooler.